Author Topic: New WDTV Software Update 1.03.01 Discussion Thread  (Read 89152 times)

October 30, 2009, 07:28:18 AM
Reply #30

Pennhaven

I've yet to check out what you are saying here, but one wonders if you have all your albums in separate folders? If not, then I recommend you do so, and then make any playlists to cater for your needs...

Yes I have my albums organized in separate folders. The problem I am referring to has nothing to do with that anyway, or with playlists. The issue is quite simple and relates to id3 tags, not how the tracks are organized on the hard drive. WD's firmware is simply ignoring the disk tag for multi-disk albums.

October 31, 2009, 10:37:40 AM
Reply #31

Saint59

I've yet to check out what you are saying here, but one wonders if you have all your albums in separate folders? If not, then I recommend you do so, and then make any playlists to cater for your needs...

Yes I have my albums organized in separate folders. The problem I am referring to has nothing to do with that anyway, or with playlists. The issue is quite simple and relates to id3 tags, not how the tracks are organized on the hard drive. WD's firmware is simply ignoring the disk tag for multi-disk albums.
Sorry, I misread that! That feature is a more recent ID3 tag I believe?
I personally end my Multi-Disc album names with a number (i.e. The Anthology - CD1), and alter the track numbering to continue consecutively (i.e. CD2's first track is numbered 13 or somesuch). I've not used the tag you mention, because many programs have an issue with it. I try to stay clear of many of the new tags, for backwards compatibility. I also lump all the multi-disc tracks in the same folder (Album folder name having any disc number removed), and have playlists to represent combined and separate discs. But then, I'm not overly concerned about differentiating tracks by a disc and track number like Disc 2 Track 1 ... Track 13 is good enough for me, as I just care that they play in order or I can use random play easily. Likewise, I never designate a track - 1 of 12, 2 of 12, 3 of 12, etc (another tag that many programs don't understand). I also make sure that both ID3 v1 & v2 exist for all my tracks, using the fantastic freeware program Tagscanner, which I have been using for a number of years now.

October 31, 2009, 05:55:40 PM
Reply #32

srmisterio

I still have the same problem when playing Bleach Japanese cartoons from dattebayo. when the file is running in some point the image will start over but the audio is in normal position. This thing has happen in some episode not on all.

November 01, 2009, 10:24:24 PM
Reply #33

andy1911

the MKV audio sync issues i was having in the past which the 1.02.11 release fixed are back with this release.

November 03, 2009, 12:32:03 AM
Reply #34

kn101

Yay for the video playlists. Works like a charm.

However, .avi files that worked with the original firmware no longer work. Grrr...

November 03, 2009, 03:58:36 AM
Reply #35

SamNC

The interface still freezes after playback of some wmv's - like a garbage collection which gets stuck...
@Whoheart,
Which version let you played wmv? Thanks.

November 03, 2009, 08:06:23 AM
Reply #36

Saint59

The interface still freezes after playback of some wmv's - like a garbage collection which gets stuck...
@Whoheart,
Which version let you played wmv? Thanks.
In my experience, like .mov files, some work and some don't.
Not all same extension files are the same, they have varying codec components. The extension indicates the type of container, but not necessarily the codec (video or audio). Try MPEG Streamclip to change the codecs around ... and you'll see what I mean.

November 05, 2009, 06:12:42 AM
Reply #37

pingpong

I still have the same problem when playing Bleach Japanese cartoons from dattebayo. when the file is running in some point the image will start over but the audio is in normal position. This thing has happen in some episode not on all.

someone already identified that as a problem with the file and not WDTV.  Try re-indexing with a program like virtualdub.

good luck

November 07, 2009, 03:22:58 PM
Reply #38

Rusky_G

Hi all

Just signed up to the forum today

In my 10 months ownership of WDTV, .MKV lip sync has been my gripe

After a few people reported the problem being resolved via Toslink to a DTS receiver [rather than audio over HDMI]- I took the plunge and bought a receiver so now I run Picture over HDMI to HDTV and Audio over Toslink to Sony DTS Receiver.

