Author Topic: What Media Server do you have?  (Read 14931 times)

November 29, 2009, 02:04:13 AM
Reply #15

dmk11

I'm actually using the released version: 1.10.5 and not the beta.  I was going to try the beta one of these days, but don't really have a good reason to.

I was having the video issue after 4-5mins, but realized that it didn't matter whether it was using ps3ms or regular network share.

I did 2 things and it fixed it.  Not sure which one was the culprit:
1. Did what this thread said: http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=2840.0
2. While I was checking to make sure I'm sharing the folders correctly, I noticed that I had firewall on (I swore I thought I turned it off).  So now it's off.

When I did the above and rebooted, NO more issues with the video.  So far, I'm very happy with it.  The only wish I have is the ability skip 30sec/7sec fwd/back to skip the commercials, since I use this to watch the TV shows I record with BeyondTV.

November 30, 2009, 01:54:33 AM
Reply #16

ditlew

I've posted a bug on the PMS forum regarding the iso title bug : http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4520

Tried both 1 and 2 from above, and they didn't solved the bug I mentioned.

Please note that PMS version 1.10.51 will transcode all the files that the PS3 can't play natively including files that WDTV plays fine on its own such as mkv. For native WDTV support you need a 1.11.xxx version with a customer renderer as mentioned in my first post.

November 30, 2009, 02:23:50 AM
Reply #17

wiiBox

Great stuff everybody!

I've been playing around with v1.11.366, with and without the WDTVLive profile to try and get the UI not to go sluggish when using thumnail view.

Navigating the UI becomes extreamly slow when I enter the 'movies' menu option.  Can anyone else try thumbnail view and report back?

Also, anyone getting external subs to work with PSM?  Only way I'm seeing them is if they are transcoded into the movie.

Please note that PMS version 1.10.51 will transcode all the files that the PS3 can't play natively including files that WDTV plays fine on its own such as mkv. For native WDTV support you need a 1.11.xxx version with a customer renderer as mentioned in my first post.

What are the benefits of using the custom renderer over just using the new "skip transcode for the following extensions" option in version 1.11?

Thanks all!   :)

November 30, 2009, 04:35:36 AM
Reply #18

ditlew

Hi WiiBox,

Regarding benefits .. None I guess, unless you ALSO use it with the PS3 as I do ;)

I THINK external subtitles is a 'no go' on upnp servers since they only will share 'media files'.

If you want fast browsing with Tumbmails I think that you might wanna try the media library setting which should cache all the relevant info (and not hide it I guess).

November 30, 2009, 04:31:08 PM
Reply #19

wiiBox

Hi WiiBox,

Regarding benefits .. None I guess, unless you ALSO use it with the PS3 as I do ;)

I THINK external subtitles is a 'no go' on upnp servers since they only will share 'media files'.

If you want fast browsing with Tumbmails I think that you might wanna try the media library setting which should cache all the relevant info (and not hide it I guess).

Oh, right!!  Multiple renderers!  Tunnel vision!  :D

It's funny because I've had brief exchanges with another developer that claims DLNA specs also don't make provisions for subtitles and support for them is vendor specific at the moment.
Here's hoping WD have made a similar effort to get subs to work with media servers.

As far as the UI problem I am having.  It's not a matter of faster, as in the media takes a bit of time to update on the screen sort of problem.  It's that moving around the thumbnails to select a folder or file takes about a second or two to do after pressing on the remote.  So I press on the 'right' arrow to navigate right, and 1 second later, the action is carried out on screen.  It's really odd and only happens in the movies section with PMS.  Anyway, I have tried the media library setting in PMS already with the same results.

Do you not see this same behaviour?  I'm using fw 1.01.11.  What firmware are you using for your wdtv live?

Thanks for taking an interest.
Cheers!

