Author Topic: Does anyone have a positive experience?  (Read 7814 times)

October 23, 2009, 05:00:24 PM
Reply #15

schnoid

First post, and I wanted to use it to chime in on this thread.  :)

My experience is EXTREMELY positive. When I first saw my friend's WD TV LIVE and KNEW i needed to have it. It streams x264 MKV files like nothing I've ever seen before! Very smooth, no hiccups, no problems, fast forward, rewind, everything you could possibly ask for! I immediately ran out and bought one, and sadly I had an issue with networking because I was going Windows 7 at the time. Fortunately I was going to go back to Windows XP anyways, so I formatted, put on XP, and what do u know it works PERFECT! I love this thing! Seriously! Only issue I'm finding now is trying to set icons for all my movies, but I'm sure that will be worked out in the coming weeks/months. Nothing too dramatically life or death for sure.

October 23, 2009, 07:18:37 PM
Reply #16

KinisonKhan

Out of the box, works like a charm.   Everything appears to be fucking awesome!

Removed the boxy HTPC/XBMC out of the cabinet and put it in a closet.  Will take a look at the new custom firmware tomorrow.

October 23, 2009, 07:27:30 PM
Reply #17

Headcase_Fargone

Did someone say... custom firmware?  Tell me more.

October 24, 2009, 01:22:27 AM
Reply #18

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Did someone say... custom firmware?  Tell me more.

You may want to look in the "custom Firmware" section of this forum ;)

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?board=14.0
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

October 25, 2009, 04:06:47 AM
Reply #19

swartz

My experience so far has been mixed at best.

Biggest problem WDTV Live would not work with my HDTV over HDMI period.
Countless hours and HDMI still does not work.  >:(
Don't care if its HDTV or WDTV problem, I just want it to work when I plug it all in.
I did come up with a work around using component, see here:
http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=2513.0
Still not HDMI tho.

On the positive side, everything I have thrown at it gets played without a hitch.
But again I don't have any particularly esoteric or exotic video files. Just XviD, DivX, mvk, and the usual stuff.

I haven't had a chance to try out the network streaming from my network shares, that is on my to do list.
Although it connected to my network without a problem and I was able to try out Youtube.
So I can't comment much on network features yet.

October 25, 2009, 10:20:44 AM
Reply #20

Headcase_Fargone

I started getting dropped connections over wireless again last night.  It's possible it's not the WDTV's fault, but this never happens with my Roku streaming from Netflix.  I'm at my wit's end trying various configurations on my router.

October 27, 2009, 07:10:07 PM
Reply #21

wiiBox

I started getting dropped connections over wireless again last night.  It's possible it's not the WDTV's fault, but this never happens with my Roku streaming from Netflix.  I'm at my wit's end trying various configurations on my router.

I wouldn't tear your hair out over it.  The Live is buggy on the networking.  To be fair, most players are buggy when first out.  The scary thing is some of them remain that way.  But I'd say if you really had no problems with Netflix before, it's probably the WDTV Live that is the bottleneck.  But since it's wireless, sometimes the environment changes and that causes major headaches.  Although if you have other machines working concurrently without issue, then the WDTV is most likely cause of the drop outs, IMHO.

October 28, 2009, 12:12:08 PM
Reply #22

Headcase_Fargone

I think I may have solved the dropped connections issue.  My dumb ass had the router set to Auto Channel Select.  When it switches channels due to congestion (2.4ghz range in an apartment building, do the math) it drops all existing connections.  The WDLive doesn't seem capable of re-establishing a wireless connection when it loses one, forcing a power cycle.

I changed it to a set channel two nights ago and haven't had any further issues (yet).

October 29, 2009, 06:58:27 AM
Reply #23

statica

Nice that there is already a WD TV Live thread here so I can get some info from those of you who have already received your Live. I have just ordered mine but have to wait until Nov. 25th before I get mine as it has not yet been released here. I work as an IT Technician so ordered it through work. Have to pay roughly 150 USD for it which seems fair as hardware is often more expensive here  :(

So now I just have to get some reading done as all the posts you guys have already provided might help me prepare for my Live so that I can get it to work properly.

Thanks for all the feedback as it will certainly help me when I receive my Live  :)

October 29, 2009, 01:27:59 PM
Reply #24

sonic2385

So far, I'm very impressed with my WDTV LIVE
 it plays everything I have,  video quality awesome.
fast browsing etc...