Author Topic: REQ FW v1.01.11 add Volume Keys (instead of Subtitle Keys)  (Read 2202 times)

November 26, 2009, 05:00:53 AM
Read 2202 times

Sternenfeuer

REQ FW v1.01.11 add Volume Keys (instead of Subtitle Keys)

November 26, 2009, 10:12:31 AM
Reply #1

motor_

• Personal Text
    Live to ride. Ride to live.
Why not both? Currently the right/left keys are for subtitle adjustment but up/down are empty and a more logical layout...
Motor_

November 26, 2009, 09:21:31 PM
Reply #2

wiiBox

Not for me.  Volume controls mean audio manipulation which can mean significant audio degredation.  As far as I'm concerned, I don't need it.    ;)

No offence!

Cheers.

November 28, 2009, 04:56:35 AM
Reply #3

motor_

• Personal Text
    Live to ride. Ride to live.
Audio manipulation? No need. Just a bit more or less of gain suffices (more output voltage in milivolts).

I'm also very picky with sound and it should not affect quality unless you use too much gain just like a preamp would do. Besides most mediaplayers and media hard disks like iomega, popcorn... do have a volume setting of some kind, just like cable and DVB boxes.

It is a must if you use a proyector for instance.
Motor_

November 28, 2009, 05:40:45 AM
Reply #4

migube

+1

Although, I'd then like the choice for user programmable keys :)
-----
WdTvLive - LG BD390 - Philips 47PFL8404h - Logitech  Z5400 - DM7000 - Synology 107+
If you developed some application or know about some new WDTVLive app.bin or binary files, please update the Wiki on http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Appz

November 28, 2009, 06:49:06 AM
Reply #5

wiiBox

Audio manipulation? No need. Just a bit more or less of gain suffices (more output voltage in milivolts).

I'm also very picky with sound and it should not affect quality unless you use too much gain just like a preamp would do. Besides most mediaplayers and media hard disks like iomega, popcorn... do have a volume setting of some kind, just like cable and DVB boxes.

It is a must if you use a proyector for instance.
Hello motor,

That would be okay with the analog outs, but it's not possible to simply add millivolts in the digital space.   :D

It's not a big deal if they implement this as long as there is a way to get a clean signal level; as it were.  Maybe at the 100 percent mark?  Or maybe people prefer it at the 50 percent mark and then boost after that?

It's not a horrible idea, as long as there is no audio degredation, but it depends a bit on the hardware mixers.  Some designs necessitate an extra chip.  I was just trying to keep some bastardized algorithm from being used just because they felt the need to keep up with the other players' feature set.  ;)

I don't know, maybe people here wouldn't mind the trade off?

November 29, 2009, 08:51:18 AM
Reply #6

Whoheart

I say NO

If i want to adjust the sound I'll do it on the TV ;)

And we need the arrow keys for skipping around the video! (Sorely needed)
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

November 29, 2009, 11:24:55 AM
Reply #7

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
-1 on this

Why degrade the audio quality? Plus you are asking for it with Toslink, HDMI, and analog all carrying the audio in one form or another. 

This is a bad idea.  Let your TV or receiver handle it.

Also, you will have a bunch of people with the sound turned down on the WDTV trying to turn up their TVs and wondering why it is so quiet.
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

November 29, 2009, 07:26:02 PM
Reply #8

Stumpy

REQ FW v1.01.11 add Volume Keys (instead of Subtitle Keys)

At the risk of looking dumb, is it possible to take another remote and control the WDTV Live? (ie: Logitech Harmony). You could control the WDTV Live as you currently do, use the volume buttons on the remote to control your TV/Amp?

That would seem like it would fit your bill of 1 remote, and not cause any audio degradation.

ASSUMING, that you can use the remote (which I probably should have checked online, but just throwing out some options).  ;)

November 30, 2009, 02:36:44 AM
Reply #9

wiiBox

At the risk of looking dumb, is it possible to take another remote and control the WDTV Live? (ie: Logitech Harmony). You could control the WDTV Live as you currently do, use the volume buttons on the remote to control your TV/Amp?

That would seem like it would fit your bill of 1 remote, and not cause any audio degradation.

ASSUMING, that you can use the remote (which I probably should have checked online, but just throwing out some options).  ;)
I've read people using the Harmony remote just fine.  I'm not sure how they get it to do that, but I use a cheap RCA learning remote to do precisely what you are talking about.  It's not the best option, as it happens.  But it's a great alternative.  The only problem is that I can't get it to repeat the navigation keys when I press and hold the arrow buttons like on the original remote.  So I end up clicking a lot more than I really need to, especially when using the on screen keyboard.

It may not be as fancy as the harmony series of remotes but I can control all the major features of 4 devices using a combination of built in profiles and learning new commands.  YMMV!

Cheers!   ;)

November 30, 2009, 11:03:22 AM
Reply #10

Whoheart

If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

November 30, 2009, 02:56:08 PM
Reply #11

jis

December 01, 2009, 07:54:03 AM
Reply #12

dferregu

December 14, 2009, 03:58:41 AM
Reply #13

seconds away

DVD players don't have volume controls, VCR's don't have volume controls, record players don't have volume controls.... I think you get the picture!
I never use a big word when a diminutive one will do

December 19, 2009, 03:37:54 PM
Reply #14

Radio_Flyer

Not a good idea, especially if you are using digital audio over HDMI or Toslink. I've never seen a device control volume on a digital audio signal. I still think it's a bad idea for analog audio, because then you have two conflicting volume controls. The WD TV Live volume may be accidentally set so low that you max out the TV volume just to hear, and you start to get fuzz. Bad idea either way.