Author Topic: New WDTV Software Update 1.03.01 Discussion Thread  (Read 89020 times)

October 23, 2009, 02:46:30 PM
Reply #15

Whoheart

Does this include the DVD Menu Support?

It generally includes what they say it includes. So no.

I'm hearing they won't add it because it would incur a licensing fee to the DVD group.  But if it was in a pre-release and not in the official verion.... hmmm

That sounds sick and greedy - but hey that's copyright so perhaps it would require licensing.

I thought menus were mentioned on wdtv.uservoice.com - but i can't find them, perhaps it was removed.

Of course wdtv.uservoice.com is of little value, after i noticed someone asked for realmedia, and they flag it as "solved"because they made a NEW player which supports realmedia.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 04:11:19 PM by Whoheart »
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

October 24, 2009, 03:38:02 PM
Reply #16

Pennhaven

Hey, at least for those of us using the WDTV for music, this firmware finally comes through with the overdue fixes we've been pleading for.

Now all of the music player dis-functions have been addressed.
  • Playlists play in order
The media library finally indexes music the way it should:
  • Albums play tracks in track order
  • Artist View displays Albums instead of tracks
  • Genre View displays Artists / Albums instead of tracks

At last, at last, it's fixed at last!

October 24, 2009, 07:24:56 PM
Reply #17

Whoheart

[/list]

So do they for video.
    If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

October 24, 2009, 09:57:35 PM
    Reply #18

Saint59

Hey, at least for those of us using the WDTV for music, this firmware finally comes through with the overdue fixes we've been pleading for.

• Artist View displays Albums instead of tracks
    • Genre View displays Artists / Albums instead of tracks

This is great news for all of us music lovers, but we still need all the views to display TRACK TITLE instead of filename ... many of us savvy PC users use shortened filenames (and in my case, abbreviations derived using a formula), because it prevents some memory issues ... especially for really long track names.

The memory issue may not be particularly relevant to the WD TV, but many of us have been storing our files with short names for years, because that issue was very much an issue in the not so distant past ... and it's not realistic by WD to expect us to rename what could be several thousands of files in many cases ... not to mention then having duplicate backups of them. I view the HDD I use for the WD TV as one of my backups ... in fact, all my other backups (except iPod) are on permanent discs (i.e. CD or DVD), which cannot be renamed. The iPod and many other players, I note, also use an abbreviated short filename. I note that some WD TV owners connect their iPod to it, so I imagine that they have this TRACK TITLE issue big time. Anyway, why should any of us have to rename our files, when the TRACK TITLE already exists in the ID3 tag info, which we know the WD TV is capable of reading (because it does it for Artist, Album, etc and even Track Title on occasion). Every other player on the market these days (and for some time), uses and displays the ID3 info ... except maybe a few dodgy cheapo ones.

The one view where the use of filenames could be as is and preferred, would be the Folder views.

I find it strange, that properly formatted playlist files (.m3u), which list the track name as well as the filename, are not being utilized to display the track name when you are browsing the playlist ... though reading it from the ID3 tags would probably be better. It is also weird, that the filename appears in the PLAYING NOW screen, while all the other data displayed there, is from ID3 tag info (Artist, Album, etc) ... why not show the ID3 tag info for TRACK TITLE there too?

I do note, that the TRACK TITLE does display in the PLAYING NOW, if you started playing your selection in the Artist -> Album -> Track view listing. It also sometimes displays in the small truncated view (top of screen) you get while browsing other list views (provided a track is currently playing). It is such a shame, that the truncated view is not wider (full screen width would be excellent), as you only get about five characters for artist name (track title is a bit longer, but should be a lot longer too), which continually scrolls because of that. We must also mention, that the font size (and maybe font type), look like crap on my very large analogue TV ... even hard to read in many cases ... probably because the font is too thin &/or maybe the color.

It would also be really nice, if the ID3 tag info for YEAR was also displayed in the PLAYING NOW screen ... I'm sure that many like myself, consider that far more important than GENRE for instance. It is amazing how over the years, many companies have forgotten about YEAR, even Microsoft used to be guilty of that stupid omission.
    « Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 10:24:03 PM by Saint59 »

October 25, 2009, 09:12:09 AM
    Reply #19

Pennhaven

Excellent points from Saint59. I agree with them all. There is still plenty of opportunity to improve the music player track management.

