Author Topic: Deal on Compatible USB Wireless Adapters for WD TV Live  (Read 5157 times)

October 21, 2009, 07:20:42 AM
Read 5157 times

HTown

I found this sale at NewEgg.com for Belkin F5D8051 for $19.99 after coupon code EMCMLNL39 regular price is $75.  I tested this last weekend and it works great.  No skipping while streaming from my Rosewill 5-bay RAID.  

Here's the link to the deal.

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/182047

October 21, 2009, 12:24:21 PM
Reply #1

Headcase_Fargone

You just had to post this right after I ordered a D-Link N adapter for $48, didn't you?

October 21, 2009, 12:34:39 PM
Reply #2

dslfanboy

Thanks, I just ordered one and appreciate you testing it out. That's one heck of a deal, and I have had good luck with Belkin products. 

October 21, 2009, 01:17:22 PM
Reply #3

matt314159

I already bought the Buffalo Mini that should be here today, but for $21.64 after tax I figured what the hell and went in for one, thanks for the head's up!

This gives me some options in restructuring my home network, actually.   Too many details to get into but thanks for sharing the great deal!

October 21, 2009, 03:03:08 PM
Reply #4

sweetvn

I found this sale at NewEgg.com for Belkin F5D8051 for $19.99 after coupon code EMCMLNL39 regular price is $75.  I tested this last weekend and it works great.  No skipping while streaming from my Rosewill 5-bay RAID.  

Here's the link to the deal.

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/182047

I tried that deal at newegg but it only give me $20 off instead of $19.99 :=(

October 21, 2009, 04:58:36 PM
Reply #5

keirmeister

You also have to include the promo code to get the additional $40 off.

October 21, 2009, 05:12:52 PM
Reply #6

matt314159

Yeah that was what I did, you have to add it to your cart @ $59 (down from $79) and then add the promo code and apply it, and it shaves off $40.  Free shipping, less than $2 tax, = WIN!

October 22, 2009, 03:11:11 PM
Reply #7

matt314159

got it delivered today.   WDTV Live won't see it.   Got pissed off and went back to old setup for now.  Will test more later.

October 22, 2009, 03:38:15 PM
Reply #8

dslfanboy

What!? Now I'm worried because I just ordered one after HTown said it worked for him. Is there some other reason it might not be working for you? It's even listed on the official WDTV page as a compatible device.

got it delivered today.   WDTV Live won't see it.   Got pissed off and went back to old setup for now.  Will test more later.

October 22, 2009, 03:53:33 PM
Reply #9

matt314159

What!? Now I'm worried because I just ordered one after HTown said it worked for him. Is there some other reason it might not be working for you? It's even listed on the official WDTV page as a compatible device.

I'll test more and report back.  When I hooked up my buffalo mini wireless adapter and go to network settings, it gives the option for wireless or wired, you set the SSID and password and you're off to the races.  

When I plugged in the Belkin, even after power-cycling the unit it doesn't show any wireless settings whatsoever.  I even took it out of its uSB extender cradle and plugged it right into the unit directly, and it didn't see it.  

I'm going right now to test more.  If it still fails in the WDTV I'll try installing it in my PC to make sure it's not just a DOA unit or something.

*UPDATE* Okay well nothing I have tried has worked.  I tried power-cycling with the unit in each port, did a complete system reset, everything I can think of and it just plain doesn't show up.   I even left it in the port with the unit on for like a half hour thinking maybe it would show up at some point.  Nada.   

At the moment I'm installing some stuff on my computer and when that's finished with I'll try this hooked to my windows 7 machine and see if the computer sees it.  I'm hoping for everyone's sake who bought one that maybe I just have a defective unit.   
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 04:51:29 PM by matt314159 »

October 23, 2009, 07:35:12 AM
Reply #10

HTown

I didn't plug mine into the cradle....just straight into the USB slot and it picked it up and I just entered my SSID and password.

October 23, 2009, 11:02:43 AM
Reply #11

matt314159

This is so weird and frustrating.   I tried mine every which way and it would NOT show up no matter what I tried.    Yet it's working perfectly on my PC.  I wonder if there are different versions of this card that maybe make a difference? 

On the back of my adapter it says Ver.2053 is that the same version # as yours?

October 23, 2009, 01:12:15 PM
Reply #12

dslfanboy

I just got mine today and I can also confirm it does not work. Mine is version 3100 and the wireless option does not show up. I'm just going to run a cable as this device has poor wireless support. There's no reason to make it so finicky unless they want to sell their own branded device for more $. The N1 was still a great price, just useless for the WDTV even though it is listed as tested on their website. Don't trust that list!

October 23, 2009, 02:18:19 PM
Reply #13

matt314159

I think it has to do with the version number.   With this kind of stuff, Version 1 might have a ralink chipset, Version 2 of the same model product might have an atheros chipset, etc.  A regular computer wouldn't care because you just load the drivers on the CD but a box running a limited version of linux does care and is finnicky. 

October 23, 2009, 03:17:36 PM
Reply #14

dslfanboy

My version was the same one listed on the tested compatibility list and it still didn't work. The exact name of the device is "F5D8051 V3100" and that is exactly what I have. Has to be more than just the version #, but everything you said about different chipsets in different versions is very correct. I forgot it's running a limited version of Linux, but it still shouldn't be so finicky. The newest Mediagate units are supposed to be very accepting of different USB adapters.