Author Topic: Universal Remote Control  (Read 5949 times)

October 22, 2009, 05:24:54 AM
Read 5949 times

KinisonKhan

On my original Xbox running XBMC, Microsoft used RCA codes for their DVD remote.  So I looked through the remote manual, found an RCA DVR code, program it in as a DVR and presto, one less remote on my coffee table. 

What brand of code will this WDTV use?

October 23, 2009, 07:05:09 AM
Reply #1

clinthicum

• Personal Text
    AV Designer & Installer
    • HiTech Upgrades, LLC.
The WDTV remote uses std IR codes....not sure if their codes mimic that of another universal remote or not.  Just use a Logitech Harmony One or Nevo C3 remote to simplify operation and consolidate your remote.

I've got a button on my remote for "Media Vault" which pulls up the WD TV box on the plasma. My kids can then select and watch any movie they want and never get their grubby hands on the disk itself. Yahoo !
Chris Linthicum
HiTech Upgrades, LLC

October 23, 2009, 03:26:52 PM
Reply #2

KinisonKhan

STD IR Codes?  I dont think ive ever heard of that brand of remote.  I'll have to look through the manual, but I can tell you this, no way will I be buying a 100$ logitech remote control.

October 23, 2009, 03:34:18 PM
Reply #3

matt314159

STD = Standard. 

October 23, 2009, 05:58:20 PM
Reply #4

KinisonKhan

I see neither STD or Standard among the very long list of codes that can be used on my RCA Universal remote.  Are you sure the WDTV Live employs 'Standard' IR codes?

My remote is a 'RCR612' and looks like this.

Its cheap and handles basically everything.

October 24, 2009, 01:20:47 AM
Reply #5

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I think clinthicum  means standard IR codes as opposed to RF codes which some players (the Sony PS3 for instance) use exclusively.  There are a lot of cheap learning remotes out there and I think that is what you need.  Not pre programmed codes.  Get something that can learn the codes one a t a time from your remote.
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.