While I am glad that WD has made the progress they have in addressing the shortcomings I mentioned above, I have to wonder whether the WDTV development team members even use iPod's or other well designed music players, that all this sort of functional design logic has been overlooked from the beginning. ???

October 27, 2009, 06:16:49 PM
    Reply #20

~¤ kyogoku ¤~

• Personal Text
      ♫..♪♫ One more time, One more chance ♪♫..♪
    There's no major improvement I could use but two thumbs up for the speed.
    I hope this "speed minor update" will continue to exist and finally include the major improvement. :)

nb: I'm still waiting for the "DTS to Stereo downmix" feature :P

October 28, 2009, 04:12:10 AM
    Reply #21

Saint59

I'm still waiting for the "DTS to Stereo downmix" feature :P

Don't hold your breath waiting for new features, though Movie Playlists was a nice surprise ... I wonder if Photo Playlists are also now supported.

In case you are wondering, it would be cool to reference individual files in various folders for a slideshow. That means you could still keep your photos organized by date, but have playlists for things like your pets or a family member or friend or sport, etc etc.

However, as much as I would love that feature, and as easy as it would be for the tech to implement it (if not already), I would much rather they fix ongoing issues ... especially the Audio ones, like TRACK NAME.

By the way, while on the topic of TRACK NAME, I discovered that after updating the firmware to latest, I had to set the trackname option back to filename temporarily (see Settings), and then back to display track name, for it to work in the few places it does (i.e. Artist view) ... at first, I thought the latest update had broken that feature again.

For those who have read my post on the now closed topic, which points you to this one, I was emailed a solution for the progress bar issue, which works fine - including with a playlist, which is the ultimate fix ... barring WD using commonsense and getting rid of the unwanted progress bar display when not rewinding or fast forwarding. I note with additional angst, that it also displays for photos (Heaven's know why), and is especially irritating at the start of slideshows, as the first photo or two is partially obscured every time, no matter what. Of course you could add a couple of dummy pics (or repeated ones), but how stupid would it be to have to do that for every folder.

Here's the fix for the movie scenario (as provided by rockytop) -
    Here is the workaround that I use:
    Find a short video, and rename it so that it is alphabeticaly before the movie you want to burn. Place it in the same folder as the movie that you want to burn.
    Start the short vid (by pressing play, not enter), and as soon as that video reaches the end, start your dvd recorder.
    Hope this helps.
    You can also use this method via a playlist, which means you only need one dummy file to start with, but a playlist for each folder or item you wish to record. By the way, I recorded the whole thing and just edited the dummy movie bit off the start.

@jayallan - I think it is about time, that a "Tips & Tricks" sticky post was started, as we are getting a few now ... and probably more I don't know about.
    « Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 04:24:20 AM by Saint59 »

October 28, 2009, 09:44:52 AM
    Reply #22

Pennhaven

Well upon further assessment it actually isn't fixed.  ::) Album tracks do play in order, except when they don't, which is with multi-disk albums.  :(

Multi-disk album tracks should play in the logical order of disk 1 - track 1, disk 1 - track 2, disk 1 - track 3 ..., disk 2 - track 1, disk 2 - track 2... That is play all of disk 1 in track order, then disk 2, etc.

Instead the disk number tag is being ignored. All track "1"s from all disks play before all track "2"s, etc.

Will also post this as a bug.

Come on WD. Get with the program. We're tired of being an unpaid testers after all these months.[/list]
    « Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 11:02:50 AM by Pennhaven »

October 28, 2009, 10:52:04 AM
    Reply #23

deadletter

Just updated to this latest beta and ran some tests on my MKV movie collection. On 1.02.11 MKV audio sync issue seemed to be solved. At least all of my MKVs played fine. (Well, some slight stutter was still there but no sync issues.) Now on this 1.03.01 the sync problems are back although videos play smoothly. Don't really know that to think. I guess it's an impossible combination for this device to have both, smooth AND audio-in-sync playback.

October 28, 2009, 01:40:26 PM
    Reply #24

HeadHunterŠ

Firmware 1.02.07 worked fine , after updating to 1.02.11 and now to 1.03.01 all my Divx , mp4 , mkv have audio delay. Delay is about +0,4 second , isnt much but is noticeable and is getting on my nerves. With 1.02.07 was fine , what the hell is going on ?

