Author Topic: VobSub supported in MKV?  (Read 6092 times)

April 17, 2009, 08:17:20 PM
Read 6092 times

pingpong

Hi Guys:

With all the firmware (betas) floating around, I was no longer sure whether WDTV now support VobSubs in MKV containers?  Also is there a difference between VobSub and idx/sub (which I read is supported).

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

April 18, 2009, 12:21:59 AM
Reply #1

nogames

With all the firmware (betas) floating around, I was no longer sure whether WDTV now support VobSubs in MKV containers?  Also is there a difference between VobSub and idx/sub (which I read is supported).

Always thought that vobsub and idx/sub. The latter works perfectly. I don't think, there's a difference. I use vobsub to extract the subtitles and it creates idx/sub pair of files

April 18, 2009, 03:42:16 PM
Reply #2

pingpong

thx for your reply "nogame", but I seem to have some problem with this particular MKV file then.  It has 2 sets of VobSub subtitles (English & Japanese) as well as 2 soundtracks (English & Japanese).  I am unable to get the English subtitles shown consistently (appears and disappears repeatedly) and the Japanese subtitles not at all.  In addition, the picture and the soundtracks (both) go out of synch.

I have an entire series of a show encoded like this that I have a problem with  :(

May 04, 2009, 07:21:19 AM
Reply #3

MrMod

What version of mkvtoolnix was used to create the MKV?  You can use MediaInfo to check.

There was a bug where multiple VobSub streams were sometimes being combined by mistake and was fixed.  However, currently there is a bug where the last VobSub subtitle is sometimes muxed in incomplete.  This bug first appeared in mkvtoolnix 2.3 and persists to this day.

To reproduce this bug take an IDX/SUB where the last SPU is split over 2 or more packets. In Muxing->Add command line options, type in -v -v (to enable high verbosity logging). Start muxing and you will see a message similar to this near the end:
r_vobsub.cpp: stddeliver spu_len 2124 dst_size 2019 curpos 3155968 endpos 0

In this case since endpos < curpos, the r_vobsub.cpp:extract_one_spu_packet procedure aborts without reading the next packet. As you can see this resulted in 2124-2019=105 bytes chopped off the end of the last SPU. This happens for any subtitle index where the last SPU is spread over 2 or more packets. For an intermediate index, the filepos of the next index (track->entries[track->idx + 1].position) is supposed to be used for endpos, but endpos reports 0. For the last index, the filesize (sub_file->get_size()) is supposed to be used for endpos, but endpos reports 0 as well.

-Mod

May 09, 2009, 06:14:59 AM
Reply #4

MrMod

Latest 2.7.0 build20090507-125 has the VobSub bug fixed.

Update: mkvtoolnix 2.8.0 is out.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 06:18:36 AM by MrMod »