Author Topic: Which HDD?  (Read 1688 times)

November 19, 2009, 10:27:14 AM
Read 1688 times

zetor12

I have been looking at which HDD to buy to go with my WD TV, I thinking 320GB or 500GB will be big enough for my needs, the main criteria is that it is nice and slim as it won't always be next to my WD TV but in my suitcase when I am travelling, I also don't want to plug a power supply in to it, should I be thinking of the WD My Passport or are there other HDD's that would be better?

November 22, 2009, 11:02:35 PM
Reply #1

zetor12

It did just occur to me, would a portable drive work on the WD TV powered just from the USB port?

November 23, 2009, 01:00:45 AM
Reply #2

Nillbymouth

It did just occur to me, would a portable drive work on the WD TV powered just from the USB port?

Yes, portable drives do work without extra power. I use a WD My Passport and also an old Freecom 2.5inch drive which is about 4 years old. I have no problems with either.

November 23, 2009, 03:19:03 AM
Reply #3

Moosetooth

I'd be interested in hearing a knowledgeable answer to this too. After a couple days my Seagate Desktop external drive failed to be recognized by my wdtv live. Tried it on 2 different xp computers running XP. Got a" Drive is not formatted error". Been using this drive 6 months without problems. Used a program called testdisk to bring it back but it was a pretty iffy thing. Nearly lost over 500Gb of stuff that include hours of home video tranferred from Beta tapes. I learned my lesson and will backup my stuff to DVD but gee whiz... that's kinda why I bought the external drive in the first place!  I'd like to know if any particular external drives are more reliable than others.
                  Thanks for any advice offered