Author Topic: What Media Server do you have?  (Read 14932 times)

November 11, 2009, 05:56:11 PM
Read 14932 times

Boybata

Any recommendation?

I currently have NeroHomeMedia but some files will stop after the intro.  So right now I just use network shares I can play anything.

I'm looking for a better Media Server.

Any recommendation?

November 11, 2009, 11:21:51 PM
Reply #1

tech324

My WDTV Live connects through WIFI to my home built Windows 2008 R2 Server.  I have NFS enabled and connect through NFS.  Runs great, I am able to play HD videos fine.  I am running an AMD 2.6 ghz with 8 gigs of ram and 2.5 TB of drive space.

November 11, 2009, 11:39:26 PM
Reply #2

blindman666

I have a Windows Home Server. Sometimes i have the same problem. The film stopped and a message appear "the network is not reachable" and at this point i have no connection to my shares. When i turn off the wd tv live the network conn is back. This bug sux.

November 12, 2009, 01:39:25 AM
Reply #3

eucyblues

Hi - I've recently tried Twonky and TVersity on an XP system after having trouble with network shares

While using Twonky I lost the few network shares which did work, TVersity sems OK in that regard
Twonky appears to show album art better than TVersity
Neither will play mkv files
TVersity customisation appears to be a 'black book' requiring XML programming
TVersity is free (for the basic version)- Twonky isn't
I've looked at others but they seem even less friendly to a new entrant
Easy to try out - easy to remove

Suggest you look at this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=857561

November 12, 2009, 10:55:44 AM
Reply #4

bertrandr

I'm using FreeNAS. It has a built-in UPnP FUPPES media server.
Streaming to my WDHD2 from the FreeNAS media server or a SAMBA / CIFS share has been ok. Very large or high bitrate files seem to get out of sync or stutter...

Seems very format dependent,

BR

Playback on: WDTV-Live via Yamaha RXV-1800 Receiver
Wild Media Server installed on: Windows Home Server (3Tb custom build)
Viewing on: 46" Samsung  6-Series  LCD

November 12, 2009, 12:14:58 PM
Reply #5

wiiBox

While using Twonky I lost the few network shares which did work, TVersity sems OK in that regard
Twonky appears to show album art better than TVersity
Neither will play mkv files
I use Tversity and have no problem with MKV as long as you set those files to no transcoding.  Infact, I have more problems with avi videos with dual sound tracks.  For some reason, Live seems to stutter on those files more than others, but it tends to be a bit unpredictable behaviour.  I'll have to do a bit more testing on the dual sound issue and do a bug report in the new section.

Only thing about Tversity that really is irksome is the sorting and managing features... there are none.  The tagging system is error prone and a pain to manage.  There are no search functions that I know of so everything is very much done by hand on the computer side .  But actually, you can press the search button on the Live remote and do a text search on Tversity.  Can't do that on network shares.  (firmware 1.01)
TVersity customisation appears to be a 'black book' requiring XML programming
Not sure what you mean by this, eucyblues.  Can you explain?  I may have been missing a trick there.

I'm guessing you mean the tagging system?  Otherwise all files on Tversity will show lumped together under generic video, photo, sound and folder categories.  If you have your files sorte by folder on your computer, things may be alot simpler for you, but the tags are more flexible.

Still, programming or not; Tversity really could be more user friendly.

Machine is an XP SP2 system wired across 2 routers to WDTV Live.

November 12, 2009, 01:41:33 PM
Reply #6

eucyblues

Not sure what you mean by this, eucyblues.  Can you explain?  I may have been missing a trick there.
Hi wiiBox
I haven't tried this but if you look under media library menus in the settings page there's a drop down which shows Default,File System and Custom
The settings are stored in the config.xml file in the TVersity program directory - editing this can apparently yield custom menus - there are a number of links on this is you Google - don't know to what extent it can be customised

You could start with these: 
http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8169  http://www.ziova.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4476&mode=threaded

Hope this is useful - and if you find out how to have album art show on the media folders in Tversity (instead of the 'speaker' icon) in the way Twonky manages it I'd be grateful

November 12, 2009, 02:56:26 PM
Reply #7

Headcase_Fargone

I stream from a Samba share on a DNS-321 NAS.  It has a built-in media server, but I keep it turned off to save precious CPU cycles.  So I just access it via network shares.  Works great, though a default share option to go straight to would be nice in the WDTV's menu.

I'd enable the media server on the NAS but I rather use the horsepower to keep it torrenting.

