Author Topic: What Media Server do you have?  (Read 14919 times)

December 15, 2009, 02:01:03 PM
Reply #30

MACRI

I've got a QNAP TS-109Pro NAS running TwonkeyMedia Server. Works fine, only thing I've found  is when connecting via Media Server, the thumbnails do not display, however when connecting to the above NAS via "Network Share" the thumbnails work fine... Puzzling...

December 15, 2009, 03:09:20 PM
Reply #31

wiiBox

I've got a QNAP TS-109Pro NAS running TwonkeyMedia Server. Works fine, only thing I've found  is when connecting via Media Server, the thumbnails do not display, however when connecting to the above NAS via "Network Share" the thumbnails work fine... Puzzling...
I think that's a server specific feature.  Some do and some don't.  BTW, when you use 'Network Shares', you are connecting to your NAS via SMB/CIFS so you bypass the media server, entirely.

You might have a look at the documentation for your version of Twonkey to see if maybe renaming your thumbnails will make them show up.

December 26, 2009, 04:56:59 PM
Reply #32

ditlew

Hi Guys,

Sorry to pop this one again, but since I've been working on this every day since my last update I really felt like sharing my latest update. I've just removed the 2 last issues on my WDTV Live <> PMS list. I really don't get why the WD developers have implemented some of the DLNA stuff the way they have but many hours of testing and debugging have at last made me able to get around it.

I'm currently waiting the PMS project leader to accept my code changes so that we can have a WDTV Live compatible build.

Merry Xmas everyone!

Btw: For those interrested these are a list of my PMS changes compared to build 1.11.369:
- WDTV Live renderer (conf + graphics)
- DVD Title overview now includes the length of each title.
- Resuming a paused or stopped transcoded title on the WDTV Live now works without you having to wait for it to first transcode everything up to the point you wanted to watch. *this was very tricky to get working proberly*
- Recomended another build of mencoder cause the one used in build 1.11.369 doesn't transcode dvd titles proberly.

December 27, 2009, 09:14:37 PM
Reply #33

dmk11

thanks ditlew for updating the code.  Please let us know when it gets accepted/how to get your version.. Thanks!!

December 29, 2009, 04:06:18 AM
Reply #34

ditlew

Hi Guys,

Those of you who want to try the PMS changes I've made can get an unofficial beta build from here: http://buzzybots.dk/pms-setup-windows-1.11.372.exe It should have plug n play support of the WDTV Live.

I've joined the PMS developer team as an official developer btw :)

If you have any feedback regarding these changes please let me know.

Best Regards,
Ditlew

December 29, 2009, 06:38:23 AM
Reply #35

wiiBox

Congrats ditlew!

I always knew you could do it!  :P

Will give it a shot when possible.  Happy holidays!

Cheers!

December 30, 2009, 02:13:11 PM
Reply #36

probedb

Currently using Twonky 5.1.12 on Ubuntu 9.10. Streaming over a wired network. Not had any troubles.

Had a look at PMS but it requires a GUI which I don't have on my server.

December 31, 2009, 07:54:07 AM
Reply #37

subslug

I'm using both playstation media server and Playon, both work pretty well.
PMS seems to not process large videos fast enough when watching them on the PS3, sometimes you'll need to pause, wait, play over and over. Smaller files are fine.
I'm running them both on my WHS pc.

In the past I tried Tversity but, I wasn't ever able to get that to do much. There are better servers out that don't need so much attention.

Honestly with my shared files on the WHS pc I don't have a lot of use for a media server unless I want to watch online streams.

January 06, 2010, 01:21:43 PM
Reply #38

kelad

Apologies, my last post was not clear...

As you know, with the WDTV live if you have an image file in same directory as the media file [i.e movie.jpg in same dir as 'movie.avi'] then you can display the movie thumbnail. However when connecting via Mediatomb media server the thumbnails do not display. The thumbnails are displayed ok if i connect the via USB. Searched the mediatomb doc, but can't find anything too helpful.
Thanks alot.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 12:58:02 PM by kelad »

January 08, 2010, 11:32:32 PM
Reply #39

pkang0327

Hi Guys,

Those of you who want to try the PMS changes I've made can get an unofficial beta build from here: http://buzzybots.dk/pms-setup-windows-1.11.372.exe It should have plug n play support of the WDTV Live.

I've joined the PMS developer team as an official developer btw :)

If you have any feedback regarding these changes please let me know.

Best Regards,
Ditlew

I installed the server and I added my media files.  Do I need to do anything else in the settings (like transcode settings) to get everythign to work with the WDTV Live?