Author Topic: Ripping and Storing  (Read 3520 times)

November 19, 2009, 06:01:16 PM
Read 3520 times

Stinkpickle

Out of curiosity I was wondering if I was using the best solution and method to back up DVDs and store them on a hard drive.

As of right now, I rip the video files with AnyDVD and then I merge the .VOB files with DVD2one. Movies stay about the same size and are merged into one single .VOB file. No subtitles or menus obviously.

What do you guys use, and which type of files are your choice?

November 19, 2009, 06:29:39 PM
Reply #1

ChaseDavis

I use DVD Decryptor or DVDFab and rip ISO's or also VOB's without having to merge
ISO's are ideal for quality and features but you're looking at a huge file

on the plus side if WDLive ever supports DVD menu's you're already set

November 24, 2009, 03:09:58 PM
Reply #2

bobmac27

I use AnyDVD to rip the movie to the hard drive then use Handbreak to encode as a MKV file.  Average size is 1.4G. Total time about 1 hour.

December 06, 2009, 08:17:32 AM
Reply #3

hnQ

HI,
I have the same issue with ~1000 movies on DVD that I have.
1000 DVD = 1000 hrs to rip. Overnight ripping 1 DVD/night => 1.5 years.
That's a horrible task.

XP<---DLinkDI624 router/wired--->WDLive/bRad--->OnkyoAmplifier/compsit--->regSonyTV/composit

"Workgroup" [checked]
"DDS" [checked]

December 07, 2009, 06:53:50 AM
Reply #4

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
Use a ripper that has a batch mode (queue) - DVDFab has one in command line mode only.  I've not used AnyDVD so don't know if that has a batch mode.

handbrake has a queue so you can do several per night
Gen1, ext3-boot, Belkin AX88178 Gigabit adapter, Synology DS109 NAS

How-to setup WD TV with NFS shares

December 17, 2009, 07:55:46 PM
Reply #5

bobmac27

Use a ripper that has a batch mode (queue) - DVDFab has one in command line mode only.  I've not used AnyDVD so don't know if that has a batch mode.

Batch (Queue) works great for Handbreak but the files are already ripped to the HD.  Ripping them is where the problem is, still need to insert the DVD into the drive.

December 30, 2009, 08:27:44 PM
Reply #6

Stinkpickle

Only 1 DVD Drive, one at a time :P

However DVD2ONE has a batch process so I am able to merge multiple movies without interruption

February 07, 2010, 01:55:08 PM
Reply #7

WDTVLAS

MakeMKV.  Does a movie in about 10-15minutes.  You can select the items from the DVD you want..ie no french audio..no 4:3 screen..no subitles..etc etc.  I just get the movie and the english audio track, thats it.  4.6gigs for UP...2.6 for The Hangover for example.  I dont care about file size anymore as memory and hardrives are getting bigger and cheaper by the day.  The MKV file plays back FLAWLESSLY on the WDTV live.  Select the thumbnail image and it plays immediatley from the beggining to the end of the movie.  My 7 and 9 year old are LOVING it!  The are watching movies and shows they forgot they had because disc were hiden in the back of the DVD case/unit. My wife an I love it as we no longer have to hunt down DVDs and there cases.

February 07, 2010, 03:49:23 PM
Reply #8

twisty

G'day Stinkpickle,

For my comparison and use of rippers, encoders and containers.

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=3991.0
http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=3314.0
42" Sony & 32" Teac. Gigabit Network + NetComm NP210 Ethernet over power.  4TB WD ShareSpace NAS.  WDLXTV 0.5.8.1.  MSheet 2.1.1.
Noob WDTV Video Conversion Basics Tutorial http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=3314.0

March 16, 2010, 07:22:50 PM
Reply #9

oposky2006

well, i always use Pavtube Blu-ray Ripper which can not only rip blu-ray movies off and merge them together, but also allow me to compress  the large file into a small size so that i can save my space for more collection. And the quality of compressed files seem still good.