Author Topic: WDTV Live woes: or how to get 1080p over COMPONENT  (Read 20193 times)

November 17, 2009, 11:47:45 PM
Reply #15

swartz

Have you tried flashing back to original firmware?

No, but I had two WDTV Live players. One had newer firmware, the other one the original.
So the one with the new firmware (1.01.11) after update is no longer capable of doing 1080p over component via the trick above. Where as the other can still use the trick with stock firmware.

November 18, 2009, 03:32:26 AM
Reply #16

mrbill

No, but I had two WDTV Live players. One had newer firmware, the other one the original.
So the one with the new firmware (1.01.11) after update is no longer capable of doing 1080p over component via the trick above. Where as the other can still use the trick with stock firmware.

Would you try and flash back to the original firmware and see if it once again can play 1080p over component?

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:50:33 AM by mrbill »
Running Win 7 Ultimate 64 and no problems anywhere.

November 18, 2009, 05:46:03 PM
Reply #17

swartz

Would you try and flash back to the original firmware and see if it once again can play 1080p over component?

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Ummm... where can I find the original factory firmware?
WD site only has the latest 1.01.11

November 18, 2009, 06:50:12 PM
Reply #18

mrbill

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks

Ummm... where can I find the original factory firmware?
WD site only has the latest 1.01.11

From b-rad's site.

http://rs161.rapidshare.com/files/293635105/WDTVLIVE_FW_1.01.00.zip

From avs site:

I did it with the original fw from b-rad.cc site. I followed the same procedure as the official wd website update instructions, edited the version number to any number greater than *.11 (*.12 in my case). When done my system was back to *.00.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 01:41:54 AM by mrbill »
Running Win 7 Ultimate 64 and no problems anywhere.

November 19, 2009, 09:43:51 AM
Reply #19

medmike

Swartz,

Just want to plug the HDFury mention by mod.  I use HDFury 2 with my Onkyo HDMI  receiver to get past component "limitations" as it were.  They have pre-order for the new HDFury 3. They are pricy but customer support on the forum section of curtepalme site is 2nd to none.. They are discounting $99 for anyone that sends back their HDFury 2 when they get the HDFury 3.
     I justify the cost b/c it would be alot to upgrade my aging Sony 57 inch crt hdtv, though I'm planning on it soon.
     I haven't upgraded firmware on wdtv live just yet as the current bugs are not too bad for me.  Streaming fine over cat5e/win vista 64.

November 30, 2009, 10:51:02 PM
Reply #20

evilcartman

I am curious, do any other media streamers/players work with you TV? Is you BD player HDMI 1.3 and does your tv suppoirt 1.3?
This may be obvious, but I often find the obvious is overlooked.

Of all the problems I have heard of from the thing, HDMI is not one of them. If WD implemented it to spec, and prima did not. . . It really does sound like the HDMI issue is with the TV. There just may not be a fix for it. Return the thing, no harm no foul. I buy lots of things that just do not work. That's why they invented the return line. A pain no doubt, but a price propeller heads pay. And face it, you do not have something like this if you are not.

I had to try 3 WD HDTVs before I didn't get a flaky video signal. That 3rd one worked great. This new one will play things my $400 Divco cannot touch first time around. If they don't get ISO support soon, I'll get something else.

I get your irratation over the Component thing, but we all have to deal with artificial limitations. Look at how much of Windows development, updates, and harware resource usage is simply devoted to anti piracy. Image if all that effort and CPU cycles simply went into making a better product. Display port, CSS, you cant play your own legal region 2 dvds...  Until people stop buying movies and music until the MPAA/RIAA gets the message to stay out of our living rooms, this will not change.

But don't let all this ruin your fun. Find something that does work and enjoy it.

December 02, 2009, 01:35:04 PM
Reply #21

morpheus

I have had the same problems see my post http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=3106.0

I know it not my TV cause everything connected with the hdmi is fine and the WDTV #1 works via HDMI on the same setting.  Like the original poster have tried everything even changing hdmi cables 3 times.