Author Topic: Elgato Turbo.264 HD and WDTV Live  (Read 1315 times)

November 18, 2009, 02:51:48 AM
Read 1315 times

timw

It's been a real pain getting these two devices to co-operate. I don't think either is entirely blameless in this but, after hours of experimentation, I think I have something which works. I am encoding standard def MPEG 2 records off of Freeview TV (UK DVB-T) and this seems to be working quite well for me ATM.

Add your video to the Turbo encoding window and select the HD 720p profile. Then go into Edit in the Format box and open up the Advanced section. Set GOP Structure to IP, click OK and then do the encoding.

Next time you encode something you should be able to select "HD 720p IP" directly from the Format drop down.

I don't think you need this, but I also set the Source Deinterlace to Progressive Scan to keep my frame rate to 25/s instead of letting Turbo HD double it to 50 for me. Try doing this as well if the IP setting doesn't work (it also speeds up the encode - the encode frames/sec goes down a little, but there are only half the number of frames to encode. Surprisingly(ish), it doesn't affect the files size much).

I don't think this is the whole story as AFAICT the other GOP structures should work on the WDTV, but at least I have something usable. Please add to this thread if you have any better settings, or any insight as to why I had to do this.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 03:08:02 AM by timw »