Author Topic: Deal on Compatible USB Wireless Adapters for WD TV Live  (Read 5153 times)

October 23, 2009, 03:37:36 PM
Reply #15

matt314159

Just for kicks I popped open my adapter and took photos of the front and back.   

Download Full Res

Download Full Res

I have no idea what chipset that is but I like taking stuff apart and taking pictures :)

What stinks is that places like newegg don't guarantee any particular version number. 

October 23, 2009, 03:42:05 PM
Reply #16

matt314159

The setup I'm back to using ws what I started with, and what has so far provided the fastest throughput and highest reliability, my two Netgear WNR834B N routers.  One is in router mode, the other is a client bridge that I plug into the live's ethernet port.  I can sustain transfer speeds of 60+mbps over wireless that way.  Very pleasing since the routers were less than $30 each shipped, and they can be loaded with DD-WRT.  Way easier than pulling cable!  Though if you're so inclined, cable is the BEST way of all.

October 24, 2009, 04:12:30 AM
Reply #17

dslfanboy

To learn about any wireless chipset in any electronic device, go here and enter the FCCID in the first two boxes.
https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm?calledFromFrame=N
For some reason the sites security code will come up as untrusted, but it is an FCC website that has granted all the licenses for said product after it has been tested. Includes pictures inside the devices usually too.

October 24, 2009, 06:25:27 AM
Reply #18

HTown

My version is 3100.  Works great.  I'm using a ATT Uverse router and it's a G router and it's picks it up fine.

October 24, 2009, 06:26:34 AM
Reply #19

HTown

October 24, 2009, 09:38:20 AM
Reply #20

Headcase_Fargone

The setup I'm back to using ws what I started with, and what has so far provided the fastest throughput and highest reliability, my two Netgear WNR834B N routers.  One is in router mode, the other is a client bridge that I plug into the live's ethernet port.  I can sustain transfer speeds of 60+mbps over wireless that way.  Very pleasing since the routers were less than $30 each shipped, and they can be loaded with DD-WRT.  Way easier than pulling cable!  Though if you're so inclined, cable is the BEST way of all.

In hindsight this would have been the way to go.  It also would have only cost a few dollars more than buying the router and DWA-140 USB NIC that I got with it.  I also wouldn't have had to set up a second (802.11g) router so that my Roku Netflix box wouldn't interfere with the signal.

October 24, 2009, 06:27:34 PM
Reply #21

partake

I bought the refurb Lynksys WUSB600N from buy.com and it's working fine with the Uverse router.  I plan to get an N router to stream HD video.

October 25, 2009, 11:40:43 AM
Reply #22

tivodoctor

You guys had me worried about the Belkin wireless adapter I bought from NewEgg, so I tried mine.  It seems to work fine.  I had to plug the Belkin adapter in and then unplug the WDTV Live power.  When I plugged the WDTV in, it worked fine.  I used the rear USB port for the Belkin adapter.

I hope this helps.

October 25, 2009, 11:44:13 AM
Reply #23

matt314159

You guys had me worried about the Belkin wireless adapter I bought from NewEgg, so I tried mine.  It seems to work fine.  I had to plug the Belkin adapter in and then unplug the WDTV Live power.  When I plugged the WDTV in, it worked fine.  I used the rear USB port for the Belkin adapter.

I hope this helps.
what hardware version is your belkin?  I tried everything, including power-cycling with the unit plugged directly into the box (no cradle)...

October 25, 2009, 11:55:38 AM
Reply #24

tivodoctor

My belkin is a version 3100.  It is plugged directly into the rear USB port of the WDTV Live.  I had to not only turn off the unit, but leave it unplugged from the power cord for a minute before it was recognized and worked.

October 28, 2009, 02:01:28 PM
Reply #25

linxin2lin

I ordered this card several days ago, and I got it yesterday, and its version is Ver.2053. I tested it on my LIVE, and it's not working.... Too bad.