Author Topic: Dolby Digital 5.1  (Read 2758 times)

October 29, 2009, 04:43:52 AM
Read 2758 times

csharp.windev

This is about Dolby Digital 5.1 and not DTS 5.1 audio.

I'm connected to TV via component with RCA audio. Then I have TOSlink connected to my receiver. I have audio set as Digital.

Video with AC-3/1 or AC-3/2 channel will output through TV (RCA), but AC-3/5.1 won't. AC-3/5.1 audio will only come through the TV if I explicitly set audio to Stereo.

I consider this a bug or serious feature ommission.

I tested a AC-3/5.1 audio only DVD in 3 DVD players with audio set to digital (one player is almost 10 years old). Same exact connections to TV and receiver as WD TV Live and I get audio through the TV and Receiver (as expected). I tested 2 different game consoles and they all work fine.

So 5 other devices (much older) I have can handle this with no problems but the WD Live can't?

I don't think I should have to fiddle with the settings to get it to play the audio through the TV if I don't want the receiver turned on. That's not very user friendly if you ask me.

Is there a solution to this?  Or maybe get fixed via firmware update down the road?

October 31, 2009, 09:43:26 AM
Reply #1

mrg

RCA carries 2 channel stereo.  The AC3/1 AC3/2 is mono/stereo so that is how it is output regardless of the WDTV setting.  The AC3/ 5.1 cannot be output as stereo over the RCA unless the WDTV is set to stereo and therefore converts it to 2 channel.

Your old devices would probably auto convert AC3/5.1 to 2 channel for the RCA jacks.

October 31, 2009, 12:22:16 PM
Reply #2

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
AC3 5.1 digital is 100% supported with both WDTV players.  If it is not working for you and you are sure the connections are correct (which it sounds like they are) and you are sure the files are 5.1 then you must have a defective unit.  I play 5.1 ac3 files all the time. 
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

October 31, 2009, 02:42:35 PM
Reply #3

mrg

He is trying to play AC3/5.1 over RCA with the WDTV set to digital.

October 31, 2009, 03:22:11 PM
Reply #4

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Hard to tell exactly what he is trying to do.  He does say he is connected to his receiver correctly with toslink.  Obviously there is no way he is getting 5.1 over RCA from any of his 5 older devices to his TV.  But he also says he cant get 5.1 through his tv so ???
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

November 01, 2009, 04:03:43 AM
Reply #5

csharp.windev

Hard to tell exactly what he is trying to do.  He does say he is connected to his receiver correctly with toslink.  Obviously there is no way he is getting 5.1 over RCA from any of his 5 older devices to his TV.  But he also says he cant get 5.1 through his tv so ???

I'm saying the 5.1 is downmixed with my older devices (not 5.1 over RCA) even with audio set to digital (as mrg noted as well) and that WD TV Live will only downmix 5.1 if I explicitly set the audio setting to Stereo (also as mrg noted).  So this means if I want to watch a video just using the TV sound I have to change the setting from Digital to Stereo in WD Live.  This is not very user friendly.

My other devices I don't have to do this because they will downmix the 5.1 to stereo automatically w/o me having to change my audio settings.

November 01, 2009, 04:09:22 AM
Reply #6

csharp.windev

RCA carries 2 channel stereo.  The AC3/1 AC3/2 is mono/stereo so that is how it is output regardless of the WDTV setting.  The AC3/ 5.1 cannot be output as stereo over the RCA unless the WDTV is set to stereo and therefore converts it to 2 channel.

Your old devices would probably auto convert AC3/5.1 to 2 channel for the RCA jacks.

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe they can fix this with a firmware update.  Sure would be nice if it would automatically downmix it.  Even though I have the receiver on most of the time when watching movies, there are times I don't (if my son wants to watch one of his Blue's Clues videos or something).  It can't be rocket science either if so many other (much older and less powerful) devices can do it.

Other than this little fault I love the WD Live and have been recommending it to everyone.

November 01, 2009, 03:20:42 PM
Reply #7

necco

Just plug in the RCA video connector (yellow) and keep your toslink cable in the receiver. See if that works, if you get no sound maybe the wdtv live has some sort of device defaulting to rca if it detects a connection

November 01, 2009, 06:23:45 PM
Reply #8

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
See, You are confusing everyone! :)

So you want it to pass stereo (2.0 downmix) to your TV and at the same time 5.1 to your receiver?  So you don't always have to turn on the receiver if it is just a kids show or something?  That is what I am translating here.  And if the WDTV is set to digital 5.1 it turns off the stereo outputs to the RCA? 

You must have an old tv with no toslink or hdmi inputs then?  May be time to upgrade your tv I am afread.  If it had any digital inputs that would solve your problem.

November 02, 2009, 04:08:02 AM
Reply #9

csharp.windev

See, You are confusing everyone! :)

So you want it to pass stereo (2.0 downmix) to your TV and at the same time 5.1 to your receiver?  So you don't always have to turn on the receiver if it is just a kids show or something?  That is what I am translating here.  And if the WDTV is set to digital 5.1 it turns off the stereo outputs to the RCA? 

You must have an old tv with no toslink or hdmi inputs then?  May be time to upgrade your tv I am afread.  If it had any digital inputs that would solve your problem.

No, I think you're the only one getting confused  :)

Yes to all 3 of your questions.

If you read my original post it say with WD Live audio set to digital, audio will still ouput over RCA if the source is AC-3/1 or AC-3/2 but not if it's AC-3/5.1.

Then I also mention that every other device I own has no problems passing through AC-3/5.1 over digital (TOSlink) and downmixing it to 2 channel stereo over RCA.

Yes, my TV is a little old (w/no TOSlink or HDMI inputs) but I'm not upgrading it to satifisy one devices inabilities when all others work perfectly fine in the same configuration.