Author Topic: Root.bins of WDTV FW 1.03.x  (Read 66428 times)

November 13, 2009, 09:35:34 AM
Reply #30

muchacho1

Doesn't work for me either.  My rt73 wi-fi dongle couldn't connect with 1.03 root.bin (changed only one file - root.bin, with previous ver. 1.02.07 works fine). I'm using wireless-mod-rt.app.bin 1.2.4. Seems like the config files wasn't read by wireless-mod-rt.app (dongle's led is flashing in specific way).

November 13, 2009, 12:46:00 PM
Reply #31

apilone

Loaded this new version. I'm facing an issue using SSH Telnet. I'm requested for user (type root)and password (leave empyt).
In previous version this work but now it doesn't work. I receive the message: Access Denied
Just SSH is affected, standard Telnet and FTP work using user root and password empty as login credential.

Do you have the same issue? Someone know the right root password?

November 13, 2009, 12:55:40 PM
Reply #32

dexter

the parameter in sshd_config for allowing emptry root password is:  PermitEmptyPasswords

# To enable empty passwords, change to yes (NOT RECOMMENDED)
PermitEmptyPasswords no

try update the config, it might solve it.

November 13, 2009, 06:43:14 PM
Reply #33

delf

thanx for ur help dexter all is working well now and was wondering if u got lilbabe.osd working oon this fixed version of root.bin

November 14, 2009, 03:18:57 AM
Reply #34

apilone

@dexter
Thanks for the info. I don't know linix, can you just tell me where I can found sshd_config file?

@delf
lilbabe.osd.bin already work with root.bit. I'm curreltly use both. Just rename lilbabe.osd.bin to osd.bin

November 15, 2009, 07:27:08 AM
Reply #35

delf

@dexter
Thanks for the info. I don't know linix, can you just tell me where I can found sshd_config file?

@delf
lilbabe.osd.bin already work with root.bit. I'm curreltly use both. Just rename lilbabe.osd.bin to osd.bin
worked great bro thanx for ur help         osd.bin did the trick  :o

November 19, 2009, 03:01:56 AM
Reply #36

POMAH

This works great, I wish there would be a explanation on how to install it for the newbs like me out there but I found it.
Download the old ext3-boot firmware, and change the root.bin in the old one for the root.bin that is in the beginning of this thread.

I have a question, can I access the drive connected to WDTV, with the root.bin file? I have wireless and nfs working, meaning I can stream movies from my computer to WD, but I want  to be able to access the drive connected to WD so that I can change the root.bin settings, is this even possible, maybe over telnet? And I would like the option to movie files from my computer to the drive connected to WD. Is there also a FTP server in this edition of root.bin? How can I access it?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 03:23:32 AM by POMAH »

November 19, 2009, 07:27:47 AM
Reply #37

Pennhaven

This works great, I wish there would be a explanation on how to install it for the newbs like me out there but I found it.
Download the old ext3-boot firmware, and change the root.bin in the old one for the root.bin that is in the beginning of this thread.

I have a question, can I access the drive connected to WDTV, with the root.bin file? I have wireless and nfs working, meaning I can stream movies from my computer to WD, but I want  to be able to access the drive connected to WD so that I can change the root.bin settings, is this even possible, maybe over telnet? And I would like the option to movie files from my computer to the drive connected to WD. Is there also a FTP server in this edition of root.bin? How can I access it?

You can both telnet and ftp using this firmware. Host name is the IP address (e.g. 192.168.nn.nnn) assigned to your WDTV. Login ID is root. Password is blank. You will be able to edit/replace the configuration files (e.g. net.mounts, net.config).

Custom firmware Wiki
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:49:16 AM by Pennhaven »

November 19, 2009, 03:48:11 PM
Reply #38

delf

was wondering has anyone windows 7 installed hae u encounterd any problems i wanna get me windows 7 ultimate but dont no how good it would work with wdtv

November 19, 2009, 04:37:03 PM
Reply #39

POMAH

You can both telnet and ftp using this firmware. Host name is the IP address (e.g. 192.168.nn.nnn) assigned to your WDTV. Login ID is root. Password is blank. You will be able to edit/replace the configuration files (e.g. net.mounts, net.config).

Custom firmware Wiki

Thank you worked like a charm, I have two new questions, when I have mounted a nfs share called "Dator" I can see this in two places, under USB2 and next to the name of my attacked storage device, and also when I open the attached storage device I can see the mounted NFS share, how come it is in both places, with WDLXTV it was only next to the attacked storage device. Also, each time I choose the "reboot -f" command from telnet, the WD can not boot up, it just shows the WD logo and does not respod to remote control commands, telnet in is not an option either... The only option I have is to reinstall it again. This also happens when I turn off the WD with the remote and disconnect the usb stick, I can not boot up the WD with the usb stick again, it just says no attacked storage device =/

Nvm all of this, apparently root.bin took alot longer time to boot then I thought. So I just had to wait for it to boot up. After a reboot -f command from telnet the NFS folder inside the usb-stick disappeared aswell, so now  everything is just perfect. Thanks for all the help guys!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:04:24 AM by POMAH »

December 07, 2009, 01:04:20 PM
Reply #40

dot

hi there!
before getting a stronger headache trying to find out how to edit xml files in root.bin with my mac, do you think this would be a possible way to upper the subtitles position on the screen when playing a movie? i need this badly... and seeing there are x and x_offset attributes in the subtitle.xml file http://www.regeert.nl/wdtv/doc/osd/subtitle.xml give me high hopes..?
thanks for any help or clue on this

January 08, 2010, 08:30:27 AM
Reply #41

DaSandman

was wondering has anyone windows 7 installed hae u encounterd any problems i wanna get me windows 7 ultimate but dont no how good it would work with wdtv

Works perfect

January 14, 2010, 12:14:32 AM
Reply #42

Jekil

dexter
is there any possibility to make same "ext3-boot-injection" in WDTV Gen2 firmware v1.01.77?

January 14, 2010, 01:18:41 AM
Reply #43

dexter

dexter
is there any possibility to make same "ext3-boot-injection" in WDTV Gen2 firmware v1.01.77?
what is Gen2 ? been a little away , so im not upto date on firmwares...

January 14, 2010, 02:22:40 AM
Reply #44

Jekil

dexter
what is Gen2 ? been a little away , so im not upto date on firmwares...
Gen2 is WDTV 2-nd generation device (WDBABG) on SMP8655. Same as WD TV Live except networking.
Last official firmware for gen2 devices is 1.01.77 (dated 12/2009).
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=1004&lang=en