Author Topic: [BUG?] Windows 7 Play To feature and WD TV Live  (Read 11670 times)

February 23, 2010, 07:45:15 PM
Reply #15

az1324

This is fixed in the new beta firmware but local playback controls are disabled so I can't start a movie from the PC and then use the remote to pause/ff/rw etc...

February 24, 2010, 11:44:48 AM
Reply #16

NoSubstitute

• No Substitute
This is fixed in the new beta firmware but local playback controls are disabled so I can't start a movie from the PC and then use the remote to pause/ff/rw etc...

hehe, no, the local controls aren't "disabled".
The movie doesn't play on your WDTVLive, it is only rendered there, so you must control if from WMP on you PC.
Sadly, I haven't found any other music-player that will send music to the WDTVLive. Being an old Winamp user I really dislike WMP.

However, WMP plays mp3 files just fine to the WDTVLive. DLNA doesn't support FLAC, so that's not going to happen. Nor does it support MKV, which for me isn't a problem, since I play movies nicely one at the time controlled from the WDTVLive itself. But music (flac) would be nice to control from the computer instead, since it has better queueing functions.
There is No Substitute!

February 24, 2010, 12:02:14 PM
Reply #17

Ralfioni

hehe, no, the local controls aren't "disabled".
The movie doesn't play on your WDTVLive, it is only rendered there, so you must control if from WMP on you PC.

Are you sure about this? I thought this was the beauty of controlpoints - that they just control what is being played, but don't actually have an active part in the setup once the media is streaming. I.e. I don't see why another controlpoint - like the one integrated in the WDTV - could take over.

February 24, 2010, 02:57:19 PM
Reply #18

az1324

Exactly. 

To support scenarios with multiple control points, eventing is designed to keep all control points equally informed about the state of the device. This means that all subscribers are sent all event messages, and subscribers receive event messages for all evented variables that have changed.

So there is no reason why local control couldn't work at the same time as long as it was configured properly.

February 25, 2010, 01:15:48 AM
Reply #19

NoSubstitute

• No Substitute
Exactly. 
So there is no reason why local control couldn't work at the same time as long as it was configured properly.

You hit the nail right there: "as long as it was configured properly".
I did a lot of searches to find why things really don't work as the should and came across this article:
http://gxben.wordpress.com/2008/08/24/why-do-i-hate-dlna-protocol-so-much/
In detail he describes how the dlna protocol is so inherently broken it's amazing it works at all.
There is No Substitute!

February 26, 2010, 12:47:45 AM
Reply #20

NoSubstitute

• No Substitute
Just today found out the I can use foobar2000 to play my music to the WDTVLive!

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=4987.0

No more fiddling with PlayTo!
There is No Substitute!