Author Topic: BUG v1.01.00 Copying folders over network too slow.  (Read 2097 times)

November 14, 2009, 05:46:12 PM
Read 2097 times

Artz

I have my WD My Book 1.0TB connected to WDTV Live that is connected to my home network.
Also I have my PC connected through router on the same network.

The problem is if I want to copy files from my PC to a network share on my WD My Book.
Copy speed it too low. I'm getting only about 2MB/s.

November 16, 2009, 04:20:16 AM
Reply #1

laserjet

I agree that networking needs some improvements.
However, I am not that much concerned with copying files than playback. Some blu-rays or higher bitrate videos seem to suffer from lower bandwidth. They play fine from USB though.
I do believe that the WD TV Live is the bottleneck as my shares are on c2d 6750 on on the same 100mbit switch as wdtv.

Thanks,

November 16, 2009, 09:41:10 AM
Reply #2

netsrac

I agree that networking needs some improvements.
However, I am not that much concerned with copying files than playback. Some blu-rays or higher bitrate videos seem to suffer from lower bandwidth. They play fine from USB though.
I do believe that the WD TV Live is the bottleneck as my shares are on c2d 6750 on on the same 100mbit switch as wdtv.

Thanks,

I mentioned this in another post, because I feel that they should have included gigabit ethernet, but was told that there was no need for one.

I disagree, because USB when plugged into the WDTV has a transfer rate of 480 mbps, when wired ethernet can not go over 100 mbps.

I also mentioned that people also have to make sure that if watching movies through a external USB drive(via network share), that they should make sure that it is connected to it's own controller and not on a hub, because if it is on a hub, all devices on the hub equally share this 480 mbps. (ie 4 port hub - each device 120 mbps)

This is something I have read and investigated, but there is always room for error on what info you can find on the net.

Hope this info is helpful.