Author Topic: Problem: WDTV live and WD My Book World Edition  (Read 15155 times)

November 25, 2009, 01:39:46 AM
Read 15155 times

mmalitz

Hi,

I am currently experiencing some first problems with my WDTV live and a WD NAS. I am using the WD My Book World Edition II (white lights) with a Twonky Media Server 5.1 running on it.

1. As read on some forums thumbnails are not displayed if the MyBook hdd is searched via the media server. When I access via network share I can see thumbnails - but doubled.
Is there any possibility to avoid double thumbnails?

2. Is there any possibility to place a relative link in the WD share or in the WDTV live to avoid multiple clicks to get to my video files? That's sheer madness.
When I use the media server I have to click on VIDEO/media server/WD Mybook/Videos/Folder. That's too much!
And when I use network share I have to click on VIDEO/network shares/WD Mybook/Public/Video. That's also too much!
Isn't there any way to click on Video and see my Video folder directly???

3. I am not able to delete files using the WDTV live file management, when I connect as admin to the Twonky Media Server 5.1 running on my MyBookWorld. An error appears: Cannot delete protected file. Why protected?? I created a user named WDTV in the MyBook configuration but that did also not work.
Is there a possible connection to point 1 (no thumbnails via media server)?

Is there anybody who can help me with these problems?

with kind regards

Michael

December 03, 2009, 05:55:58 PM
Reply #1

wetsock

I have the exact same set up that you do and I'm running into the same problems.   I've been trying to find a fix for it, but i'm running out of options.

1. The double thumbnail option through network share is a known issue with the wdtv live, many people have this problem and hopefully a homebrew or firmwire fix will happen soon.

2. The media server option doesn't display any thumbnails for me either for movies or folders.

3. The best possible solution i've tested was to just run a usb cord between the two devices and treat it as a usb hd.  If you go with this method you don't get the duplicate thumbnails and the drill down is a touch cleaner because you can move the files into a separate folder in the root of the WD My Book.  Now for the really stupid part... both devices require the cord to be connected with USB A (Male), meaning you need to special order a double sided USB A (male) cord.  I ordered the cord to give it a try, i'll toss you an update once I get around to testing it.

December 07, 2009, 06:06:18 PM
Reply #2

SCADA.30

I run the same setup, so what I did is add the word "movie" to the end of each media file.  That way the folder and the .jpg file are the same and the movie is different.  Therefore you see the thumbnails in the main menu, and when you click on the one you want the thumbnail and a disk icon are in the file and you always know what whick one the movie is.

It's defiantly not a perfect solution, but better then showing to thumbnails in the folder.  Hopefully newer firmware in the future only allows access to supported media specific to what sub menu you are in.  IE, if you are in movvies it should only show ISO, MKV, VOB, AVI..ect, not JPG.

December 08, 2009, 02:52:24 AM
Reply #3

mmalitz

Finally I managed to view thumbnails using the WDTV live and accessing the twonky media server on the WD My Book World Edition II!
Thus it is possible to view thumbnails using media servers!

The solution:
You have to access the WD My Book via SSH (I used the program WinSCP and the password "welc0me" as defined in the WD My Book Advanced Configuration). Look for the folder twonky/resources/views
and edit the files. My twonky version is 5.1 so I found a view-definitions.xml and some other xml-files. I created a new one named test.view.xml.
For example you can use this config:
Code: [Select]
<view name='test' path='test.view'>
<navtree>
<container id='video'>
</container>
<container id='video/folders'>
</container>
</navtree>
</view>

Afterwards you have to edit the view-definitions.xml using the same IDs:

Code: [Select]
<container name='My movies' id='video' upnp:originalTrackNumber='1' createClass='object.item.videoItem.movie,object.item.videoItem.online.movie' class='object.container' albumart='1'>
</container>

<container name='My movies alphabetical' id='video/folders' upnp:originalTrackNumber='2' createClass='object.item.videoItem.movie,object.item.videoItem.online.movie' class='object.container' albumart='1'>
<container buildon='dc:title[2]' class='object.container' createClass='object.item.videoItem.movie' />
</container>

The "albumart='1'" enables thumbnail-support even on media servers!
Don't know why this albumart option isn't enabled from the outset...

January 29, 2010, 11:11:05 AM
Reply #4

bw76

Hi there,

I have the same issue with the My Book World Ed II.

I read the post about running a USB cable between the two. I would prefer to do this, but as I read it, the USB is only for attaching more discs. Is this not correct? Did you do anything special on the server or the WD Live TV to get it to work? It doesnt really seem to work for me.

Regarding WinSCP - can you please explain in steps what to do? Im a bit of a newbie, and dont really know how to attack the situation  ;D

Hope you guys can help me out.

Thanks

January 31, 2010, 07:41:15 AM
Reply #5

mmalitz

No, it is not possible to attach the WD TV Live to the WD My Book World Edition using USB. You have to use your LAN connection.

WINSCP:
1. get it there: http://winscp.net/eng/download.php
2. Run the program
3. create a new login: Host name: your MyBook's IP-address; User name: root; Password: welc0me
4. navigate to the folder "twonky/resources/views"
5. right-click to edit the files (or first copy them to your local drive, edit and finally copy back)