Author Topic: Beginners Guide Needed  (Read 7248 times)

October 21, 2009, 09:02:07 AM
Read 7248 times

ahc11

All-
This is my first post here and like many of you, this is my intro to the WDTV family.
I just received my Live 30 minutes ago from Bestbuy and it is still sitting in the box.

Between this forum, AVSForum's many threads, the WDTV Wiki on WetPaint and B-Rad's unboxing and subsequent work, there are so many sources with so many posts it is hard to keep straight and figure out where to begin...

I come from using a HTPC and having the flexibility to use Boxee/Hulu (basically many content sources), and want to make sure that I am not missing anything once i transition to the WDTV.

I was wondering if there is a beginners guide anywhere that lets people like me know where to begin, what the homebrew really offers (in layman terms) and how i can optimize my experience.

If anyone has any guidance, please post it here, or point me to the right direction.
I apologize if this has been answered before, but as mentioned above, there is so much out there that I may have missed it.

Thanks in advance.
AHC11
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 04:54:02 PM by jayallan »

October 21, 2009, 10:17:00 AM
Reply #1

moshaheen

Thanks for that Post, Definitely would need a beginners guide too

October 22, 2009, 03:37:43 AM
Reply #2

abellad

I'm in the same boat..still no guide has appeared. This would be most useful.

October 22, 2009, 06:27:34 AM
Reply #3

cheebster

Ok here's a quick guide on how to install b-rad's firmware (still in early devellopement)

1 - Download the latest release of b-rad's WDXLTV Live;

2 - Extract the zip file's contents into any usb stick's (some models/brands may not work..) root , read the readme for added features from stock firmware (notepad2 can help view the text formatting properly)

3 - Plug the usb stick into the WDTV, you will see NEW FIRMWARE FOUND on the main menu appear automagically. Select it, and upgrade.

That's it for the hacked firmware part, i can't really speak about streaming from boxee/hulu though. Maybe someone else can post about it !

October 22, 2009, 06:38:51 AM
Reply #4

moshaheen

Thanks for quick guide.. I've tried this yesterday and nothing happened. downloaded the latest firmware, it was a zip file of 3 files
wdtvlive.bin
wdtvlive.fff
wdtvlive.ver

No read me files were there.

Added these files to my USB and connected it to the WD TV Live and restarted it. nothing happened. same screen

Also when I update the fireware with the Custom one, will I be able to revert it back to the original. How to do that too ?

Please provide us with more detailed Beginners Guide (with links and everything)

October 22, 2009, 09:04:49 AM
Reply #5

ahc11

Also if someone could give us an idea of the benefits of using this new firmware... what will it allow us to do differently?

You guys are all awesome!

October 22, 2009, 06:18:29 PM
Reply #6

everri

I would definitely appreciate some good samaritan to have mercy on us non-technical whatsoever users.
I just bought the new WDTV Live and I'd like to understand if I should use b-rad's firmware and what it changes, etc, etc, so yes a B-rad's firmware guide for dummies would be awesome  ;D

October 28, 2009, 11:08:38 AM
Reply #7

gary

Add me to the list of users who need some guidance.  Coming from XBMC on an original modded xbox, this is a new ballgame.
I too have tried the "copy the files to a thumb drive" thing and no-go.  I am thinking the drive needs to be ext3 format maybe?

October 29, 2009, 05:56:53 AM
Reply #8

Ant1037

I'm very non technical but what I did was.

Download latest firmware (1.7) which is the flash version.
Extracted the files to the root of the drive. (When I extracted them to the drive it created a folder with the files in it so I manually cut and pasted them to the root of the drive), so when I open my usb thumbdrive i see the files and no folders.

Plug into the WD and start the box. It said it had found a new firmware and would I like to install it. I said yes. It said ok. I went woohoo.

Hope this helps

October 30, 2009, 06:10:37 AM
Reply #9

nbaxley

This is a good start, but I think what would be really nice is a list of things that b-rad's firmware can do that can't be done with the standard one.  And not just "you can telnet to the box".  What end user functionality is added by using this firmware?  I understand it's still early, but I need to know what reason there is to try it.  Thanks!

October 30, 2009, 06:35:22 AM
Reply #10

Ant1037

The other thing I found was that navigation through the menus is much smoother with the b-rad firmware.
I now have a custom background on the WD which has my own design and text on it. I also have my own srcreen saver too. I know this is not very technical but I'm learning more as I go along. 

October 30, 2009, 12:44:04 PM
Reply #11

gary

OK, that is exactly what I have done multiple times.  I am starting to think it may be the thumb drive I am using.  Will try another and see what happens

October 30, 2009, 01:16:44 PM
Reply #12

Ant1037

Gary,

Are you unplugging (power cycling) the unit before to try to upgrade? You could try and put a couple of files (jpegs mp3s) on your thumbdrive to see if the box sees them..

November 02, 2009, 02:25:19 PM
Reply #13

1080p

@moshaheen:

it seems you didnt get the right firmware ... it seems you've got the original one, he, he .. therefore you were not able to flash the unit. Make sure you get b-rads firmware WDLXTV_LIVE-0.1.7 (or the latest) from here: http://b-rad.cc/1000/wdtv-live-homebrew-firmware-development

this is the content of the zip file:
Changelog
net.mounts
README
S00custom-options
screen_saver.png
villa_bg.jpg
wdtvlive.bin
wdtvlive.ver

November 05, 2009, 02:12:43 PM
Reply #14

gary

DOH!
You are right, I was using the "official" version, which I got from a B-RAD link.  He was providing it for people to use if they wanted to go back to the original version, and I did not read carefully.  Thanks for the heads up.  Downloading v1.7 now