November 12, 2009, 03:23:44 PM
Reply #8

wiiBox

Not sure what you mean by this, eucyblues.  Can you explain?  I may have been missing a trick there.
Hi wiiBox
I haven't tried this but if you look under media library menus in the settings page there's a drop down which shows Default,File System and Custom
The settings are stored in the config.xml file in the TVersity program directory - editing this can apparently yield custom menus - there are a number of links on this is you Google - don't know to what extent it can be customised

You could start with these:  
http://forums.tversity.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8169  http://www.ziova.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4476&mode=threaded

Hope this is useful - and if you find out how to have album art show on the media folders in Tversity (instead of the 'speaker' icon) in the way Twonky manages it I'd be grateful
Oh, wow!  So that's what custom is for!!   :D
Thanks for the info!  Seems I have been missing a trick with Tversity after all.  Too bad the help doc. that comes with the program is so sparse and basic.

I'll try to figure out what's possible and let you know.

Edit: It might be a bit premature, but I've come across a little app from MS (I suggest searching for an appropriate xml editor for your OS in google for non windows users) that may make editing these config files alot easier.

It's called XML Notepad 2007
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=72d6aa49-787d-4118-ba5f-4f30fe913628&displaylang=en

It definitely makes viewing these files much more intuitive and hopefully it's as compatible with Tversity as it seems to be.   ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 04:10:02 PM by wiiBox »

November 25, 2009, 06:15:22 AM
Reply #9

mtn

If you are looking for a rock solid audio server:  Asset Upnp server from dbpoweramp. Basic version is free
mtn

November 28, 2009, 08:13:07 AM
Reply #10

ditlew

I've tried both TVersity and TwonkyMedia, but after I realized that you can add a custom render to PS3 Media Server it is my fav choice:

It is easy to setup
The resulting menu structure is straight forward and contains extra 'control items'
It has DVD iso support (show each title and let you pick which one you wanna see)
The developer is responsive
It can transcode based on extensions.
It is very very configureable.

Hint:
To add a WD TV render to PMS go into its sub folder 'renderers/' copy PopcornHour.conf to WDTVLive.conf and replace the line 'UserAgentSearch=....' with 'UserAgentSearch=INTEL_NMPR', and restart PMS.

November 28, 2009, 09:56:10 AM
Reply #11

wiiBox

Hint:
To add a WD TV render to PMS go into its sub folder 'renderers/' copy PopcornHour.conf to WDTVLive.conf and replace the line 'UserAgentSearch=....' with 'UserAgentSearch=INTEL_NMPR', and restart PMS.

Hi ditlew,

Can you elaborate on how to do this with PMS?  What version of PMS are you using because I can't seem to find that renderers folder.  I'm on XP if that makes any difference.

Also, are the .conf files supposed to be included with PMS?

TIA!   :)

edit

Nevermind, figured it out.   :D

Just so everyone is up to speed:  The feature ditlew is talking about was introduced in beta version 1.11 - more info can be found here.

The official program can be downloaded from here and the beta with special feature is here.

Thanks for the tip, ditlew!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 10:18:04 AM by wiiBox »

November 28, 2009, 02:20:24 PM
Reply #12

dmk11

I used PS3 Media Server and think it's great!  I used to use TVersity, but ps3ms is so much better and easier to use.
Even though it was meant for ps3, it worked with my wdtvlive.

http://ps3mediaserver.org

November 28, 2009, 03:16:40 PM
Reply #13

wiiBox

I used PS3 Media Server and think it's great!  I used to use TVersity, but ps3ms is so much better and easier to use.
Even though it was meant for ps3, it worked with my wdtvlive.

http://ps3mediaserver.org

Hi dmk11,

Are you using the beta?  Did you do similar to ditlew's instructions?  I wonder if you're having the same problem I'm having.  Once I enter the movie catergory, browsing becomes reeeeeeaaaally slow.  I'm also having thumbnail file listed along with movies.

I'll have to debug some more, I guess, but following ditlew's instructions hasn't quite yeilded the panacea I was hoping for.  :P

Any help is appretiated.

TIA.

November 28, 2009, 11:50:09 PM
Reply #14

ditlew

Hi WiiBox,

I'm sorry that my initial post was missing some info.

I've used PMS for a while with my PS3 and I realize that I have made some settings changes during that time that I havn't mentioned. The first thing that strikes me is that I've disabled thumbnail generation for faster browsing. You *might* also get faster browsing by enabling the 'media libary' but I would personally choose the hide it then.

When that is said I've actually spend the last night fighting a WDTV -> PMS issue that I noticed after I wrote the first post. When playing an ISO title it will suddently stop after 4-5 minutes. I've never seen this PS3 -> PMS wize soo .. here and now PMS might not be the best WDTV server solution anyway, sorry. I've contributed code fixes to the PMS project before (open source rox) and I'll be looking into this as well. I updated to the latest version yesterday and I don't know if this issue is limited to the latest PMS betas. I can't remember what version I used before I updated so I would also be interrested in hearing what version dmk11 was using.