Author Topic: Does anyone have a positive experience?  (Read 7815 times)

October 18, 2009, 01:47:33 PM
Read 7815 times

savant

Maybe I'm spoiled with WDlxTV and ext3-boot. But I'm really frustrated that I've yet to watch a single @#^#! video on my WDTV Live.

Has ANYONE had a smooth experience with this? If WD's next official firmware isn't scheduled to come out for another month, what's the point in keeping this?

I had such high hopes, it breaks my heart more than my wallet.

October 18, 2009, 02:24:16 PM
Reply #1

matt314159

My Live plays everything i've thrown at it, my only problem was getting it to see all my various shares.  Finally I just shared all three drives as a workaround, that made it "see" everything. 

But so far I like the criss-cross interface (forget its actual term at the moment), I like the youtube and pandora which seem to work w/o a hitch, my media plays just fine now that I can "see" my shares...

I've done a lot of griping about the implementation of the networking, but my opinion is this: It only gets better from here.   

October 18, 2009, 02:58:25 PM
Reply #2

mrg

Brought mine home, plugged it in, set a few menu options and started playing video and music from my DNS-323 NAS.  I have watched hours of video with not the slightest stutter.  Fantastic little box ;D

October 18, 2009, 03:19:44 PM
Reply #3

miglo

This is my FIRST dedicated media streamer, after having an XBOX + XBMC, XBOX360, PS3, and a dedicated PC.  It works when a drive is plugged into the USB.  The networking, which is the whole damn point of this thing, is completely broken.

October 18, 2009, 03:42:37 PM
Reply #4

Headcase_Fargone

I had some issues getting it to play over a wireless G network the first few nights, but for some reason that has all cleared up.  Everything else has worked great and I'm loving the little bugger now.  It saw all my shares immediately, etc.

The interface could definitely use some work.  Favorites sure would be nice.  I don't know that that's a priority for WD, but I'm sure someone will homebrew something up for it.

October 18, 2009, 03:46:41 PM
Reply #5

mrbill

Maybe I'm spoiled with WDlxTV and ext3-boot. But I'm really frustrated that I've yet to watch a single @#^#! video on my WDTV Live.

Has ANYONE had a smooth experience with this? If WD's next official firmware isn't scheduled to come out for another month, what's the point in keeping this?

I had such high hopes, it breaks my heart more than my wallet.

Since you asked.  My first WD TV Live played great for 84 min. then died. As for my second:

It came up running out of the box.  Plugged my router in,  watched YouTube in HD, listened to Live360.com, saw all Network Shares on my computer (XP) and was able to play any of the 800+ movies on my HDs. Also played a movie off DVD player on computer.
All in all, very ssmmmooootttthhh.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 02:56:58 AM by mrbill »
Running Win 7 Ultimate 64 and no problems anywhere.

October 18, 2009, 04:04:52 PM
Reply #6

zetaprime

My WDTV Live works beautifully when playing stuff off storage media that are connected directly to the unit. The problems I'm having only pertain to network connections, which don't last more than a few minutes at a time. I'm sincerely hoping that a firmware update will fix this, as I'm not the only one with the same exact problem.

October 18, 2009, 07:41:27 PM
Reply #7

asgard

Hi, Here is my setup:

- WDTV Live with factory shipped firmware.
- WDTV HD with WDlxTV 0.5.7.1 firmware.
- D-Link DWA-140 Wireless N USB Adapter (Rev B2 i.e. 3070 driver version)
- Linksys WRT-310N wireless gigabit router using latest DD-WRT beta firmware.
- Thecus N3200 pro NAS with 3 x 2Tb WD Green Power HDD running raid 5.
- Router/NAS located in a different room, signal passing through a few walls.
- Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers (Dolby/DTS decoder), running TOSlink cable direct.
- HDMI to Panasonic Viera G series 50" Plasma.

Had no issues streaming 1080p content on the WDTV Live via SMB/CIFS, and NFS streaming on the WDTV HD worked fine, I never tried SMB/CIFS on this older model sorry. All shares and boxes showed up fine on the network, the menu is not super fast to navigate, the option to remember/auto log to shares helps. Any MKV I've thrown at it have worked thus far, have not tried any "HD Audio" type files as far as I know, cannot confirm DTS downmix either as I have an external decoder. Even 2x fast forward works as smoothly as expected with this wireless setup... can't fault the unit(s) at all!

Relating to the problems people are having, try running a temporary cable if the issue is being seen on wireless to ensure poor signal is not the cause. On the above setup the old WDTV HD box was hitting just shy of 30Mbps as measured by a "time cat" test, have not had opportunity yet to access shell and bench the Live but rest assured I'll be all over that action once WDxlTV Live 0.1 hits :)

On the current factory firmware with WDTV Live the remote control "no respond" issue does not seem present, and I can confirm the older and newer units have an identical (interchangeable) remote.

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere but the Live supports 12 bit Deep Color with HDMI 1.3 also, with regards to the colorspace/rendering issue raised here with with WDTV HD I have no idea if the Live has this, visually they both look OK to me. Someone said this causes "noise" on black/darker scenes, well if its any indication they look pretty much identical in this respect i.e. non x264 source rarely goes full black, instead you see blocky variations of darkness on a high contrast screen.

