Author Topic: How to convert video to be playable on WDTV?  (Read 5128 times)

February 21, 2009, 01:45:48 AM
Read 5128 times

birdie

Hi,

I have this video:
http://ed.plonkmedia.org/Elephants_Dream_HD.avi
(free, legal download!)
but the file does not play on the WDTV.

Anyone has any idea how to convert the video to a playable format without loosing the HD-resoloution or the AC3-surround sound?
I also have the BigBuckBunny from the openmovy project, and this vid works fine.
(see http://mirrorblender.top-ix.org/peach/bigbuckbunny_movies/big_buck_bunny_1080p_surround.avi)

it looks like the bunny is mpeg4 and the elephants dream is "S MPEG 4", if I looked correct.

So: Any ideas?

Regards
Stefan

February 27, 2009, 11:17:25 PM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I just saw this post.  I will play with it this weekend.

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 10, 2009, 03:11:04 AM
Reply #2

stefangun

IIRC the Elephants Dream movie is coded in high definition MPEG2. The hardware decoder chip built in the WD TV supports MPEG2 in resolutions up to 1920x1080 with a maximum of 24 frames per second. Could it be that the Elephants Dream uses therefore more then 24 fps? I will try to play the movie this weekend and post my results.

April 10, 2009, 12:02:04 PM
Reply #3

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Do you have another link to that?  I am getting a File Not Found error.

UPDATE: The HD links on their web page also give me an error.  Non USA versions seem to link though.

Found it in 1080p on Usenet.  Will take a look tonight.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 02:35:00 PM by jayallan »
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 11, 2009, 11:52:04 AM
Reply #4

Starstream

I haven't downloaded it but a little Google search says the Elephants Dream (from its own website) is encoded with MPEG-4 ASP (either DivX or XviD).

So
A) The profile used when encoding with XviD is not supported by the WDTV
B) the WDTV does not support HD DivX/XviD (or it does but its related to profile issue)
C) They used some other relatively unknown MPEG-4 ASP encoder with settings that don't work

If you want to convert but leave the quality, resolution and audio intact, download Ripbot264 use the CQ [Constant Quality] mode of 18 [or lower if not happy with results] select MKV as the container so it will copy the audio without re-encoding and it will convert to a compatible H.264 MKV video which will play on the WDTV.

April 21, 2009, 08:26:41 AM
Reply #5

apd-yannis

the 1024 version played fine with fw 1.02

April 21, 2009, 12:02:57 PM
Reply #6

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools

April 21, 2009, 12:28:24 PM
Reply #7

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
If you have a USENET address there is a fill 1080p MKV of it posted online.  I downloaded it and it plays perfectly!