Author Topic: DTS sound is twitching  (Read 2999 times)

February 17, 2009, 12:27:41 AM
Read 2999 times

Ufonists

I have WD TV - good stuff! To get DTS sound i had to buy receiver Yamaha RX-V363 and optical cable! I spend around 200$ for it - no problem, but i was watching movie:
Video: 1280x544, x264, 23.976 fps, ~ 4178 kbps
Audio: RUS DTS 5.1 - 768 kb/s; ENG DTS 5.1 - 1536 kb/s 
With RUS audio sound was perfect and no problems but English audio was twitching all the time. No side effects - twitching is like i would say: "My name is Casper" you could hear My .... is Casper!
At the same time when sound is twitching display at receiver is twitching too!

Where is problem? Receiver DTS decoder can`t decode over 800kb/s sound? or problem is with my cable or WDTV or may be the file have some kind of problem and My Passport 500Gb external drive cand support 8Gb large file?!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 12:29:26 AM by Ufonists »

February 20, 2009, 03:25:23 PM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
This is not a problem with your receiver, and technically not with your WDTV either.  What is likely happening is you are playing a MKV file that was not made by you and was mastered with an out of date or out of spec DTS codec.  WDTV is picky about DTS codecs and it giving you a stutter.  This is easily fixed by running the file through the Popcorn Hour Audio Encoder.  You can FIX DTS tracks with this program (takes a couple minutes) or you can also convert them to AC3. 

The program can be found here: http://audioconverter.heartware.dk/Tutorial/
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

March 27, 2009, 01:17:55 AM
Reply #2

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Have a look at this topic http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=54.0 as well.  It has more up to date software you can use. 
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 02, 2009, 09:23:52 AM
Reply #3

eliasno

Any ideas for MacOsx users ? couldn t find any equivalent to pop corn hour audioconverter ... there was a script mkvdts2ac3 but it looks difficult to use as you need to install yourself a lot of utilities and noguide is available there

I love this box and since I got i enjoyed finally watching movies and documentaries in full HD which makes a big difference ... now the only weak point and may be nightmare for all the users of this box is the DTS audio as most of the movies are only available with DTS...I think more than the wireless connection there should be a way implementing the conversion withing the magic box as there is libraries like the one used by VLC (that can read it) and it is open source... why not implementing such option in the WDtv to make probably 90% of the users more than satisified as most of the users don t have DTS receivers (I have a philips 9703 as TV and cant even find the information if it supports DTS as input...)

Cheers and thanks for the updates it keeps getting better and better ... with DTS it will be perfect !!!!  ;)

April 06, 2009, 01:44:23 AM
Reply #4

Ufonists

OK! I will try this one! Anyways i don`t have good speaker system to be fully unhappy with DTS twitching... for first 30min of movie you notice that problem but after no problem! ;)
I will try this soft to fix DTC!

Thanks

April 13, 2009, 10:17:25 PM
Reply #5

Ufonists

Last unofficial update helped with DTS sound!!! Sound is perfect from now on!!! Thanks for update and cant wait for official!!!
though, there is audio format what is unsupported - i will try to find the audio file type!!!
But update is great - much more easier to use!!!