Author Topic: Root.bins of WDTV FW 1.03.x  (Read 66379 times)

October 24, 2009, 07:36:01 AM
Read 66379 times

dexter

I have updated the 1.03.01 pre-release for use with ext3-boot 0.9.2 firmware...
should include all custom updates from 1.02.10 , but with fixed show of IP address in welcome info and about window from original 0.9.2 ext3-boot.

Only found OsdMod 0.5 incompatible here, rest seems to work fine..
problems seems to be new changes in Osd, so it OsdMod needs an update to work.

v1.03.01 - obsolete

v1.03.01 fix - updated version
 - addded view enhancement (missing from older release) as suggested by Mike2k8 , thanks.
 - added danish language support (only works on standard OSD) (see enclosed readme.txt for info)
 - included rezmus fix for more fontsizes and the polish language add.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 02:26:56 PM by dexter »

October 24, 2009, 10:14:29 AM
Reply #1

sebastiaan15

October 24, 2009, 10:17:11 AM
Reply #2

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

yup, Th@nX dexter, much appreciated indeed.

sebastiaan15  - link works fine, just tried it, downloaded fine for me.
You laugh because I’m different, I laugh because you’re all the same.

namaste

www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=

October 24, 2009, 10:47:48 AM
Reply #3

Pennhaven

October 24, 2009, 10:55:01 AM
Reply #4

sebastiaan15

really great work, runs smooth

but can you make the ->subs font size patch <- in it for bigger subs

that would be nice ;D

October 24, 2009, 11:01:41 AM
Reply #5

mike2k8

Great job, dexter. :)

I have noticed that list view enhancements of original ext3-boot (wider list showing more characters in a line), as well as artwork, are not included in this release. (It looks like the original WD firmware)
For the people who want to keep the look of ext3-boot 0.9.2, you can try to follow these steps.
I'm, assuming that you have installed a working (i.e. you have network access) Zorander's ext3-boot 0.9.2 with updated 1.02.08 root.bin (rezmus).

Plug your usb root device in your PC. Open the drive in explorer, and rename the original root.bin to root.bin.old
Copy the dexter updated root.bin to the drive.

Extract the device and connect it to your wdtv (with the power plug disconnected).
Connect the power plug.

When the boot process is finished (you should be able to see 1.03.01 in the about screen), access to the device with telnet, and execute the following commands:

Code: [Select]
mkdir /tmp/rootbinold
mount -t cramfs -o loop /boot/root.bin.old /tmp/rootbinold
cd /tmp/rootbinold
cd /osd
cp inc_list_browse.xml /osd
cd /image
cp browser_list_btn.long.png /osd/image
cp browser_list_line.png /osd/image
cp welcome_background_bg.jpg /osd/image
cp welcome_logo.png /osd/image

Press the power button on the remote twice to power off and on, and you are done. (You should see the modified background, and in list view you will see longer text lines.)

October 24, 2009, 11:27:07 AM
Reply #6

Fishbowls

Dexter:
awesome work.
thanks a lot
works great
mike2k8 :
thanks for the 'list view enhancements'
correction procedure
end-users wiki http://wdtv.wetpaint.com
Custom Firmware wiki http://wiki.wdtv.org/doku.php
mediainfo http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net
start here http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=1088.msg7613#ms
wdtv+ext3-boot-9.2+sabrent gbit adapter+
rss/weather+disco-webserver. this thing is cool eh.

October 24, 2009, 01:40:30 PM
Reply #7

dexter

I have noticed that list view enhancements of original ext3-boot (wider list showing more characters in a line), as well as artwork, are not included in this release. (It looks like the original WD firmware)

Thanks, i have made an update to it now. with your changes..
except the "cp browser_list_btn.long.png /osd/image"  couldnt locate that i ext3-boot?

October 24, 2009, 03:16:25 PM
Reply #8

mike2k8

Thanks, i have made an update to it now. with your changes..
except the "cp browser_list_btn.long.png /osd/image"  couldnt locate that i ext3-boot?

