Author Topic: What do I need for wireless?  (Read 2406 times)

October 21, 2009, 09:12:13 PM
Read 2406 times

kstepan50

I am trying to figure out if WDTV Live will work for me.  I have to go wireless since I don't want to go drilling into the walls and such, but I might have to if wireless doesn't work.

Anyways, I have a Linksys wireless-G router.  What more do I need for wireless besides a USB Wireless adapter?  Also, what is a good adapter to complinebt the router?  I have win XP Pro Media edition.  I have never setup a network so.. any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

October 21, 2009, 09:52:42 PM
Reply #1

matt314159

Your network requirements will depend on what you plan on using your WDTV for. 

Plan to play HD content off your computer through network shares?  802.11G might not cut it.  When I was using my G router, I could stream 720p TV shows, but not 720p movies (higher bitrate).  1080p was completely out of the question. 

If you plan on doing HD, I strongly recommend you upgrade your router to an "N" router. 

What I did was bought two WNR834B's for under $60 shipped (for both), and configured one as a router and one as what's called a "client bridge". 

Read more about it here:  http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=2411.0

Thusfar it seems to be working well, I played a full 1080p movie last night over wireless.  Generally I only use 720p since I only see a very marginal improvement in image quality on my 42" tv from across the room. The price was right, I thought.

October 22, 2009, 05:56:44 AM
Reply #2

kstepan50

Well I started with just wanting to transfer files from my computer to a HDD connected to the WDTV.  But I figure I can do that by walking my HDD to the computer and doing it that way.  THe more I read, the more I want to stream from the computer so I am calling my cousin (his guys did my fireplace where the cat5 cable would have to run behind) to see how hard it would be to run it from the office to the TV.  Thanks for the info.

October 22, 2009, 06:16:54 AM
Reply #3

dslfanboy

If you do run cable go with CAT5e, as CAT5 won't give you gigabit ethernet if you ever need it. Same price usually, and it gives you more room to grow even though WDTV doesn't have gigabit ethernet itself.

October 22, 2009, 08:17:05 AM
Reply #4

matt314159

Yeah definitely future-proof it if you go to the trouble of running cable.   But you might not need to, considering wireless setups with pretty decent speeds can be done for under $60, and it would surely cost much more than that to fish cable.