Author Topic: Did you know? Quick WD TV tips  (Read 40002 times)

November 19, 2009, 10:54:50 PM
Read 40002 times

~¤ kyogoku ¤~

• Personal Text
    ♫..♪♫ One more time, One more chance ♪♫..♪
Did you know? Quick WD TV tips

10 minute skip
Press Fast Forward/Reverse on the remote then Next/Prev to skip forwards or backwards 10 minutes at a time.

Play multiple files in a row
Instead of pressing the Enter button while a file is selected, you can press the Play button to play all of the files in the current folder sequentially, beginning with the currently selected file.

Use multiple external subtitles with the same video
If you have a file named video.avi, you can add subtitle files named video.srt to view subtitles. However, if you have multiple subtitle files, you can still use them: If you had an English subtitle file and a Spanish subtitle file, you could name them video.en.srt and video.es.srt and they would both be available during playback of the video. This also works for other subtitle formats, such as SMI, SSA, SUB, or IDX.

Info bar toggle
You can quickly toggle the info bar on and off during video playback by pressing Enter on the remote.

How to use MKV chapters
During video playback, if an MKV being played has chapters, press the Option button and select the rightmost icon (the one that has a bunch of litle squares) in the options menu. You can then choose a chapter to play.

Page up/page down in file browsing
While browsing through files, press Next or Prev on the remote to page up/page down.

Subtitle sync adjustment
During video playback, press the left or right arrow keys on the remote to adjust subtitle synchronization by 100 ms at a time.

Thumbnails
If a folder contains an image named “folder.jpg”, that image will be used as the folder’s thumbnail.

If a jpg file is given the same filename as a media file, it will be used as the thumbnail for that file. For example, an image named “video.jpg” would be used as the thumbnail for a file named “video.avi”.

Hope these tips help!

disclaimer
I came across this link while browsing and wondering is the sub sync tip is working on the first gen WDTV?  ???
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 06:36:25 PM by ~¤ kyogoku ¤~ »

November 20, 2009, 06:32:13 AM
Reply #1

Fishbowls

Good Post!
this one is new to me!

Subtitle sync adjustment
During video playback, press the left or right arrow keys on the remote to adjust subtitle synchronization by 100 ms at a time.
end-users wiki http://wdtv.wetpaint.com
Custom Firmware wiki http://wiki.wdtv.org/doku.php
mediainfo http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net
start here http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=1088.msg7613#ms
wdtv+ext3-boot-9.2+sabrent gbit adapter+
rss/weather+disco-webserver. this thing is cool eh.

November 20, 2009, 08:42:42 AM
Reply #2

Pennhaven

It's good form when you copy and paste someone else's work to at least acknowledge the source, so here it is:

http://wdtvlive.com/articles/view/10/Did_you_know_Quick_WD_TV_tips

November 20, 2009, 11:04:57 AM
Reply #3

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Great stuff kyogoku! 

I was unaware of the sync control too. :)

I will make this a sticky.

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

November 20, 2009, 01:19:17 PM
Reply #4

watcher

Thanks for this topic.

The sync control is a new one  :) I always looked for another subfile untill I had one that was in sync.
Next time i'll try the  < >

November 20, 2009, 04:15:32 PM
Reply #5

~¤ kyogoku ¤~

• Personal Text
It's good form when you copy and paste someone else's work to at least acknowledge the source, so here it is:

http://wdtvlive.com/articles/view/10/Did_you_know_Quick_WD_TV_tips
Have you try to check the words "this link" on my post? That shows the source.

btw, did anyone ever succeed doing the sub sync tip on 1st gen WDTV? I haven't got the chance to reach mine so I haven't tried it.

November 21, 2009, 06:50:05 PM
Reply #6

spuzzum

Hi i'm new to this device and was trying to get the thumbnails to work on my first gen wdtv. i added the movies in the folder with a .jpg extension but i don't get the thumbnail , then i took them out of the folder and put them on the root of the device..still nothing any idea what i'm doin wrong? or is this only for the wdtv live.

November 22, 2009, 12:43:21 PM
Reply #7

franks

• DeSpammer

Hi i'm new to this device and was trying to get the thumbnails to work on my first gen wdtv. i added the movies in the folder with a .jpg extension but i don't get the thumbnail , then i took them out of the folder and put them on the root of the device..still nothing any idea what i'm doin wrong? or is this only for the wdtv live.

What version of the firmware do you have? The first couple of firmwares didn't support thumbnails. If you do have supporting firmware, the thumbnail must have the same root name as the video file. So if your movie is named party.avi, then the thumbnail has to be party.jpg and be in the same directory as the video file.

November 22, 2009, 09:09:54 PM
Reply #8

bobmac27

Do you have thumbnail mode set in the video settings?

December 01, 2009, 04:04:20 PM
Reply #9

ladams

Hello I'm a newbie and i need to know how do i find out if my wd can show thumbnails and i need step by step instructions on how to get them Thanks

December 02, 2009, 10:03:31 AM
Reply #10

DrZ0idberg

Could someone post how to use playlist feature in v1.03.01 fw?
Thanks.

December 02, 2009, 12:18:33 PM
Reply #11

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Hello I'm a newbie and i need to know how do i find out if my wd can show thumbnails and i need step by step instructions on how to get them Thanks

Several threads on this topic! Use the SEARCH function on this site and you will have all the answers you need!  :)
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

December 06, 2009, 05:58:02 PM
Reply #12

EnderWiggin

Odd, I don't seem to have the subtitle sync control, if I use the <> buttons, I get a red circle in the upper right corner... fw 1.02.07

December 06, 2009, 06:37:33 PM
Reply #13

~¤ kyogoku ¤~

• Personal Text
Odd, I don't seem to have the subtitle sync control, if I use the <> buttons, I get a red circle in the upper right corner... fw 1.02.07
same here. I'm using the 1.03.01 and no luck on that tips. so it's not applicable for first generation I presume. :(

December 07, 2009, 03:28:01 AM
Reply #14

EnderWiggin

I just noticed that your link for the source of these tips is for a WDTVlive page, so these tips are probably only for the WDTV Live model....