December 01, 2009, 05:57:58 AM
Reply #20

ditlew

Hi WiiBox,

*currently at work*

I've only found one media server that officially offers .srt files via upnp.. MediaTomb, but the client need to be requesting them without knowning if they are there or not. I'll be checking if the WDTV requests .srt via upnp when I get home. If it does, it should be possible to add to PMS, I already have the PMS code open and I might give it a try. I think I've found the reason for the iso title bug and will be testing my PMS code patch when I get home.

Hmm, it could be that PMS generates larger thumbnails than WDTV would like performancewize. I'll give that a look as well.

I'm also on 1.11.366 (actually I'm on my own version of the SVN tree atm)

December 01, 2009, 02:24:46 PM
Reply #21

ditlew

Hi WiiBox,

I've confirmed your Thumbnail experience, it is the same here.

Sadly, my first go at the iso problem didn't show a straight forward solution. I've found the problem but not the solution. You can bypass it for now by pausing it straight away, wait a little and the unpause it ..

As far as my tests shows WDTV Live doesn't 'blind request' a .srt over upnp. *hopefully a future firmware update adds this feature*

December 02, 2009, 08:24:37 AM
Reply #22

wiiBox

Hi ditlew,

Thanks for your help.  I guess now I can rule out the slow browsing as being particular to my setup.

As far as my tests shows WDTV Live doesn't 'blind request' a .srt over upnp. *hopefully a future firmware update adds this feature*
Can I ask how you tested for this?  I've been meaning to do some packet sniffing on the network because it was suggested to me as the way to find out if subtittles were being requested.

Maybe we can help each other on this.

BTW, are there many branches out there for ps3ms?  How much of the source is available?  Is the engine open?  Is it pure java?  I might end up just getting a programmer friend to have a look at it and hack something together if it's not too complicated.  Or maybe I'll just use this as motivation to get my lazy back side to learn java!  :P

TIA!

December 03, 2009, 12:48:53 AM
Reply #23

ditlew

Hi WiiBox,

No probs, I want this working as much as you.

Having the code I'm able to see all requests that arrives at PMS and I've seen no requests for a .srt file.

PMS is a google code project and all the code is open source and is 100% Java. PMS isn't really a starters project, but you should anyway get off that 'lazy back side' and start learning how to code ;)

December 07, 2009, 06:42:41 AM
Reply #24

ditlew

Just an update. I'm still working on WDTV Live support for PMS with help from the PMS creator. I really want PMS to work flawlessly with WDTV Live, since I believe it beats the alternatives when it comes to transcoding options.

December 07, 2009, 04:14:52 PM
Reply #25

wiiBox

Hey ditlew, how's it going?

Sounds like you've been busy.  I've also been playing around with a media server, but totally unrelated to PMS.  I know... traitor!  :P

Do keep us posted!

TTFN

December 08, 2009, 12:45:33 AM
Reply #26

ditlew

Hi WiiBox,

I have good news, found and solved the original problem at about 1:00 AM this night. I'll submit my changes to the PMS project leader later today and hopefully we will have a PMS with native WDTV Live support soon. After that I still have 2 PMS WDTV Live features that I would like to add, but even now it is great I think ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 08:20:38 AM by ditlew »

December 08, 2009, 12:50:57 AM
Reply #27

FooFighter

yesterday I tried PSM but there was no matching renderer .conf file for the wdtv live. after switching from xbmc on my old xbox1 to wdtv live I'm really missing the web-streams from - revision3/g4tv/etc.

Update

great - just got .conf from the PMS forum and added my favourite streams to the list - works great after switching the transcoder to Mencoder Web :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:44:57 AM by FooFighter »
Regards,

Foo

December 08, 2009, 05:08:03 PM
Reply #28

audi4u

I run a windows 7 box with a 2 drive software raid 0.  Works great, I'm going to buy a qnap nas to save power. Trying to decide which model to go with.
ts-409
ts-419
ts-439

December 14, 2009, 09:34:08 AM
Reply #29

redwings

I use a D-Link DNS-323 that is attached to my network.  Two 1.5 TB drives RAID 1.  Using via Network Share.

Works awesome so far.