Author Topic: REQ v1.02.04 Subtitles when playing ISO files  (Read 2286 times)

April 15, 2009, 12:07:18 PM
Read 2286 times

zorro

I know that ISO support is not official released, but as it have worked fine for me I think this question is relevant.
In approx. 50% of my ISO files subtitles does not work "NO SUBTITLE" when trying to select Sub in the options menu. Is this a known problem or is there a workaround to get the subtitles to work? Will this be implemented in next FW release? I'm currently at Ver. 1.02.04. I'm mainly using swedish subtitles.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 07:58:32 PM by jayallan »

April 15, 2009, 02:18:21 PM
Reply #1

mytbyte

Subtitles do work in .ISOs made from DVD video discs...an error in ripping to .iso may have rendered the subtitles unusable, possibly if you removed the first subtitle substream which is usually English...it is best to re-author the DVD, in which case whichever subtitles you decided to leave will fall into the place of the first subtitle substream...

April 16, 2009, 11:03:16 AM
Reply #2

zorro

Thanks for the quick response, but I don't quite follow. What do you mean by that "Subtitles do work in .ISOs made from DVD video discs"??? The subtitles works just fine when playing the same ISO files on my computer....

April 16, 2009, 11:48:06 AM
Reply #3

mytbyte

What do you mean when you say .ISO - it is usually a rip from either a DVD video or bluray disc - which are you referring to? Subtitles work with all my .ISOs of DVD video discs...what I meant to say is this: WDTV seems to have a bug (surprise :D): if you removed subtitle tracks in languages you don't need before making the .ISO (I'm not saying you did), then it is possible that the remaining subtitles fail to display...

April 16, 2009, 12:49:10 PM
Reply #4

zorro

I'm referring to DVD video ISO files. I have removed all subtitles except Swedish, do you mean that this can cause the subtitle to disapear "NO SUBTITLE". And if I will keep all subtitles it will work just fine for all? Hope that this bug will be solved in the next release. 

April 17, 2009, 01:21:40 AM
Reply #5

fred_be9300

yes.
People who looked into this before have concluded that if you remove the "first" subtitle of the DVD-Video while ripping, then the WDTV will fail to see the remaining subtitles. So this is rather a bug, not a FR.

(similarly, if you removed the "first" audio track, then WDTV fails to see the remaining audio tracks)

This seems to affect ISO and VIDEO_TS, but not VOB.

Note: first audio is referred to as 0x80, first subtitle is referred to as 0x20; on a technical level. ( = I don't know what that means ;) )

April 17, 2009, 09:46:59 AM
Reply #6

zorro

Ok, hopefully this will be fixed in coming FW release.

April 19, 2009, 12:33:05 AM
Reply #7

zorro

I have now loaded v1.02.06 and no improvment, does enyone know if this have been reported to WD and if this is planned to be corrected.
As this seems to be a known issue I assume that WD are looking into this, or......

April 19, 2009, 02:54:45 AM
Reply #8

fred_be9300

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't expect DVD-Video handling to change under 1.02.x

Probably WD is working with specific targets per FW version, and given all we've heard so far, DVD-Video isn't one of them.

That being said, I support this request. :), and I hope it'll be fixed.

I know the support for TS_VIDEO and ISO isn't 100% official, even though ScottWD did claim back in November, in another forum, that it was. That post by Scott was part of my decision making to buy the unit.