Author Topic: Will WD learn from tech history or simply repeat it?  (Read 870 times)

November 18, 2009, 03:45:49 PM
Read 870 times

ChaseDavis

I remember being fascinated with my Roxio 32mb Mp3 player when it took me longer to explain exactly what it was than it would take to listen to all of the music on the player.  If you had an mp3 player those days, everyone seemed to have a different variation.  Most used memory cards while a few used hardrives as things developed and it wasn't until Apple released the iPod that we suddenly saw the boom that was inevitable in such a product.

I feel that video media players are on this same path.
I understand the legal hurdles that are in the way when creating a product like this but itís only a matter of time before it happens and while a product like this is great, there is no reason why it shouldn't be a mainstream product.  Who wouldn't want to stream their media to their television?

I have this feeling that itís only a matter of time before another company with a deeper wallet comes crashing down with a product that knocks this one off the radar. WD isn't a new company so why do I doubt the shelf life?

Any other opinions?  Will WD be able to create their own 'TiVo'? or will this just be a niche product?