Author Topic: what is Samba?  (Read 1703 times)

November 09, 2009, 04:49:51 PM
Read 1703 times

aaronep

I have WDTV.Live which I purchased last week.  I desire to show movies on my tv set using a wireless router.  The setup does work in that I CAN watch YouTube files now on the TV set.

I wish to watch movies & tv shows that I have recorded onto the computer hard drive.

Page 62 of the WDTV.Live manual gives instructions starting with "To access media content from a network share (using Samba)".

What is Samba?   Is it software that was automatically downloaded when the WDTV software was installed from the installation disk, OR, is it separate software that needs to be downloaded from the internet, OR etc.

Is Samba necessary for the use I desire?

best, Aaron
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 07:33:48 PM by aaronep »

November 13, 2009, 05:54:06 PM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Hi Aaron, 

Welcome to the site!

I am no expert, but here is the basic info:

Samba is the standard Windows interoperability suite of programs for Linux and Unix.

Samba is Free Software licensed under the GNU General Public License, the Samba project is a member of the Software Freedom Conservancy.

Since 1992, Samba has provided secure, stable and fast file and print services for all clients using the SMB/CIFS protocol, such as all versions of DOS and Windows, OS/2, Linux and many others.

Samba is an important component to seamlessly integrate Linux/Unix Servers and Desktops into Active Directory environments using the winbind daemon.

Here is their site for more info:

http://www.samba.org/
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

November 13, 2009, 06:42:32 PM
Reply #2

3dxr

• Global Moderator

Jay, WIKIpedia is more better for newbies ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_%28software%29