Author Topic: New WDTV LIVE Software Update 1.01.11 >>> Discussion Thread  (Read 18883 times)

November 16, 2009, 05:21:40 PM
Read 18883 times

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Here is a general thread for discussing changes and your experiences with the first new firmware update to the LIVE.

Let us know your likes/dislikes!

Jay
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

November 16, 2009, 05:22:54 PM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

November 16, 2009, 06:06:11 PM
Reply #2

digitallifedad

Audio/Video Sync issue !!

Just updated to v1.01.11

Now all video from Revision3 - http://revision3.com in 30fps HD ( .MP4 ) file format does not play properly.

The audio/video are out of sync. They video appears to be playing at 2-4X speed, while the audio is at normal speed ( sounds normal ).

There were zero issues with this video prior to the latest update.
I've reset to factory settings also.

Anyone else having video issues with specific formats since updating ??

Also, does anyone know the best place to officially report these problems to WD directly?

Cheers

November 16, 2009, 06:56:29 PM
Reply #3

Joes

I am trying to update the firmware but the auto 'Update Device' feature does not find any updates.
Is there a way to manually update the firmware?

Thanks

Joes

November 16, 2009, 07:20:50 PM
Reply #4

synaptic

Networking still doesn't seem to be fixed.  :(

November 16, 2009, 08:21:59 PM
Reply #5

ChaseDavis

Manual Install - http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=2887.0

Duplicate thumbnail issue still there, I know this is purely cosmetic but as far as I'm concerned, things like Menu Support and Thumbnails and organization are the reasons I bought the player.  I like being able to easily browse my movie collection and add to it without 2 hours of converting, transferring, etc.

I'm hopefully the NEXT update will have this corrected

November 16, 2009, 08:36:53 PM
Reply #6

Joes

4. Select the firmware upgrade icon, and then press ENTER.

Okay, I found it. You have to turn the unit off and on again to make the icon appear.

Joes

November 16, 2009, 10:12:31 PM
Reply #7

mobilenet

I was looking forward to the update to fix this. It has got to be the top priority surely! It's not good enough at all IMO. I can see the Live on my XP machines consistently so WHY don't the damn XP shares show consistently on the Live?

Networking still doesn't seem to be fixed.  :(

November 16, 2009, 10:26:23 PM
Reply #8

oRBIT2002

Duplicate thumbnail issue still there, I know this is purely cosmetic but as far as I'm concerned, things like Menu Support and Thumbnails and organization are the reasons I bought the player.  I like being able to easily browse my movie collection and add to it without 2 hours of converting, transferring, etc.

I was hoping this issue would be fixed by now.. :(

November 17, 2009, 12:16:39 AM
Reply #9

wiiBox

Yes, the only significant change so far is the fade in/out toggle (very welcomed change).  The rest is bussiness as usual.  If you are expecting major updates in the future... maybe it's time to think again!!  lol

Had a little bit of a scare at first after the update (usb based).  The few .mkv files I have showed a small audio sync problem, but they were solved after I reset the player with the reset button on the side.  First time I ever saw this with either the wdtv1 or 2.

The one .mp4 file I have problems with still doesn't work correctly, but now it's a massive audio sync issue when you skip ahead.  Watching it from the start seems to be okay, but I'll have to watch the entire movie to see if it maintains sync all the way through.  On the possitive side, the subs inside work, now.  Details of the original problem here:  http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=2561.0

Colour decoding is still an issue as discribed here:  http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=683.0
But to be honest, I don't see the problem in my content besides those test clips.  Could be just me, though.

On the networking side, things are pretty much the same.  My informal test shows 7.6MB (tops) transfer rate from my winxp sp2 machine to a 2.5" 20 gig drive (5400rpm, samsung) connected to the wdtv live.  I should test my other portable 3.5" 7200rpm drive.  That may have better results, but 7.6MB is the same I was getting before.  Network is wired.

Network shares are still not searchable.  My reboot problem seemed solved until I reset the player to fix the audio sync issue.  Details of reboot problem here:  http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=2816.0  I can easily overlook this, though.

Pretty much what I expected, but I'm a bit disappointed at the same time.  On the bright side, no new bugs for me, so far.  lol  Sad, I know.

I would be interested to hear from someone who has tested usb hubs.  Are they working now?

@mobilenet
All the xp machines we have here show up without a problem.  You need to dig deeper into your setup, I presume.  We have sp3 and sp2 machines, even a Vista machine before it was upgraded to win7 and they all show up.  We don't stream from them, but they show up.

I wonder if they added NFS, but I doubt it.  Will see about testing that with our one Linux machine.

That's my experience!

Cheers!    :D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 12:57:30 AM by wiiBox »

November 17, 2009, 04:55:55 AM
Reply #10

fits79

Hi.
How i can see the display resolution of each video file? I see that this add-on it exist on the new firmware 1.01.11 but i don't know how i can see the display resolution.

A lot of thanks.

November 17, 2009, 02:51:52 PM
Reply #11

swartz

Utter CRAP.

I'm returning my two WDTV Live boxes back to the store.

Still issues with media servers and SMB shares.

Not only that but this firmware now disables the way to achieve 1080p over COMPONENT as I described here:
http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=2513.0

Not only Western Digital did NOT fix my HDMI issue, but they also totally locked me out of 1080p.
Very NOT cool in my book.

I will never buy another Western Digital product and will strongly advise others to do the same.

November 17, 2009, 03:34:03 PM
Reply #12

timw

Is it possible to downgrade? I got my WDTV yesterday, then spent all day today working out what format video it likes (I'm using an elgato turbo hd stick and it doesn't seem to play nicely with the WDTV - most settings get the "judders"). I finally found a setting which worked and converted about 20 files but now all but one have the video playing twice as fast as the audio, thereby rendering the WDTV useless. :(

Of course, given the grief I've had to get this far, I don't think any encoding setting on the Turbo is safe from getting broken with the next update  :(

November 17, 2009, 06:28:14 PM
Reply #13

markusmo

hi ,

still no usb hub function ....
the wd live is somehow loading all ext hdd that are attached on the usb hub , so all led lights are flashing on the mybooks , but then
if you choose the usb local drives it freezes up in a blank screen and only getting the power cord out helps ....
anybody any luck at all with more than two hdd as local drives over usb port ?

thanks

markus

November 17, 2009, 06:46:33 PM
Reply #14

mobilenet

Glad it's working consistently for you. In my case (Maxtor Shared Storage II NAS, WG634U router (which in theory can act as a NAS too but isn't much good) and 3 netbooks running Windows XP SP3, (over Wireless) the 2 NAS's seem to be generally available but the XP machines are regularly not visible on the Live, despite the Live being accessable from the XP machines. It seems to be quite random. Sometimes all 3 XP machines can be seen, sometimes none, one or 2. I've tried a few things to help the situation but no luck so far.

Interested to hear if anyone else having problems with XP happens to have other servers aswell.

@mobilenet
All the xp machines we have here show up without a problem.  You need to dig deeper into your setup, I presume.  We have sp3 and sp2 machines, even a Vista machine before it was upgraded to win7 and they all show up.  We don't stream from them, but they show up.

I wonder if they added NFS, but I doubt it.  Will see about testing that with our one Linux machine.

That's my experience!

Cheers!    :D
[/quote]