Author Topic: New to All of This (DVD to WDTV question)  (Read 2889 times)

November 28, 2009, 04:35:21 PM
Read 2889 times

scottyb159

I want to apologize upfront for the basic questions. I just got my WDTV Live and do not know much about all the formats for putting on hard drive.  I have an old Archos and I moved my AVI files over, but quality on these files is rather poor (always have been).  I have several conversion programs, but most of them seem to have similar low level formats.  I spent the last hr plus reading about conversion on this forum and am more confused than ever.  It seems MKV is the popular format used?  I ripped one DVD at DVD format but it makes so many VOB files that it seems I have to click multiple folders to play the movie in WDTV and I do not have the cover art.  Can someone tell me the "simplest" way to convert my DVD's for use on the WDTV (and to have the cover art when I browse on the WDTV.)  I do not need the best quality possible, and I only need the main movie and cover art, not the rest of the DVD, subtitles, etc.  Thanks for the help.

On another note, I bought the WDTV Live, but noticed that the original is only $75 at Best Buy.  I do not plan to network from my WD.  I attached a hard drive to it.  If I buy another one for one of my kids rooms should I just get the original?  Any other real benefit to paying for the newer version?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 11:39:14 AM by jayallan »

November 29, 2009, 05:29:27 AM
Reply #1

scottyb159

As a follow up, last night I tried using Apple TV format 720p on one of my programs.  It took a couple of hrs and did not work, the video is all lines (audio is fine).  Today I tried makemkv and had no luck as well.  One movie copied in 6 minutes and has no audio. The other made about 10 files, took under 2 minutes and is all choppy but audio is there.  I know these are basic questions, but is there justa simple way for people that are not knowledgeable about all of the various techniques,  IS there a sticky somewhere with the basics that I missed?

November 29, 2009, 11:38:29 AM
Reply #2

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Scott, 

There is no quick answer for you.  There is no single precess that is right for everyone.  This is all broken down and discussed

Here http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=133.0  and

Here http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=7.0

Everything you need to know is described, detailed and debated in those threads.
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

November 29, 2009, 12:41:56 PM
Reply #3

scottyb159

JayAllen,

Thank you.  I had read that thread but was still a bit confused by the process and chapters.  I was unsure how you knew which chapters you wanted if you just want the main movie.  Couple of questions, cant I just use a DVD copy program and transfer to my hard drive and play the first VOB files?  Do I need to use a program to encode?  Is the only purpose of encoding to shrink the file?

Also,ifF I have several VOB files in a folder, I am able to play the movie by simply hitting the first one on WD but I need to go through multiple folders, can I avoid this?

Finally, you reference auto gk program, but I am unsure why this is necessary.  For instance once someone runs handbrake what extra does the auto gk program do to the file?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:58:00 PM by scottyb159 »

November 29, 2009, 01:14:59 PM
Reply #4

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Hey Scotty,

I can see where you are confused.  Chapter support is not available on the WDTV with any format other than, I believe, MKVs  The best user friendly program for converting DVDs to anything is DVDfab.  VOB files are direct copies and do not require any encoding time.  They will play via the WDTV but not with chapters.   TV shows and extras can be split by title with DVD fab into different vobs.  So you can skip that way.  DVDfab can also combine all the files on a disk into one VOB. 

Auto GK is a bit easier to use on SD when you are dealing with a TON of files like a TV series.  It is an alternative to Handbrake and is better IMO for batch processing.

I am not sure if this will work, but you could try encoding a movie into an MKV with Handbrake then adding chapter markers and see if that would work with the WDTV.  I believe you can encode Xvid into an MKV container so that might work. 

You will have to experiment! 

Let us know what you find out. 

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

November 29, 2009, 06:07:47 PM
Reply #5

scottyb159

I think I now understand some of the basics.

For now I am using extra dvd copy to copy my dvd's into vob files.  Once I have those files I am running clonedvd mobile ( settling vob PASSTHROUGH?) to convert into a single vob file format is mpeg 2 ntsc 720x480 (not sure how good this is, but seems to look pretty good and simple to use).  I am searching internet for the cover art, copying and renaming to "folder.jpg".  I am putting each movie with the art into separate folders. This appears to be the most basic way to go.  Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 06:48:09 PM by scottyb159 »

November 29, 2009, 07:14:36 PM
Reply #6

scottyb159

Well I spoke to soon.  I am having no problems using Extra DVD Copy to copy the DVD, however, some of the DVDs I encoded using Clone DVD appear to have worked and show files that are large, but when I go to play on my computer player they show that they are only about 5-20 minutes long, even thought they are over an hr.  I cant test on my WDTV because its in my daughters room and she is asleep.  At least I saved all the VOB files so I can either use those or use another program to encode???

November 30, 2009, 06:06:27 PM
Reply #7

scottyb159

Latest Update:

Starting to get the hang of the basics now.  I have been using Extra DVD and DVDFab or Handbrake.  I started with Handbrake and it was working fine but a few dvd's caused program to crash, no idea why?  I downloaded trial of DVDFab and works perfectly and MUCH faster.  I am only copying the main file to its considerably smaller than the original vob files and is processed quickly.  Only problem with DVD Fab6 is I do not see a way to set up a queue, this could be because I am using a demo?

November 30, 2009, 09:13:13 PM
Reply #8

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I think with DVFab you can only process everything on a disk (ie 4 tv shows) at a time.  You can't que up more than that if I recall. 

December 01, 2009, 10:08:21 AM
Reply #9

scottyb159

I just put about 25 movies onto my WDTV.  Many of them using Clone DVD, several with HB and the majority with DFab.  I can say DFAB worked the best.  No issues found so far.  With Handbrake I cannot fastforward at all.  I have all the thumbnails working as long as I am in folder view.  They do not work in Video view but that is fine with me since each folder is its own movie.  I am planning to buy two more WDTV's  for other rooms.  I will buy the 2ng generation, I dont see the need for the Live version that I originally bought.  I am very happy.  Next mission is to hook up a new Logitech Harmony remote with everything.