Author Topic: Networking Newbie Question  (Read 2079 times)

October 21, 2009, 02:46:17 PM
Read 2079 times

sweetvn

I have been reading about all this networking stuff.  I am currently using Window Vista and all I do is select the folder I want to share and right click and set it as a shared folder and everyone on the network can see it.  What kind of sharing is that? Is that any different from Samba, SMB, NSF, etc.....

Can someone give me a brief explanation in a very newbie language the different type of network sharing and the different in speed each one has?  I really appreciate very much :=)

October 21, 2009, 02:58:46 PM
Reply #1

matt314159

I'll take a stab at it.   Standard windows sharing, to my knowledge (and somebody PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) is what most people are referring to as SMB shares, which is also now known as CIFS shares.   

Then there is NFS which is a linux/unix type file sharing system, but from some reading, windows can run that protocol as well, and it's noticeably more efficient (whatever that means in real life, I'm not sure)

From one newbie to another, welcome!

October 22, 2009, 02:23:36 AM
Reply #2

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
^ Correct, although CIFS was the original name which I believe MS have dropped. SMB is actually the name of the protocol itself.  SMB and Samba are often interchanged - they are two different things but they are both used for the same purpose - from a very simplistic point of view SMB is Windows whereas Samba is Unix/Linux - but for newbie purposes you can think of them as the same thing.

In the (usual) order of performance (slowest to fastest):
- SMB
- UPnP
- NFS

As ever, YMMV.

p.s. by default Windows cannot access an NFS server, but there are a couple of NFS clients available.  In the real world it's unlikely that most consumers would ever need to do this.
Gen1, ext3-boot, Belkin AX88178 Gigabit adapter, Synology DS109 NAS

How-to setup WD TV with NFS shares