Please, see this thread
It seems that in the latest ext3-boot by zorander (1.02.07), that image was missing. It was in 1.02.08 updated root.bin by Rezmus, you can also pick one of the two versions posted in that thread.

The image is to highlight the selection in the list view. Since the list is now wider than in the official firmware, the highlight needs to be bigger to cover all the line. If the image is missing, it's difficult to see what it's selected (only the font is a bit higher bigger).

Thanks again for updating this :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 04:01:17 AM by mike2k8 »

October 24, 2009, 03:22:04 PM
Reply #9

Pennhaven

Another thing I noticed is that (at least with your first version) the "reboot" command won't work over telnet, as it did with Zorander's and Rezmus' versions. It would be nice to have this capability back. But even without it, I really appreciate your making this root.bin. With 1.03 all of the music player functions now work as they are supposed to. I spent a lot of time trying to make a root.bin with 1.02.11, but didn't succeed. So I'm glad you stepped up. My WDTV finally does everything I expect it to!

October 24, 2009, 03:25:35 PM
Reply #10

mike2k8

One more thing.
I have discover that my procedure is not good. I have discovered that for some reason (which I don't know, by the way) it is not persistent (if you unplug the device, the modifications are lost).

I have modified it slightly, and this one seems to work well.

Assuming that you have installed a working (i.e. you have network access) Zorander's ext3-boot 0.9.2 with updated 1.02.08 root.bin (rezmus).
Plug your usb root device in your PC.
Rename the dexter updated root.bin to root.bin.new, and copy it to the drive (do not overwrite the existing root.bin).

Extract the device and connect it to your wdtv (with the power plug disconnected).
Connect the power plug.

When the boot process is finished (you still have your old ext3-boot version, nothing has changed at this point), access to the device with telnet, and execute the following commands (make sure the wdtv is switched off with the remote at this point):

Code: [Select]
mkdir /tmp/t1
mount -t cramfs -o loop /boot/root.bin.new /tmp/t1
cd /osd
cp inc_list_browse.xml /tmp/t1/osd
cd image
cp browser_list_btn.long.png /tmp/t1/osd/image
cp browser_list_line.png /tmp/t1/osd/image
cp welcome_background_bg.jpg /tmp/t1/osd/image
cp welcome_logo.png /tmp/t1/osd/image
umount /tmp/t1
cd /tmp
rm -r t1

Unplug the wdtv. Take the usb device and connect to the PC
Rename root.bin to root.bin.old
Rename root.bin.new to root.bin
Extract the usb device, connect to the wdtv and plug it to the mains.

Of course, this is not necessary anymore, since dexter is updating his root.bin, but maybe someone find it useful in the future, who knows?
By the way, if someone figures out why the first procedure doesn´t resist a hard reboot, please comment it , I'd like to know.

October 24, 2009, 03:32:04 PM
Reply #11

mike2k8

Another thing I noticed is that (at least with your first version) the "reboot" command won't work over telnet, as it did with Zorander's and Rezmus' versions. It would be nice to have this capability back. But even without it, I really appreciate your making this root.bin. With 1.03 all of the music player functions now work as they are supposed to. I spent a lot of time trying to make a root.bin with 1.02.11, but didn't succeed. So I'm glad you stepped up. My WDTV finally does everything I expect it to!

Pennhaven,
Have you tried this?
reboot -f
This works for me.

October 24, 2009, 03:48:14 PM
Reply #12

Pennhaven

Pennhaven,
Have you tried this?
reboot -f
This works for me.
No, I hadn't. Thanks! All good now.

October 25, 2009, 10:00:09 AM
Reply #13

mrreload

Could someone share this somewhere besides Rapidshare? It is requiring Premium membership to download:(

October 25, 2009, 10:38:04 AM
Reply #14

Pennhaven

Could someone share this somewhere besides Rapidshare? It is requiring Premium membership to download:(

Suggest you try again later. If you are patient, sooner or later it should be available for free download. Rapidshare may be busier around this time (and day of the week) than it will be later.