Author Topic: Help! What version of WD TV do I have?  (Read 22629 times)

November 10, 2009, 04:05:27 PM
Read 22629 times

littlenoodle

I just ordered this WD TV from Staples.com. They have 2 models of WD TV listed. One for $99 and one for $129. I thought the $129 was the WD TV Live so I ordered it. It came in today but it looks like a regular WD TV so I will be returning it. However, the model number does not match, and it says it supports DTS. I thought only the Live supports DTS? I took pictures of the box below. What do you guys think?

xxx

November 10, 2009, 08:18:45 PM
Reply #1

ScottWD

That would be the new WD TV Gen2 -- we will have more details and news about this product soon.

-ScottWD

November 11, 2009, 01:58:26 AM
Reply #2

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
That would be the new WD TV Gen2 -- we will have more details and news about this product soon.

Eh??  Are you saying that the WD TV Gen2 and WD TV Live are two different products?  This is going to confuse everybody.  I think everyone was under the impression that WD TV Live was WD TV Gen2  ???
Gen1, ext3-boot, Belkin AX88178 Gigabit adapter, Synology DS109 NAS

How-to setup WD TV with NFS shares

November 11, 2009, 11:51:22 AM
Reply #3

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Yikes! 

I will have to look into this one!
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

November 11, 2009, 12:27:47 PM
Reply #4

B5Fan

Here is the description from Staples.com

Play full-HD 1080p video on your HDTV.

WD TV HD Media Player turns your My Passport, or similar USB drive, into an HD media player. Connect your USB hard drive to this device and play crisp, HD movies, listen to high-quality digital music, and watch slideshows of your family photos inbrilliant 1080p quality on your HD TV. Automatically supports a wide variety of file formats so you don't need to spend time transcoding to the right format. There's no limit to the size of your media collection; just add more drives for more movies. Supports Full-HD 1080p video playback and navigation. Also works with most popular USB drives, digital cameras, and camcorders.

Full HD 1080p resolution
Play media from your USB drive
Play a wide variety of file formats
Supports Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) to playback content from your digital camera
Auto-play support for your digital signage solution
File management capability (Copy, Delete)
DTS audio support

DVD-like menu

Looks like they added a few extras.  I wonder what the last DVD-like menu is.

November 11, 2009, 01:11:37 PM
Reply #5

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
What I don't get is that if Staples already have stock and are shipping it, why is there is no official info on it from WD yet?

November 11, 2009, 07:52:30 PM
Reply #6

littlenoodle

I was going to return and wait until I can find a WDTV Live, but do you guys think it is worth keeping? I do want networking capability though...

There is another thread about this new model on avsforum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1195534

November 11, 2009, 08:15:48 PM
Reply #7

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
So far we know:

* It has DTS downmix
* It Has HDMI 3.1
* It supports Deep Color Mode

My guess is it is the Live Hardware without the networking.  It would make sense to streamline the production line if they intent to keep the WDTV. 

But I am just guessing :)
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

November 12, 2009, 01:29:34 AM
Reply #8

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
There are a few online retailers in the UK with it listed on their sites, none have stock as I would expect, but some show stock expected 30Nov.  Price approx. the same as the current WDTV, about 78 (as usual amazon.co.uk will probably be cheaper maybe 69 current price of WDTV).   If I can get it for 69 I'd seriously consider this as a 2nd unit, as I've been considering the Mini (if there had been custom firmware I would have bought the Mini already).

November 15, 2009, 04:19:01 PM
Reply #9

franks

• DeSpammer

If you go to BFads.net and then go to the Best Buy scan, you will find that the WDTV is going to be on sale on Black Friday for $75. I'm guessing that it is the original version, but maybe they'll mess up and put a few of the new version out for purchase.

Now I'm wondering whether I should buy the Live or not. Are they eventually going to have dvd menus for ISO's on the Live? Could they do it for the original version of WDTV? That Best Buy $20 off a $100 purchase if you pay by PayPal ends tonight or tomorrow. Sure would be nice to have better information available.

November 17, 2009, 04:52:51 AM
Reply #10

monkey13

Hi I've just started looking into getting one of these for Christmas and it seems to be a period of confusion.

Looking at amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-1080P-Media-Player/dp/B001ILFDCK it says

Note:
- MPEG2/4, H.264, and WMV9 supports up to 1920x1080p 24fps, 1920x1080i 30fps, 1280x720p 60fps resolution.
- An audio receiver is required for surround sound output.
- AAC/Dolby Digital decodes in 2 channel output only.

This to me says it's the newer one but the rest of the info makes no mention of HDMI 1.3

Am I reading the description correctly? Will this model decode to 2 channel through HDMI and composite?

Also Amazon lists the model number as WDAVP00BE does that mean anything to anyone?

November 17, 2009, 04:54:34 AM
Reply #11

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
That product code refers to the original gen 1

Note the "Date first available at Amazon.co.uk: 8 Jun 2007"

November 17, 2009, 05:42:33 AM
Reply #12

monkey13

Thanks Mr Lazy, but does the product description read like a gen 2 to you?

November 17, 2009, 06:17:48 AM
Reply #13

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy

November 17, 2009, 07:28:59 AM
Reply #14

monkey13

So it will have said this for WDTV gen 1

- AAC/Dolby Digital decodes in 2 channel output only.

I thought this was a gen 2 feature as gen 1 did no decoding only output to a decoder.