Author Topic: BUG v1.01.00 Freeze On Media Selection  (Read 1875 times)

November 11, 2009, 01:32:54 PM
Read 1875 times

synaptic

When media on a Network Share is displayed in Preview mode, selecting a video for playback before the preview loads causes the WDTV Live to freeze on the spinning symbol. Hard Reset is necessary (no response from remote)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 02:08:22 PM by jayallan »

November 11, 2009, 02:21:05 PM
Reply #1

GuyWD

Does this happen with all of your videos, or only some?

November 11, 2009, 11:57:36 PM
Reply #2

synaptic

The problem is intermittent, but when it happens it completely crashes the box.

It can occur on any media, but primarily on large files (e.g. 9GB DVDs or Blu-Rays), but it also happens on 700-800mb files.

If the samba client has quite poor throughput [by design rather than problem with the WDTV] (as opposed to uPNP) (see http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=2754.0 for a graph) could it be that the WDTV is still loading the preview so the network connection is too saturated/too CPU intensive to open to open a second copy?

Sometimes it will let me open the file before the preview is loaded, and the icon does spin normally (as if to wait for the preview process to close/file to open) until playback begins, but other times it just freezes with the icon progressing a single stop around icon.

If you are currently working on a new firmware, hold off trying to fix this unless there are more verifications of this. I am having some problems with networking generally that I hope will be fixed in the new firmware (changing workgroups from the default 'workgroup' to something else [please  :-\]?) that may fix the problem.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 12:49:21 AM by synaptic »

November 17, 2009, 08:53:38 AM
Reply #3

454SS

I get this also but if I let it sit there it will normally start playing after about 5 mins.

Its random  for what files it does it on but it does it allot.

November 17, 2009, 06:27:23 PM
Reply #4

ChaseDavis

I've seen the same problems as well on this version...I can't quite recall so far on v1.01.11 but its only been a day