October 28, 2009, 05:54:40 PM
    Reply #25

~¤ kyogoku ¤~

• Personal Text
      ♫..♪♫ One more time, One more chance ♪♫..♪
    Oh one more, please improve subtitle handling also. More options like biger size, change colour, border and shadow, and positioning would be great. And don't forget the inability to show 2 subtitle at the same time should be fix right away. Thx =)

October 28, 2009, 10:20:25 PM
    Reply #26

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo

@jayallan - I think it is about time, that a "Tips & Tricks" sticky post was started, as we are getting a few now ... and probably more I don't know about.

Start a new thread specific to the WDTV and add a few tips/tricks.  I will sticky it.
    WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

October 29, 2009, 05:25:08 AM
    Reply #27

juantxorena

I will be curious to see how the MKV lip sync works now. 
    I have found that most of the times the lip sync troubles come from the mkv merger, not from the player. That, or every single player I have tried is broken (wdtv, mplayer, xine, gstreamer-based, vlc, ffmpeg's ffplay...).

October 29, 2009, 12:18:03 PM
    Reply #28

wiiBox

I will be curious to see how the MKV lip sync works now. 
    I have found that most of the times the lip sync troubles come from the mkv merger, not from the player. That, or every single player I have tried is broken (wdtv, mplayer, xine, gstreamer-based, vlc, ffmpeg's ffplay...).

I hope you guys with sync problems are not inadvertently blaming the players for what could be a tv/amp processing delay... because I couldn't live with the embarrassment if I were you.  lol   :P

I've never had such delays, but it's been known to happen.

October 29, 2009, 07:08:38 PM
    Reply #29

Saint59

Start a new thread specific to the WDTV and add a few tips/tricks.  I will sticky it.
    No worries, when I get the chance, I'll make a start!

Well upon further assessment it actually isn't fixed.  ::) Album tracks do play in order, except when they don't, which is with multi-disk albums.  :(

Multi-disk album tracks should play in the logical order of disk 1 - track 1, disk 1 - track 2, disk 1 - track 3 ..., disk 2 - track 1, disk 2 - track 2... That is play all of disk 1 in track order, then disk 2, etc.

Instead the disk number tag is being ignored. All track "1"s from all disks play before all track "2"s, etc.

Will also post this as a bug.

Come on WD. Get with the program. We're tired of being an unpaid testers after all these months.
    I've yet to check out what you are saying here, but one wonders if you have all your albums in separate folders? If not, then I recommend you do so, and then make any playlists to cater for your needs.

In my experience, if you have all your tracks from different albums lumped into the same folder, then it requires more complex programming to deal with that ... the WD Tech/s seem to have enough trouble doing the more important fixes, so I wouldn't hold your breath about this one.

There are many advantages to using folder hierarchy of Artist->Album->Track so check it out if you haven't already. In the Audio sub-forum http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=87.msg15877#msg15877, I describe how to create various types of playlists if you need help there. I'm not sure about what random play options are available on the WDTV, haven't used any yet, but in previous experience with other players, they tend to work with playlists too.

Because I use abbreviated names for my tracks, based on my own formula, each track filename ends in a number, etc. Using a similar method, might resolve some of your issues.

My Formula
    The filenames I use, follow the old DOS convention of 8.3 (8 characters plus the extension).
    The first 3 characters represent the artist name (either every first capital &/or following digits). Here are some examples -
    Eagles = Eag
    Cold Chisel = CCh
    Atlanta Rhythm Section = ARS
    The next 3 characters represent the album title (same rules, except that some words like 'The' are skipped when possible). Examples -
    The Very Best Of = VBO
    The Greatest = TGr
    Greatest Hits = GHi
    The last 2 characters are for the track number (from 00 to 99). I don't know of any album with more than 99 tracks, plus I use a leading zero for the first 9 tracks.
    If either the artist name or album title is less than 3 characters, I pad with underslashes (i.e. VAr66_01.mp3 or ME_Stu01.mp3).

So for for an album by Cold Chisel called Greatest Hits, the 14 tracks would be -
    CChGHi01.mp3
    CChGHi02.mp3
    CChGHi03.mp3
    CChGHi04.mp3
    CChGHi013.mp3
    CChGHi014.mp3

This means that all albums & tracks sort correctly, even if all in the same folder.

Obviously in this scenario, I myself rely on the ID3 tags for track details, though the folder names provide Artist & Album names.

I've made a program that does these abbreviations for me, and clashes are pretty rare, but can be manually catered for.
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 08:03:46 PM by Saint59 »