Author Topic: Trouble copying files from Mac  (Read 1403 times)

November 07, 2009, 12:24:33 PM
Read 1403 times

ajh

Copying files over the network to the WDTV Live from my Mac is really hit and miss.  Either the file finishes copying, and results in  a size of 0 bytes, or when the operation is complete, the Mac reports that it did not succeed because the file is in use.

Anyone else have this issue?
 ???

November 07, 2009, 01:13:44 PM
Reply #1

timw

My WDTV is still "in the post", but I've had this problem with copying files to network shares in the past. Using finder, go into the folder where you are copying the files to on the network share and select "Show View Options" from the "View" menu and then turn off "Show Icon Preview". That has worked for me in this type of situation in the past so hopefully it will help in this case.

November 08, 2009, 04:07:54 PM
Reply #2

ajh

My WDTV is still "in the post", but I've had this problem with copying files to network shares in the past. Using finder, go into the folder where you are copying the files to on the network share and select "Show View Options" from the "View" menu and then turn off "Show Icon Preview". That has worked for me in this type of situation in the past so hopefully it will help in this case.

Thanks for the tip - I can see how this could potentially be the culprit.

November 14, 2009, 08:59:23 AM
Reply #3

timw

I still don't have my WDTV (it arrives on Monday...hopefully), but I've just had another occurrence of this problem on my NAS box. It came when I created a new folder using my Mac and then copied a file over. I don't know if this is an option with the WDTV, but this instance was fixed by ssh'ing into the NAS box, and doing a chmod a+rwx the new directory (I didn't do any real investigation - I just wanted to get it working - so I don't know the exact permissions necessary). It's months since I had the last problem so I'm not sure why it suddenly came back - though I did upgrade the version of freenas I'm running recently.

I'll do some more investigation, and if I find out anything more, I'll post here.

December 17, 2009, 07:39:11 PM
Reply #4

ajh

I'm not having any luck.  After the transfer, the error message is shown, or the file is copied, but is 0KB in size...

December 17, 2009, 07:59:39 PM
Reply #5

ajh

Ok, I take it back (sorta).

After copying a video to the shared disk connected to the WDTV Live, the file size in the finder is 0KB, but shows the correct size in bytes when I chose 'get info' on the file.

This is really strange.....