Author Topic: Dolby Digital TrueHD!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 16660 times)

October 28, 2009, 05:35:03 PM
Read 16660 times

SputnikNYC

I have a few HD files with Dolby Digital TrueHD original sound and none of them working on my WDTV Live, i've seen posts where people stating that Dolby Digital TrueHD does working fine on their WDTV Live!!!

Can anyone confirm that???

November 01, 2009, 04:03:55 PM
Reply #1

SputnikNYC

How come this type of treads get ignored???

I mean, 180 people went trough this topic and not a single person wans to get involved??? This is my second thread trying to get that DD True HD and DTS-HD issue cleared and i don't get any feedback, not a single clue!!!

Is this classified information or something, so please tell me and i'll stop wasting my time and yours by making all this threads!!! Isn't this a WDTV forum?

omg.....  

November 01, 2009, 06:18:51 PM
Reply #2

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Chill!

We have thousands of members now and most are newbies!  I own this forum and I don't know the answer definitively.  I am told that it works but I don't have a True HD/ DTS-MD receiver so I can't be certain.  I am sure someone will pop in soon enough.  :)

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

November 02, 2009, 06:08:14 AM
Reply #3

SputnikNYC

Chill!

We have thousands of members now and most are newbies!  I own this forum and I don't know the answer definitively.  I am told that it works but I don't have a True HD/ DTS-MD receiver so I can't be certain.  I am sure someone will pop in soon enough.  :)

Thanks jayallan.....sorry about that, i hope you can understand my frustration!

I have a 5 year old Bose Lifestyle 28 which plays all my DTS files and the sound is very impressive, but i beginning to think that without HD receiver i won't be able to play DTS-HD or DD-TrueHD on my bose....

What do you think?

Thanks and sorry again..... 

November 02, 2009, 08:17:45 AM
Reply #4

MRobi

You need dts-hd reciver:

http://www.dts.com/Consumer_Electronics/Find_a_Manufacturer.aspx

I have onkyo tx-sr706 hdmi pass work perfect dd-truehd, but dts-ma only dowmix 5.1dts,i hope new fw support

November 02, 2009, 03:15:11 PM
Reply #5

Barronius

Dolby TrueHD works fine on my WDTV Live unit but you must have a receiver that can decode it. It is passed through on the HDMI cable so your receiver must also have HDMI inputs. I don't believe it can pass through on the optical cable.

November 02, 2009, 03:24:50 PM
Reply #6

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Yes, I can confirm that they require and HDMI connection to a True HD receiver.   
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

November 25, 2009, 01:05:47 PM
Reply #7

HeadHodge

I have a 5 year old Bose Lifestyle 28 which plays all my DTS files and the sound is very impressive, but i beginning to think that without HD receiver i won't be able to play DTS-HD or DD-TrueHD on my bose....

What do you think?

Thanks and sorry again..... 

I also have a Bose Lifestyle 28 and I have a new Yamaha HDMI receiver.

The Yamaha can decode Dobly TrueHD and DTS MA via a HDMI 1.3 input.

However, the Bose will only decode DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 via optical (SPIDF, Toslink) input. My understanding is that the Bose doesn't support the lossless formats (TrueHD and MA), because of the limitations of optical SPIDF. (the Bose doesn't have an HDMI input, so therefore no lossless support).

I've searched the forums here, but I'm still confused about what WDTV Live supports in the way of audio.

Specifically I'm trying to figure out if the WDTV Live supports the following for my Bluray Rips:

- Dolby TrueHD passthrough via HDMI cable?
- DTS MA passthrough via HDMI cable?
- Extract Dolby 5.1 core to optical output (no transcoding)?
- Extract DTS 5.1 core to optical output (no transcoding)?

And for my DVD Rips:

- Dolby 5.1 via HDMI and Optical outputs?
- DTS 5.1 via HDMI and Optical outputs?

Thanks in advance for anyone you answer my question. Apologize if this has been already answered, just couldn't find it by searching. There are bits and pieces lying around, but they seem to address configurations that don't apply to my needs (i.e. PCM 2.0 downmix via HDMI for televisions that can only play stereo, etc.)

Regards

November 25, 2009, 03:48:38 PM
Reply #8

rtga

I just got a new Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver yesterday (supports TrueHD) and quickly tried a few of my movies that had TrueHD tracks and when I selected them the player identified them as "unknown" and I got no output from the receiver.  Dolby Digital Plus tracks worked but it was a little glitchy.

The WDTV Live is connected directly to the receiver via a 1.3a compliant cable.

Unfortunately I only had about 30 minutes to mess around with everything before leaving town for the week.  I will have to experiment further when I return home.

November 29, 2009, 04:12:56 AM
Reply #9

supercell

I have the TX-SR707 and I'm getting TrueHD via pass through on a 1.3a

November 30, 2009, 10:41:13 AM
Reply #10

rtga

I have the TX-SR707 and I'm getting TrueHD via pass through on a 1.3a

Can you let us know your exact file format and system setup?  I have checked just about everything and I cannot get it to pass a TrueHD stream.

I have tried a number of rips straight from HD DVD source to mkv containers (using mkvmerge gui).  These are straight re-muxes - no transcoding at all.

Dolby Digital Plus works fine but the when the WDTV Live sees the TrueHD streams, it just says UNKNOWN (Unsupported) and there's no stream passed to my receiver.  I am serving the mkv files to the WDTV Live through a standard network share (not a media server).   As I mentioned earlier, I have a 1.3a cable. 

December 03, 2009, 05:07:37 AM
Reply #11

rtga

Anyone?  I've still been unable to get my WDTV Live to recognize any TrueHD tracks on any of my .MKV files.  Is it something that requires a different container?

December 04, 2009, 03:05:39 AM
Reply #12

pege63

U find the answer in manual at page 13 look there:

December 04, 2009, 06:43:24 AM
Reply #13

rtga

U find the answer in manual at page 13 look there:

I presume you mean the 13th page of the pdf.  there is no answer there.  It simply says
**2-channel only. 2+channel signal is sent via digital pass through to a receiver.

If we are to assume that TrueHD is lumped in as a "Dolby Digital" variant (Dolby just calls it "Dolby TrueHD"), then that statement would imply that the signal would be passed through.  I know the WDTV Live passes through Dolby Digital 5.1 and Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 tracks because I have directly observed it.  The manual does not mention Dolby TrueHD at all but 3 posters in this thread say they have it working.  I am wondering how they managed to get the WDTV Live to recognize the TrueHD streams as on my WDV Live it only says "UNKNOWN" for the TrueHD streams and won't pass anything to my receiver unless i switch it over to the Dolby Digital Plus track.  Well, I'm assuming it's not passing anything from the UNKNOWN track because there is no sound coming out of the receiver.

The manual for the WDTV Live is fairly comprehensive but when there are statements like the one below included, I don't have a great deal of overall trust in the technical accuracy of the document.

(From the HDMI Video and Audio (High Definition) section)
As an option, for higher quality multi-channel audio:
3. Plug a Toslink (optical) cable into the S/PDIF (optical digital) connector on the media player.

December 04, 2009, 07:18:06 PM
Reply #14

supercell

TrueHD is not the default setting when I start a TrueHD movie.  I have to go into the WDTV menu after the movie starts and switch the audio channel, just like if I were switching to a different language.  I'm not sure why TrueHD wouldn't be the default audio.  If there's a way to change it, I'd love to know.

I'm watching the Matrix right now in TrueHD (the display on the Onkyo 707 says TrueHD) over HDMI 1.3 with the WDTV set to digital out put audio.