Author Topic: AM I THE ONLY ONE??????  (Read 4032 times)

November 05, 2009, 10:15:31 AM
Read 4032 times

trvrkn

Am I the only one these forums who has a NAS and the video playback is horrindeous.  Slow, sluggish and skipping for no apparent reason???? It uses SMB technology...

Why is everyone so silent.....???  My NAS works great on my Asus oplay, but not on wdtv..... 

Anyone got any suggestions?? PLEEASE!!!???

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

November 05, 2009, 10:37:43 AM
Reply #1

Headcase_Fargone

Might want to supply some more details.  Make and model of NAS, network specifics, connection, etc.

November 05, 2009, 12:25:59 PM
Reply #2

trvrkn

Might want to supply some more details.  Make and model of NAS, network specifics, connection, etc.

I have a ADDONICS USB 2 EThernet NAS adapter...I have my WD 1tb hdd hooked into the adapter, and an ethernet coming out of the adapter into my Router....PC, and Asus oplay media player see adapter + HDD through network, and plays HD files and everything without any problems!!!

BUt when I play the files through WDTV LIVE...the movies lag and skip and slugg no matter what the file is......BUt PC Shares seen through the WDTV LIVE play HD fine, its just the NAS with the hdd play slow through WDTV LIVE

HOpe that enough information ?  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

November 08, 2009, 05:26:55 PM
Reply #3

wiiBox

The only answer I can offer you is this from the official WD site:

"While most NAS drives drives that have either UPnP streaming, or appear as a SAMBA device on your network, will work with the WD TV Live HD Media Player, we have done the majority of our testing using Western Digital NAS drives. As a result we cannot guarantee compatibility with any specific third-party NAS drives."

That's a straight copy and paste and it does indeed say "drives" twice.  You'll find that here:

http://support.wdc.com/product/kb.asp?groupid=1003&lang=en
Click on "Installation Help & Troubleshooting"
Then "New - List of devices that can be connected to a WD TV Live HD Media Player"

Good luck!

November 08, 2009, 09:35:46 PM
Reply #4

liveuser

Have you plugged the hard disk into the Live and see if there's same problem?

You might want to consider leaving the hard disk connected to the Live and use it from there as a NAS.  Then you don't need the USB2 to NAS adapter.

November 08, 2009, 11:49:57 PM
Reply #5

kelad

I have a D-Link DNS-313 and streaming direct via network shares was also slugglish. Some people made some recommendations in http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=2345.0, which i have not followed up on, as I enabled the dlink upnp media server on the NAS and streaming was then excellent. I then enabled MediaTomb which is installed on the DNS-313 as a fun-plug and its even better.  :)