Author Topic: Disappointed No Gigabit Ethernet  (Read 11453 times)

November 17, 2009, 08:07:02 AM
Reply #15

cbscpe

I doubt that the Fast Ethernet is the cause of the problems described here when playing back BD Rips. I have done some tests myself (see another topic) and come with others to the conclusion that ahead buffering of video is poor and therefore some scenes, when played the first time stutter and/or loose audio or loose synch of video and audio as it is described in the post of  "bitpicker" . And as he said as well when rewinding a little bit the problem goes away and the same scene plays fine (I assume because it is still cached locally, because when I do this there is no network activity during the playback of the previously faulty scene). Also I've seen this problem more often with .m2ts than with .ts format. You need to have sufficient ahead buffering to catch high peak-rates independent of Fast or Gigabit Ethernet, because if the server is not quick enough to respond to high peak requests your lost, and even a fast fileserver will not always be able to do so. For this you would need a streaming server that itself already sends the media file at the requried rate without waiting for read-requests from the client.

November 17, 2009, 05:42:10 PM
Reply #16

ovsims

I don't have a problem playing BD rips. My problem is playing a full BD backup and rewinding does nothing to help the situation. As for BD rips they play good but if you have a decent 1080P TV you can definately tell the difference. At least in my mind I think I can ;D

March 21, 2011, 12:28:40 AM
Reply #17

unl0rd

I know this is an old thread, the red writing told me so, anyways..

I've always had intermittent troubles with the wired ethernet on my WDTV Live. Playing a movie from a share would usually work, even HD, but now and again it would slow down and be really jumpy. Also with transfering file directly to and from the WDTV usb drive, sometimes it would work, sometimes not.

It turned out the NIC in my computer was causing the troubles. try changing it or puting in a new one if you use the onboard NIc and see if there's an improvement, it definately worked for me, now I never have troubles.

March 28, 2011, 08:56:02 PM
Reply #18

roryt

netsrac :
COST + NEED = 10/100 ethernet
and please its gigabit not gigaport. sheesh

OK I was a DJ for 20 years and used a Gigaport, sort of stuck in my head, but I am sure people understand what I meant.

FYI -  as of 2009 Gigabit NICs (1000BASE-T) are included in almost all desktop and server computer systems.

So why not include it here?

The Popcorn Hour & Patriot (which is cheaper) both have a gigabit ethernet.

The biggest problem with the Patriot is the lack of Mac support. (Note I am not saying either of these boxes are better)

From what I have been reading here, there are a lot of users who actually file transfer to their WDTV Live box (as opposed to streaming), heck WD added software to do this.  I would much rather transfer a 4g file through gigabit than 10/100

I still like the WDTV Live, or I would not have bought 2 of them, when I already have 2 WDTV boxes.  I just can't wait for all the bugs to be figured out.

So true. I was just googling to find out if the wd tv live has a gigabit port, I found this thread. I am one of those people who FTP all my new media files (movies mainly) to my attached storage devices. I get about 8-12mb/s average when transferring to the wd live. (I can deal, I usually do big transfers at night).

However, I just purchased my first NAS as well as a gigabit switch to connect the NAS and my laptop to. I just transferred a 1.5GB file using FTP in filezilla and I was getting 55-100mb/s! Now that I've been spoiled, I agree with this guy. WD did "drop the ball" on this. Being 2-year old technology and commonly used on almost all other similar devices and newer PCs...why the hell didn't they just put a gigabit port instead of the 10/100?