Author Topic: Wrong Colour Space Conversion (WD Confirm FIXED and in next firmware, no ETA)  (Read 21896 times)

February 19, 2010, 08:26:03 PM
Reply #45

wiiBox

Oh, boy!  I'm holding my breath...  it only took a year!!!    ::)

Anyway, thanks to Hokeysmoke and coastline for their extraordinary effort!

Cheers!

February 19, 2010, 08:33:36 PM
Reply #46

Hokeysmoke

Now the question for me is when will it be fixed in my box? - the original WDTV.

February 20, 2010, 03:19:20 AM
Reply #47

coastline

Thanks guys, but I wouldn't have got anywhere without all the info from Hokeysmoke.  Before I found his posts on the issue I thought my eyesight was going!

Hokeysmoke - seriously, thanks! 

With regard to your WDTV, one suggestion would be to post something on the WDTV "ideas" page:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-HD-Mini-Ideas/idb-p/TVHD

I know it's a joke after all this time but the developers are using this now and do post against each "idea" any comments they have and whether they acknowledge the issue or not. 

If you throw in a link to my "idea" post:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Ideas/Wrong-Colour-Space-used-for-unflagged-HD-material/idi-p/8665

that they have already acknowledged/fixed, then I can't see them having any choice but to acknowledge and fix it for the WDTV as well.

Judging by the speed of fixing it for the Live I can't see it being a big deal to fix in the WDTV!

If you post back here when you have added your "idea", I'll add a comment to your post and increase your Kudos Score to push it up the list. 

**** I'm sure everyone on here will do the same - the least we can do! ****  (it only needs 8 of us to get it to the top of the list!)

February 22, 2010, 02:15:38 PM
Reply #49

coastline

Hi Hokeysmoke,

No problem, as I said it's the least I could do.  I've posted a comment and upped your Kudos by 1.

****Can everyone else do the same if you have a spare couple of minutes****

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-HD-Mini-Ideas/Fix-color-decoding-it-s-wrong-most-of-the-time/idi-p/11461

I'm hoping they will respond pretty quickly on this so fingers crossed.

March 18, 2010, 02:53:26 PM
Reply #50

wiiBox

Hey everyone,

How about some good news on this thread?  Well, here it is!!

Pre-release 1.02.19 seems to include a fix!!   :o
And check >here< for more info.

This is a limited time offer so if you'd like to test it out, you must hurry.

But be aware there are bugs.  Either way, an official FW with fix is near!

Good luck!
PS. Don't panic if it's slow to install.

March 19, 2010, 01:59:58 AM
Reply #51

coastline

Hi Wiibox,

Thanks for the heads up on this.

I can't see any mention of this in the release notes - did I miss it or have they just slipped it in without telling us?

Have you tested with the Cypheros file?

If it's definitely fixed I'll give the Beta a go.

March 19, 2010, 06:29:48 AM
Reply #52

wiiBox

Hi Wiibox,

Thanks for the heads up on this.

I can't see any mention of this in the release notes - did I miss it or have they just slipped it in without telling us?

Have you tested with the Cypheros file?

If it's definitely fixed I'll give the Beta a go.

Cypheros' files were the first few I reached for after testing the new preview window feature - which is great, by the way.
There is a new workgroup renaming option and list views can now be changed on the fly!  .MP4 play back is much improved... etc, etc.

Anyways, all the test files I have related to this topic, passed.  Which was a very pleasant unexpected surprise!

It irks me a bit to have to repeat this but, maybe you should reset and power cycle your box if you haven't done so lately before you upgrade.  I ran into a bit of a 'stuck at zero' dilemma when I did my update.  Fortunately, the upgrading procedure is so robust now that it allowed me a couple of power cycles to do a swap of the flash drive, and another to swap usb ports (seems I had to use the back port for it to recover... or something).  It's a bit of a superstition, but it won't hurt.   ;)

Good luck!

March 23, 2010, 05:16:57 PM
Reply #53

YukonTrooper

Hey, guys.  So I sent a support message to WD asking if the Gen.1 player will get the same color space fix as the Live.  It sounds like, at least from the reply of the WD agent, that the Gen.1 will get another firmware update, but that the color space fix probably won't happen.  Here is the transcript:

Customer (Me)   03/20/2010 05:06 PM
Hi there. I am inquiring about future firmware updates for the original WD TV HD Media Player. Will there be any, or has support been dropped for this product? Specifically, I am curious if the player will receive the same color space conversion fix that will be available in the next WD TV Live firmware update. Cheers.

Response (Pablo R.)   03/22/2010 12:08 PM
Dear DAVE,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Pablo R.

The support for the WD TV Gen 1 has not been discontinued, we will keep updating this device. Regarding your question of the color space, this might not be possible in the WD TV Gen 1, as both devices have different interface.

I hope that we have met your expectations today and that you are satisfied with our service. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Customer (Me)   03/22/2010 07:13 PM
According to Western Digital engineers, the color space fix for the Live was rather easy to implement. Considering the Gen.1 WD TV HD runs on the same processing chip (I realized this was false afterward), it should be relatively easy to fix for that player as well. Perhaps you could forward this message to one of the engineers? Also, when is the next update for the Gen.1 WD expected? Even a rough estimate would be great. I'd like to know if the color space issue will be fixed so that I can decide whether or not to sell my Gen.1 WD and
pick up an ASUS O!Play instead, which handles non-flagged HD material correctly for color space. Cheers.

Response (Pablo R.)   03/23/2010 05:20 AM
Dear DAVE,

Thank you for your reply.

I did escalated this to our engineers, and they response was that this might not be integrated in the Gen 1, as for the next firmware update, even thou we do not give estimate in firmware release, I press a bit the topic and we are expecting to have a new release by the end of April or mid May.

I hope that we have met your expectations today and that you are satisfied with our service. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

I've replied by asking him if the Gen.2 will receive a fix and will update when I hear back.  Cheers.

March 23, 2010, 08:41:10 PM
Reply #54

wiiBox

Check this out, YukonTrooper.

The A100 has the same innards, basically, that the WDTV 1 has.  Sybass seems to have a fix in their latest beta.

Maybe you can mention how Sybass has been able to fix the problem in your next email exchange.

Good luck.

April 01, 2010, 04:50:03 AM
Reply #55

Artz

Can anyone confirm, is this fixed in the new 1.02.21 firmware?

April 01, 2010, 11:02:52 AM
Reply #56

wiiBox

Can anyone confirm, is this fixed in the new 1.02.21 firmware?
Hi Artz,
Test files say it is fixed.
cheers