Author Topic: WDTV Live Question  (Read 1904 times)

October 22, 2009, 05:47:34 PM
Read 1904 times

Coucher

I've searched around and can't find an answer to this...

Let's say I have a WDTV Live unit, connected to my home network, with a large usb hdd connected to the WDTV Live.  Does the WDTV Live have the ability to allow me to see the hdd connected to it on my network with a pc?

What I envision is having the WDTV connected to my tv with a large capacity usb hdd connected.  I'd like to be able to download/rip content using my desktop pc and then rather than having to physically connect the hdd to my pc to copy the media to it, simply copy it to the hdd via my network.

Yes, I'm aware I could leave the content on the desktop pc and simply share it to the WDTV Live from there, but I'd rather have the media on the hdd connected to the WDTV Live that way if I wanted to grab it and go to a friend/family's house, all my media is there in one place and portable.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

October 22, 2009, 05:54:12 PM
Reply #1

matt314159

You're good to go if that's what you want to do.  the WDTV live shares the external hard drive onto the network so you can copy files right onto it. 

Just keep in mind if you do HD stuff it will take a LONG time to transfer over.  For that reason I chose to keep my external hard drives connected to my computer and stream to the media player as-needed.  Saves me a lot of time copying files over wireless.  But it can most certainly do what you're looking for in that regard if you want to copy files to it through the network.

October 22, 2009, 05:58:38 PM
Reply #2

Coucher

Matt,

Thanks for the quick response.  Yeah, I'm aware of the negatives about that scenario.  My current setup is a notebook connected to the tv via DVI with a large usb hdd connected to it.  I just copy files to the usb hdd (shared via the notebook) and then play them using the notebook.  So essentially I'd just be replacing the notebook in my setup with the WDTV Live gaining some additional features and making for a cleaner setup.

Thanks!

October 22, 2009, 06:28:16 PM
Reply #3

everri

Hey Coucher,
I have an elements external driver 1.5tb connected to my WDTV Live. I just transfered wirelessly a 7.3 GB movie from my laptop to it. It was fast I think, took me less than 30 min.
Detail: The box was playing an HD movie while this transfer was being performed and I had no problem at all.
I'm in love with this Live box :)
Like you I want all my media on my external driver so whenever I wanna take it with me it will be much easier.