All up I'd give the original unit a 7/10 as there are a few niggles and bugs, probably 7.5 to 8 with 3rd party firms, and the new Live an 8/10 - but with community firmware I'm sure we can make it a 9 or better!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 07:52:42 PM by asgard »

October 19, 2009, 08:45:52 AM
Reply #8

savant

So in general, the feeling is that it works fine, provided you don't use it as "Live", but off the USB ports. Whenever you try using the network is when people start to have problems.

And we'll be waiting a month, possibly longer, before we see a new firmware. Just awesome.

It's pretty sad/awesome when a single hacker can look at your product for a couple of days and make it work better than an entire development team, QA team, and product marketing team can pull out in the many months since inception of the product.

October 20, 2009, 07:07:44 PM
Reply #9

bennyismyname

Check out my post on a workaround for network shares if you are running vista

October 20, 2009, 10:30:42 PM
Reply #10

savant

Ok, so my initial reactions were bad on the product, but once I stuck a blank usb key in my wdtv live and coldbooted, I could see my shares suddenly. So given that, I've had good experiences with the box.

October 21, 2009, 10:34:07 AM
Reply #11

wiiBox

So in general, the feeling is that it works fine, provided you don't use it as "Live", but off the USB ports. Whenever you try using the network is when people start to have problems.

It's been ok so far using XP.  Although, I was surprised by a few extras like network access to usb drives.  My expectations were that low.  Even works when you are watching movie!  You have to use computer to manipulate in the background, but it worked.

And we'll be waiting a month, possibly longer, before we see a new firmware. Just awesome.

Do you have a source for the time frame?

It's pretty sad/awesome when a single hacker can look at your product for a couple of days and make it work better than an entire development team, QA team, and product marketing team can pull out in the many months since inception of the product.

I'm not sure that's entirely true... I don't think WD ever meant to go beyond it's stated feature list.  They've only ever added one extra feature and I think that's (almost working) idx/sub support.  Although it makes for some nice marketing, I think most people on forums overstate the case with moded wdtv1.  Those hacked fw's have been very, very buggy and ultimately, mostly only a workaround for the lack of networking.  Quite frankly, the stories of remotes not working after flashing mod put me right off getting wdtv1 and hacking networking on it.  So, in comes WDTV Live and hack is not needed, right?!  I read how powerful and less buggy networking is than on realtek players, so I end up grabbing a unit.  Hopefully it doesn't end up being a waste of time, but I'm on the fence.

I'd really like to see an official update before my 30 days is up.  I want to see picture quality -- the bedrock of sigma design, supposedly -- be improved because it's not quite there on some file types and network performance stabilized in the next official FW.  BTW, when will these things ever support more than one warppoint.  It seems really silly that my N year old dvd player (mtk 1389 chipset, anyone?) can play those files without issue.

October 23, 2009, 06:13:34 AM
Reply #12

RhodeNet

Hello all,

I am having VERY positive results with my WDTV Live. I can access all of my videos/photos from CIFS (SMB) shares. I have, however, added a NetGear ReadyNas Duo with 2TB (I'll have to increase this, eventually) and have great results.

I did notice that the CIFS shares, from the ReadyNas would disconnect after a few minutes, if not accessed, as Zetaprime indicated he has been experiencing. The fault, however, was not with the WDTV Live, but with the ReadyNas. Netgear has an update to the firmware "NoDisconnectSMB" that solves that issue. I am having no jittering at all. I am viewing on the new Sony 65" and video looks great, (including MKV and ISO files)

Last night I changed my network and created a VLAN on my NetGear Smart Switch, with my NAS, and WDTV LIVE segregated from the rest of the network. My Main computer is also on thie Vlan, as will as the main VLAN, so I can add no media to the NAS. This way, all of my non entertainment shares on my server are not accessible and visible from the WDTV (for privacy reasons).

The only issue I do have, is thumbnails. The WDTV shows thumbnails for the videos, but it also displays the JPG files, as well (unlike my original WDTV) I am wondering it there is a filter in the orignal WDTV that filters out JPGs, etc in the "Video Mode" and if that needs to be added to the WDTV Live - anyone else seeing this or have any ideas?

October 23, 2009, 07:54:00 AM
Reply #13

subslug

The only issue I do have, is thumbnails. The WDTV shows thumbnails for the videos, but it also displays the JPG files, as well (unlike my original WDTV) I am wondering it there is a filter in the orignal WDTV that filters out JPGs, etc in the "Video Mode" and if that needs to be added to the WDTV Live - anyone else seeing this or have any ideas?

Yep, same thing here. I read you can remove the file extension for the jpeg/jpg file and it will still associate it with the movie but only show one instance of the thumbnail.

Well, YMMV I just tried this and it didn't work for me.
Back to the drawing board.    ???

October 23, 2009, 08:39:21 AM
Reply #14

RhodeNet

RE: Thumbnails

Just did some experimenting. I reset the WDTVHD  to default settings to clear the caching or is it a mini DB? Got all my thumbnails correct, then restared the WDHTV. Same thing as before, both thumbnails and ISO images. I powered the WDTV off, then deleted the thumbnails (actually cut and pasted them in another directory) Powered the WDTV back up (did not do a reset this time) and the movies are all there with thumbnails and no jpgs!  They images are being store somewhere, hidden folder?? On my original WDTV there was a folder wdtv that held the data (is it cached or is it a mini database)

So all is fine now, but have to remember that next time I add a movie, to add the JPG also, then delete after is cachedd

WD developers - I am unsure it they are cached or in a file - please forgive me ignorance