Author Topic: what's compatible or not?  (Read 1532 times)

November 21, 2009, 05:32:15 AM
Read 1532 times

alexade

Hello all,

I have recently got a WD TVHD - and finally after a lot of messing around find that my Buffalo Linkstation Live is not compatible via USB. I have to say that given all the info about it, there is NOTHING on the WD page for the product that says you need to find a compatible hard drive.. in fact is says work " play content from most popular USB dives " - i think that is misrepresentation as there are only 5 non WD drives listed! Anyhow rant over!

Thanks to another thread I fund I could use rad's custom firmware to network share - but I am not technically efficient enough to be able to attempt this

SO 

Could anyone tell me if my next suggested combination is likely to work - or am I just going to have to send everything back and buy a  WD TC Live AND a WD drive? (I bought the Linkstation coz it has a bit torrent client built in apart from anything else) -

WD TV Live
Buffalo Linkstation Live (LS CH 1TL)
A 5 port ethernet switch (brand OLITECH   !)

I have read all the posts about networking problems - hope all THOSE get sorted out with the next firmware update - this thing should be easy to use not be baffling people who build networks for a living!!

Thanks in advance - i really hope it will all work as if it does it should be the best solution around at the moment...

Alex

November 23, 2009, 04:18:43 AM
Reply #1

mrbill

Hello all,

I have recently got a WD TVHD - and finally after a lot of messing around find that my Buffalo Linkstation Live is not compatible via USB. I have to say that given all the info about it, there is NOTHING on the WD page for the product that says you need to find a compatible hard drive.. in fact is says work " play content from most popular USB dives " - i think that is misrepresentation as there are only 5 non WD drives listed! Anyhow rant over!

Thanks to another thread I fund I could use rad's custom firmware to network share - but I am not technically efficient enough to be able to attempt this

SO 

Could anyone tell me if my next suggested combination is likely to work - or am I just going to have to send everything back and buy a  WD TC Live AND a WD drive? (I bought the Linkstation coz it has a bit torrent client built in apart from anything else) -

WD TV Live
Buffalo Linkstation Live (LS CH 1TL)
A 5 port ethernet switch (brand OLITECH   !)

WD has a list of "things" that will play with the WD TV Live.  READ IT, if it isn't on the list it probably will not play. If it is on the list, it still might not play.

You might want to consider taking it back. I read reviews on the Buffalo Linkstation Live (LS CH 1TL), rated a 2 out of 5. Lots of problems, so they say.

If you feel you lack technical efficiency you might want to stick to the tried and true.  Buy a WD TV Live and WD USB HDDs. They seem to be compatable.

I have read all the posts about networking problems - hope all THOSE get sorted out with the next firmware update - this thing should be easy to use not be baffling people who build networks for a living!!

I run a pair of WD hdds and had very few problems with networking. I made one tweek to computer and have zero since.

Alex

Running Win 7 Ultimate 64 and no problems anywhere.