Author Topic: a few newbie questions  (Read 5128 times)

October 30, 2009, 09:41:58 AM
Read 5128 times

s3verian

Hi all,

I've just loaded up B-Rad's .7 WDLXTV-Live firmware and successfully setup NFS to my Win7 box via Hanewin.  I'm new to WDTV, however, and was wondering about a few missing features from the official release.

1) DVD menu support for ISO files. 
From searching the forums, this appears to have been an oft-requested feature, but it appears it's not going to happen due to licensing.  Are there any plans to implement this for WDLXTV-Live or associated programs?  Could VLC, mplayer, etc be leveraged as in XBMC?

2) IMDB support for downloading movie art, summaries, etc. 
This is a great feature in XBMC, but seems to be missing from the older WD TV.  What would be required to implement it in WD TV Live?

3) Additional codec support (WMA HD, etc). 
What's required to add a codec?

Thanks!
Anthony

October 30, 2009, 01:43:26 PM
Reply #1

hackman2007

I can answer the 3rd question, which is no. It's hard to add additional codecs if they aren't already built in.

Regarding number one, I think b-rad said he is slowly working on menu's, but don't count on it, probably extremely tough to do.

October 30, 2009, 02:00:20 PM
Reply #2

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
From searching the forums, this appears to have been an oft-requested feature, but it appears it's not going to happen due to licensing.  Are there any plans to implement this for WDLXTV-Live or associated programs?  Could VLC, mplayer, etc be leveraged as in XBMC?

as hackman says I am slowly working on this actually. I'm not sure how long it will take as it is a bit complicated and therefore motivation and pace goes slowly. I don't really have any iso's of dvds and don't real plan on going that route either so unfortunately its hard to get off the backburner. Theres too many other things that should be worked on that have higher interest to me. It'll happen sooner or later.

October 30, 2009, 11:49:59 PM
Reply #3

bigmatrixx

Here is my noob question. I know I am being dense, but I am unable to log into the WDTVLIVE. I am able to connect via telenet/ssh. I thought the user id is "root" and the password is either "wdtvlive" or blank. I have tried both an neither work. I know I am missing something very basic. Sorry for the noob question.  :-[ Thanks!

October 31, 2009, 11:48:37 AM
Reply #4

s3verian

Here is my noob question. I know I am being dense, but I am unable to log into the WDTVLIVE. I am able to connect via telenet/ssh. I thought the user id is "root" and the password is either "wdtvlive" or blank. I have tried both an neither work. I know I am missing something very basic. Sorry for the noob question.  :-[ Thanks!

Have you already loaded WDLXTV-live?  If not, grab the latest version from here -
http://b-rad.cc/1000/wdtv-live-homebrew-firmware-development
Unzip the contents to the root of your flash or USB hard drive, power down your WDTV, and unplug/replug the USB to your WDTV-Live.  After it boots, it'll prompt if you want to upgrade your firmware.  Click yes, then go call someone you haven't spoken to in a while.  When you come back it should be done.

Then just SSH via Putty, etc. to whatever your IP is, and use "root" (no quotes) as your username.  WDLXTV_LIVE-0.1.7 won't prompt you for a password.

October 31, 2009, 11:51:30 AM
Reply #5

s3verian

as hackman says I am slowly working on this actually. I'm not sure how long it will take as it is a bit complicated and therefore motivation and pace goes slowly. I don't really have any iso's of dvds and don't real plan on going that route either so unfortunately its hard to get off the backburner. Theres too many other things that should be worked on that have higher interest to me. It'll happen sooner or later.

Thanks B-rad.  Out of curiosity, would a program like vlc or mplayer run on the WDTV-Live?

October 31, 2009, 10:28:23 PM
Reply #6

bigmatrixx

Here is my noob question. I know I am being dense, but I am unable to log into the WDTVLIVE. I am able to connect via telenet/ssh. I thought the user id is "root" and the password is either "wdtvlive" or blank. I have tried both an neither work. I know I am missing something very basic. Sorry for the noob question.  :-[ Thanks!

Have you already loaded WDLXTV-live?  If not, grab the latest version from here -
http://b-rad.cc/1000/wdtv-live-homebrew-firmware-development
Unzip the contents to the root of your flash or USB hard drive, power down your WDTV, and unplug/replug the USB to your WDTV-Live.  After it boots, it'll prompt if you want to upgrade your firmware.  Click yes, then go call someone you haven't spoken to in a while.  When you come back it should be done.

Then just SSH via Putty, etc. to whatever your IP is, and use "root" (no quotes) as your username.  WDLXTV_LIVE-0.1.7 won't prompt you for a password.

Thanks for the response s3verian. I did all of the above. I used putty to access the WDTV via ssh and it did ask for a password. Maybe I should use telnet instead of ssh.

One other question. I have Samba running on my Ubuntu Server NAS. I would like to create direct mounts to the media subdirectories. To do this it looks like I need to modify the net.mounts. Since Samba emulates the windows file system, I assume I have to do something like this: "xmount //192.168.0.34/ShareName ShareName cifs user=username,pass=password" (from the net.mount example).

I am a little concerned about security. I was hoping I wouldn't have to save the user id and password in the net.mount. I guess I could create a limited user in linux. I may end up doing that.

Regarding general security, how have others secured the WDTV? It seems pretty open. Any concerns? I guess it is the choice between full customization and having the WDTV locked down. Although, I am sure the standard FW is hackable--everything is.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 10:43:46 PM by bigmatrixx »

November 02, 2009, 05:04:53 PM
Reply #7

Made_in_Michigan

Another question from a newbie Brad.
Will this firmware enable XFS file system support.  I have a Buffalo NAS with a lot of MKV videos that I can't see on my WD Live.  I can see the NAS device, but it tells me there is no media content in folder.  Any experience with Buffalo Link Station and XFS file system?

Thanks for the great work.

Matt

November 03, 2009, 05:33:11 PM
Reply #8

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
Will this firmware enable XFS file system support.  I have a Buffalo NAS with a lot of MKV videos that I can't see on my WD Live.  I can see the NAS device, but it tells me there is no media content in folder.  Any experience with Buffalo Link Station and XFS file system?

Matt

It won't right now, when I have time I'm going to get around making a buildroot environment so I can compile modules/etc. I am just very short on time. With a proper buildroot all the missing/additional modules can be added to the firmware.

November 03, 2009, 06:18:28 PM
Reply #9

Ant1037

Matt

Hi Matt,
I have a 1Tb linkstation live and I can see mkvs on the WD TV Live. Are you going into the NAS as a share? I had trouble seeing files while accessing it as a server.
I'm a total n00b also but am willing to help if I can..