Author Topic: "hide" cover jpg in folder, but show thumbnails on video files ?  (Read 16090 times)

January 14, 2010, 08:01:46 PM
Reply #15

Relax Preppy

ive been running brads firmware since i bought this and i havent had this problem once, and then all of the sudden today i can see every JPEG in my movie folder... what the hell? i have my nfs shares mounted via net.mounts and cifs interceptor is on.

January 14, 2010, 08:07:52 PM
Reply #16

dribbller1

ive been running brads firmware since i bought this and i havent had this problem once, and then all of the sudden today i can see every JPEG in my movie folder... what the hell? i have my nfs shares mounted via net.mounts and cifs interceptor is on.

sorry this isnt an answer for you but more a question.... I cant get my net.mounts to work and have another thread where I have been getting help but still cant get it working.

I know I have the right ip in my net.mounts and I know I have the right folder name etc but I noticed you mentioned cifs interceptor being on.... my question is what is this cifs interceptor.... is that a part of mounting the network shares?

Im scraping the bottom of the barrel now looking for anwers as to why my net.mounts isnt being recognised.

January 14, 2010, 08:21:27 PM
Reply #17

Relax Preppy

sorry this isnt an answer for you but more a question.... I cant get my net.mounts to work and have another thread where I have been getting help but still cant get it working.

I know I have the right ip in my net.mounts and I know I have the right folder name etc but I noticed you mentioned cifs interceptor being on.... my question is what is this cifs interceptor.... is that a part of mounting the network shares?

Im scraping the bottom of the barrel now looking for anwers as to why my net.mounts isnt being recognised.

have you read this page?

http://b-rad.cc/1041/wdlxtv-live-tips-1-mounting-nfs-under-network-shares/

January 24, 2010, 11:21:51 AM
Reply #18

smck9800

After reading through lots of posts here on the thumbnail duplication, I tried several options (excluding new firmware), to no avail.

I have a WDTV Live (current Jan-2010 firmware) lots of .DivX, .AVI and .MKV files in a single directory on a Windows Home Server share.  I am accessing it via "network shares"  as the Media Server portion of WHS PP3 does not recognize MKV files.

The thumbnail image files are all .JPG with the same base name as the video file.  I see duplicate thumbnails. 

I tried to remove the .JPG, tried uppercase JPG and lowercase jpg, all did not work in removing duplicate thumbnails.  What is even more aggravating is that the way the files are sorted.  I have to skip through ALL of the JPG thumbnail files on the TV before I get to the actual video files.

The ThumbGen program found here in the forum is amazing, but the support of the WDTV Live for thumbnails is disappointing.

Any further ideas/suggestions?

Thank you.

SMcK
San Diego

January 24, 2010, 02:49:40 PM
Reply #19

jason407

After reading through lots of posts here on the thumbnail duplication, I tried several options (excluding new firmware), to no avail.

I have a WDTV Live (current Jan-2010 firmware) lots of .DivX, .AVI and .MKV files in a single directory on a Windows Home Server share.  I am accessing it via "network shares"  as the Media Server portion of WHS PP3 does not recognize MKV files.

The thumbnail image files are all .JPG with the same base name as the video file.  I see duplicate thumbnails. 

I tried to remove the .JPG, tried uppercase JPG and lowercase jpg, all did not work in removing duplicate thumbnails.  What is even more aggravating is that the way the files are sorted.  I have to skip through ALL of the JPG thumbnail files on the TV before I get to the actual video files.

The ThumbGen program found here in the forum is amazing, but the support of the WDTV Live for thumbnails is disappointing.

Any further ideas/suggestions?

Thank you.

SMcK
San Diego
Please contact WD and express your concern, I have...and they claim it is NOT A BUG...I feel like many more people need to complain about this if we are ever going to get any help from WD.

Until then, you can use the b-rad firmware and mount your shares to avoid the problem...or there are other workarounds that can be found by searching the forum.

June 03, 2010, 06:36:55 AM
Reply #20

shaggs

Sorry to bump, but here is my solution:

Since with b-rad's firmware, thumbnails and sheet images do not need to be in the same folder as the movie, put all the images in their own folder.

Additionally since linux hides folders and files starting with a period, rename the folder containing your images to ".images".  Then the folder won't even show up, but the thumbnails and sheets will still be found.

December 27, 2010, 12:28:37 PM
Reply #21

popplen

Duplicated thumbnail solution for standard firmware: (for me, at least...)
I have had this issue too. And I do not want to use unsupported firmware just yet.
So I actually fixed it by adding a '.' in front of the filename of the .jpg. This hides the jpg file, but keeps the thumbnail action intact.  8)
Unfortunately the trick does not seem to work for folder.jpg  :'(

I am sorry. This only seemed to work because the device was caching the thumbnails. After a power cycle all thumbs were gone...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 04:28:25 AM by popplen »

December 27, 2010, 03:38:57 PM
Reply #22

snackbidi

You need to mount your network drive as per the instructions. Specify the proper IP address of your network drive, the folder the content is in, and the username and password (if there are any) for the network share. Add that line in the proper format into the net.mounts file and put that on the root of a USB  thumbdrive connected to the Live and do a full powercycle (unplug the power for 10 seconds). The details can be found all over this forum. Buhric's got a step-by-step detailed guide of how to do it in his signature, so just check that out and you should be good to go.

Once the drive is mounted (keep in mind that the USB thumbdrive always needs to be plugged in for this to work), your content will show up as a local drive as well as a network share (and media server, if you've got it set up like that) and after selecting the local drive as the source, go down to "Folders" and enter that and it will show you the folder all your videos are in, and enter that and you will see everything as it is supposed to appear without the additional jpegs. The jpegs are always shown when you access through Network Shares, so the way I've been able to hide them is to keep all the moviesheets in a separate folder in the same directory as the movies, so the images and the movies aren't mixed together, but I don't know if others use/want to use the same method.

May 24, 2011, 12:11:21 PM
Reply #23

T-shirt guy

Possible solution?

I only bought my WD TV Live box at the weekend and have been playing around with the settings.  I've found that sticking a '.' in front of the jpg filename stops the unwanted .jpg files from showing, but they still show up attached to the .avi files that I've created.  At first I thought the images might still be cached, but they survived a reboot and a new file that I had just added showed up to.

So, if I have a file called Dogma.avi, the associated image filename is .Dogma.avi

When I browse using a network share, only the .avi file shows in the WD TV browser, but with the cover art showing from the hidden file.

Hope this makes sense...

May 24, 2011, 04:26:33 PM
Reply #24

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television

May 26, 2011, 06:05:56 PM
Reply #25

Buhric

whatever you put a "." prediod in front of will be hidden in the WDTV Live

so ".folder.jpg" will hide the file, but still show the Folder thumbnail
".MovieName.jpg" whill hide the "MovieName.avi" thumbnail, but will still show it
".MovieName.avi_sheet.jpg" will hide the movie sheet file, but still display it...

But remember that this is the WDTV only, in windows they will still show up has "normal" not hidden
unless you have a Unix style OS (Linux / MAc OSX)