1 (5.6%)
C: to F: in Subdirectories
2 (11.1%)
Higher than F: in Root
2 (11.1%)
Higher than F: in Subdirs
4 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Poll on Sucessful Networked Drive/Folder Locations  (Read 2256 times)

November 05, 2009, 02:36:45 PM
Read 2256 times

eucyblues

Hi - After reading many posts, messing around and getting frustrated with network shares appearing and disappearing, I THINK I'm slowly beginning to see a pattern relating to the shared folder locations.  I tried placing test files (VOB, m2ts,mp4 etc) in a shared subdir of K: drive - had constant problems with the share disappearing and when it did show I constantly received the "no media files in current directory" message - I moved them around, tried the '!' prefix to the share name (referred to in a post) - In all this I noticed that one shared subdirectory in D: drive which I wasn't messing with behaved itself all the time (called "Sony Video and Photo Files")

So I shifted the test files to a subdir of D: called it 'Share 1' and BINGO - up it came and all files visible and playable

This leads me to believe that the WDTV Live has problems with shares of higher lettered drives, and that the location of the share in the drive hierarchy may be as important as the name of the shared folder (which has received some attention in previous posts)

So it would be useful to all those who are continuing to battle the vagaries of the networking of this unit to know what HAS been sucessful - any extra detailed feedback would also be most useful - If my suspicions are wrong then the extra info will still be most useful - Thanks in anticipation

November 06, 2009, 01:14:52 AM
Reply #1

zetaprime

Hi - After reading many posts, messing around and getting frustrated with network shares appearing and disappearing, I THINK I'm slowly beginning to see a pattern relating to the shared folder locations.  I tried placing test files (VOB, m2ts,mp4 etc) in a shared subdir of K: drive - had constant problems with the share disappearing and when it did show I constantly received the "no media files in current directory" message - I moved them around, tried the '!' prefix to the share name (referred to in a post) - In all this I noticed that one shared subdirectory in D: drive which I wasn't messing with behaved itself all the time (called "Sony Video and Photo Files")

So I shifted the test files to a subdir of D: called it 'Share 1' and BINGO - up it came and all files visible and playable

This leads me to believe that the WDTV Live has problems with shares of higher lettered drives, and that the location of the share in the drive hierarchy may be as important as the name of the shared folder (which has received some attention in previous posts)

So it would be useful to all those who are continuing to battle the vagaries of the networking of this unit to know what HAS been sucessful - any extra detailed feedback would also be most useful - If my suspicions are wrong then the extra info will still be most useful - Thanks in anticipation

I have shares on subdirectories of of drives up to "Q". The trick I found out was to add another name for each shared folder that started with "!". Every share to which I added the additional name shows up and works fine. I don't have any shares on the root directories of any drive since only designated folders have media in them.

November 06, 2009, 02:51:05 AM
Reply #2

eucyblues

Thanks zetaprime

It seems it's more inconsistent than I thought - I tried your '!' trick with extra share names etc before posting the poll, but it still didn't work on folders in K: drive - I could sometimes see the folder, but it couldn't see the video files in it until as I mentioned - I moved the folder to D: and it worked fine - It shouldn't be this hard.......

Also, my main machine is an XP unit on which the WD sees the network shares, a second machine is a Vista Laptop in the same workgroup with shared folders - both computers can see one another and both can see and edit the USB drive attached to the WD, but the WD can only see the XP machine under network shares, and the Vista machine as a Media Server - when I try to see the shared folders under (or try to find anything for that matter) on the Vista machine from the WD, the bloody wheel spins interminably before giving the same message 'no media files in current directory'

Any ideas on why that's happening would be appreciated

November 06, 2009, 01:47:21 PM
Reply #3

zetaprime

Thanks zetaprime

It seems it's more inconsistent than I thought - I tried your '!' trick with extra share names etc before posting the poll, but it still didn't work on folders in K: drive - I could sometimes see the folder, but it couldn't see the video files in it until as I mentioned - I moved the folder to D: and it worked fine - It shouldn't be this hard.......

Also, my main machine is an XP unit on which the WD sees the network shares, a second machine is a Vista Laptop in the same workgroup with shared folders - both computers can see one another and both can see and edit the USB drive attached to the WD, but the WD can only see the XP machine under network shares, and the Vista machine as a Media Server - when I try to see the shared folders under (or try to find anything for that matter) on the Vista machine from the WD, the bloody wheel spins interminably before giving the same message 'no media files in current directory'

Any ideas on why that's happening would be appreciated

Maybe mine works because I'm using Windows 7.

November 09, 2009, 02:35:07 AM
Reply #4

mrbill

I see everything I have set to Share.

3 HDs, 1 DVD burner, 1 DVD Player, 1 Thumbdrive, 2 USB drives.

Roots and  Folders/Directories.

C: thru  N:

edit >>  And I can access videos and/or photos from all.
 USB drives are partitioned K:, L:, M:, N:

Running  XP Pro SP2
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:03:01 AM by mrbill »
Running Win 7 Ultimate 64 and no problems anywhere.