Author Topic: New WDTV LIVE Software Update 1.01.11 >>> Discussion Thread  (Read 18863 times)

November 20, 2009, 07:08:39 PM
Reply #30

dingrwdtvfr

Startup delay issues with new firmware
----------------------------------------------

I have found a very annoying problem with the new firmware version 1.01.11 in terms of startup time.

My setup:

WD TV Live with 1.01.11 firmware + Linksys WUSB600N wifi adaptor + attached USB storage.

With the original 1.01.00 firmware, the WD TV Live starts up and, within seconds, establishes a wireless connection and mounts the USB storage device.

With the new 1.01.11 version, after powering up, it does not even start to address the wireless device for a little over a minute. And only when the wireless connection is established does it start to mount the attached USB storage device. Total time it takes is about 80 to 90 seconds. Even without the wireless adaptor connected, the WD TV Live does not begin to mount the USB storage until about 60 seconds after power-up. So this is not a wireless adaptor or network issue.

I have been switching back and forth from the original firmware and the new firmware to verify my findings. In the end, I decided to stick with the original firmware and leave the device powered all the time. This way, the attached storage device is network-accessible all the time.

November 20, 2009, 07:57:51 PM
Reply #31

wiiBox

Try pressing the reset button on the side of the box.  I did it while the unit was turned on.  Don't know if it has the same effect on standby.

Follow the manual's instructions on this.  Press only for a second or two.

This has helped fix issues in the past.  Give it a try, it can't hurt.  Remember you will lose all settings.

Good luck!

November 21, 2009, 10:01:08 AM
Reply #32

dingrwdtvfr

Try pressing the reset button on the side of the box. 

Already did that many times. No difference to the startup time. Not a major problem since I now leave the device on all the time to help advance global warming. :)

November 21, 2009, 10:57:07 AM
Reply #33

sadako

I really can't understand how the double thumbnail issue persists after this firmware update.

It can't be a feature: if images are shown in video mode by design, why offer the selection of video/music/images in the first place? And why does this issue only affect network shares, and not files played locally (i.e. via USB)?

Surely WD are aware of this? Baffling omission from 1.01.11, imo... I hope this isn't a sign of things to come from the update department.  :(

November 21, 2009, 08:46:47 PM
Reply #34

opentoe

I really can't understand how the double thumbnail issue persists after this firmware update.

It can't be a feature: if images are shown in video mode by design, why offer the selection of video/music/images in the first place? And why does this issue only affect network shares, and not files played locally (i.e. via USB)?

Surely WD are aware of this? Baffling omission from 1.01.11, imo... I hope this isn't a sign of things to come from the update department.  :(

They need to put any graphical/cosmetic issues aside and work on networking problems first. I'm sure we all would want a great player that did it's basic functions well.

November 22, 2009, 10:26:04 AM
Reply #35

sadako

They need to put any graphical/cosmetic issues aside and work on networking problems first. I'm sure we all would want a great player that did it's basic functions well.

I agree that there are more pressing issues for the WDTV team to fix, but in what was a largely cosmetic update (renaming menu items, etc), the thumbnail problem does seem a strange one to have overlooked.

November 22, 2009, 11:56:27 AM
Reply #36

Takuru

Hello everyone, This update has caused more problems than it solves.  :-\

Try to play this file in your WDTV With the latest update (with the original version works normally). It causes a buffer overflow and slows the WDTV Live.

*Prepare to implement reset and disconnecting the power.

http://pdl.stream.aol.com/aol/brightcove/us/moviefone/trailers/2009/avatar_026982/avatar_trlr_02_1080p_dl.mov

Other similar trailers have the same problem.

:'(

November 22, 2009, 02:57:27 PM
Reply #37

wiiBox

Hi Takuru,

Consider posting this in the bugs section.  Maybe under the heading of mov file problem, or something similar.

I tried the file and it indeed didn't play and UI became sluggish; had to power cycle.  I put the movie in an mkv and it played just like any other mkv has.

Good find, and worth posting in the bugs section with the sample; remember to mention the firmware version in the subject line.

Cheers!   :)

Interesting looking movie, BTW!

November 30, 2009, 09:01:35 AM
Reply #38

yamatosoul

People come these forums to resolve issues, so, it's normal to have complaints about the new firmware upgrade.  But the impression I get about the latest update for WDTV Live is that I would be a whole lot better off if I stuck with the original firmware for now.  Does anyone have any positive experiences with the update or should I wait for the next update?  I would appreciate your inputs because that damned "You have an update" message pops up every time I turn on my WDTV, and I almost update it by accident yesterday.