I've found 1.02.03 FW to be the most stable but still get the odd file which is slightly out of sync [example: Sequel.To.A.Film.About.Museums.1080p.DTS.x264-DON]

1.03.01 installed and its still the same, just a fraction out of sync....

What's other people's findings?

November 07, 2009, 06:23:44 PM
Reply #39

~ kyogoku ~

• Personal Text
    ♫..♪♫ One more time, One more chance ♪♫..♪
Found another improvement on this update. My soft sub avi subtitle problem is gone. Thx WD. I hope ogm video support will be available at the next update.

November 07, 2009, 07:15:26 PM
Reply #40

wiiBox

Hi kyogoku,

I'm curious, can you expand on your problem and consequent fix prior to and including this firmware, respectively speaking.

Thanks!

November 08, 2009, 02:52:27 PM
Reply #41

~ kyogoku ~

• Personal Text
After posting on Bug Reports section here: http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=1616.0 I was able to solve it using avimuxgui(as suggested) to extracted all the subs.

But avimuxgui didnt support queue job and I have like 200+ similar avi files so until now, I'm still in searching for "queue job support" subs extractor progam. But suprisingly, this update fix my problem and the sub on those avi is displayed just fine. =)

November 08, 2009, 04:17:04 PM
Reply #42

wiiBox

Oh, I see.  But now it sounds like your problem is not fixed at all.  You are being forced to extract the subs for playback.
On your previous post you mention it was fixed.  I'm still a bit confused about what you mean by this update fixing your problem.

I was unsure what you meant before because as bobosquishy pointed out on that thread, avi container is not spec'd to support subs by default like mkv container, for example.  It sounds like you have/had two problems.  One was that subs inside the avi were not being displayed and two, the subs that were displayed were not displayed properly.  Am I correct?

I'm guessing your files are anime fansubs and although I'm not terribly familiar with these, I'll suggest you look at sites like www.opensubtitles.org and the like to find their corresponding external subs.  It's worth a shot that may save you some time and leave your original files... well, original.  There may even be dedicated anime sub sites somewhere out there.

Thanks for the update and do let us know how you make out.   :)

November 08, 2009, 07:26:59 PM
Reply #43

~ kyogoku ~

• Personal Text
Oh, I see.  But now it sounds like your problem is not fixed at all.  You are being forced to extract the subs for playback.
On your previous post you mention it was fixed.  I'm still a bit confused about what you mean by this update fixing your problem.
in the bug fixed section. yes, its not fixed at all and I'm forced to extract all the subs fo playback. and when I tried this firmware, my problem is fixed. (please noted that the problem occur on 1.02.10 fw)

I was unsure what you meant before because as bobosquishy pointed out on that thread, avi container is not spec'd to support subs by default like mkv container, for example.  It sounds like you have/had two problems.  One was that subs inside the avi were not being displayed and two, the subs that were displayed were not displayed properly.  Am I correct?
like I said on the bug post, I never know until then that avi file can be a softsub. I'm also surprised to know that there's an avi container that can contain sub (but not hardsub). I already post the media info maybe you can analyze more from that info.
The problem on WDTV is that the subs were not being displayed at all. but when I play them on PC, they were displayed perfectly fine.

I'm guessing your files are anime fansubs and although I'm not terribly familiar with these, I'll suggest you look at sites like www.opensubtitles.org and the like to find their corresponding external subs.  It's worth a shot that may save you some time and leave your original files... well, original.  There may even be dedicated anime sub sites somewhere out there.
Yes, its an anime fansub, and I would love to keep the original file. thanks to this update, for the avi file I need not convert them anymore but for the .OGM I still need to convert them to .MKV. :)

Thanks for the update and do let us know how you make out.   :)
for now, I still have to convert all the .OGM to .MKV since up to this pont WDTV doesn't support .OGM container.

November 08, 2009, 09:03:14 PM
Reply #44

wiiBox

I understand now.  Softsubs are supported in avi container in the new firmware.  Good to know.

I don't recall any other player that supports OGM at this stage.

Anyway, thanks for your patients and willingness to explain.

Cheers!   :)