Author Topic: WD Live - Initially ok now can't play audio or video files, pictures only  (Read 4720 times)

October 18, 2009, 10:38:37 AM
Read 4720 times

kringles

Initial intallation of the unit was successful. Was able to 'see' network shares. Successfully played picture(jpeg), audio(mp3) and video(DVD VOB) files from the shares. Played Youtube and Pandora files via the WD unit. Was also able to play Netflix, Hulu, CBS files from a PC with the PlayOn s/w installed. Performance was quite good for all except the Netflix via PlayOn picture was quite bad (this was probably a Netflix/PlayOn problem).

After about 12 hours the unit appeared to malfuntion. It would not longer play any file other than pictures (in my case jpeg). All network connectivity was fine, shares and folders could be browsed and audio/video files seen. Attempts to play the files resulted in the 'spinning' circle display lasting indefiately or in some cases followed in a few minutes by a message that the device could not connect to the network.

The same result occurred when attempting to access Youtube or Pandora via the WD unit or any item in the PlayOn menu (Hulu, CBS, Netflix, etc.)
Attempt to display pictures were fine indicating that network connectivity was intact. No events occurred from the time the unit was working to when it started to malfunction. Recycling power to the WD unit/router/PCs involved had no effect.

Before I return the unit to Best Buy for refund/replacement are there any other steps that should be taken to isolate/correct the apparent failure. I was satisfied with the unit when it was working and will probably give it another try with a different unit.

Thanks & Best Regards

October 18, 2009, 12:19:37 PM
Reply #1

kringles

Update/correction - I had mentioned that power cycling the WD unit did not correct problem. Turns out that cycling power via the remote does not but unplugging the unit does correct it. But the problem will reappear shortly, usually within a few minutes, sometimes longer. The unit runs pretty warm but not extremely hot.

October 18, 2009, 12:41:08 PM
Reply #2

wiiBox

Sounds odd, mine is nowhere near that unstable playing files.  Networks shares has gone down a copule of times, but the media server continues to work, so I know it's not the entire networking that fails on it.  It has also rebooted a couple of times.  All these faults seem to have no patern so far -- I can't reproduce them.

October 18, 2009, 01:18:53 PM
Reply #3

matt314159

Kringles, I'd say if it was working and now it's not (without any changes on your part) then it wouldnt' hurt to try to exchange the unit to see if the new one reproduces the same problems. 

October 18, 2009, 03:50:36 PM
Reply #4

kringles

Currently have been running the unit on Hulu via PlayOn, watched this season's Fringe episodes. Have been running for about 4 hours with no problem. I agree there seems to be no pattern to the problem. Have reported to WD and will see what response I get from them. As far as exchange the local Best Buy outlets are out of stock  on this item. I have 30 days for refund or exchange and will continue to evaluate while waiting for WD response or Best Buy restock. Will update this thread with any new info I get.
regards

PS the picture quality on Hulu is excellent, at least on Fringe.

Using wired 100 m network and HDMI to RCVR to 46" 1080p HDTV

October 18, 2009, 10:09:07 PM
Reply #5

wiiBox

Hi kringles,

I wonder how you went about contacting WD about your problem.  I may send them a note or two but I'm really not sure the best way to go about it.  Can you help? 

October 19, 2009, 07:47:57 AM
Reply #6

kringles

@wiiBox -went to their site here;

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp

Since it was on the weekend chose the email option to report my problems. Note that they have a phone support number. I saw somewhere thay may charge for phone service but read somewhere else that you get 30 days of free phone support on this unit from the time the first call is made.

BTW have been operating since yesterday with only one problem. Lost network shares but an hour or so later they came back without any action on my part. The media server portion was unaffected. Let unit run Pandora overnight with no problem. Have watched about 7 hours of Hulu (no problem) Also watched LOTR Return of the King via network share (no problem). Have left the unit powered on continuously during all of this testing. So far have not been able to reproduce my original problem (display pictures but no audio or video files). If this unit continues to operate this way I may keep it. But would definately like to find out if there is a software update that will fix the network related dropouts I and many others have experienced.

good luck
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 08:16:35 AM by kringles »

October 25, 2009, 12:08:07 PM
Reply #7

kringles

Use of the unit over the past week has indicated two primary problems, at least in my case.

1) Loss of the network shares, This happens at what appears to be random times. Can happen while playing files. Usually seems to 'fix' itself after some time but will eventually happen again.

2) Loss of ability to play certain files. Usually DVD VOB files via a network share. Network connectivity seems ok, file can be found but attempts to play files which played ok previously 'hang'. This does not seem to 'fix' itself, only completely power cycling the unit appears to correct.

Do not know if these problems are related but it is possible as both seem to happen with network shares.

When the unit works performance is great but these problems make my use very frustrating. If these problems are software related (as I hope) and corrected the unit will be a sucess. If not a software problem it is possible that I may have a defective unit. I currently plan to continue testing during the 30 return period from Best Buy. If not corrected by new software will return then. If my local Best Buy restocks, I will try another WD unit.

Is there any word on when new software will be available?

October 27, 2009, 06:25:45 PM
Reply #8

wiiBox

Hey, Kringles!

Thanks on the contact info, it confirmed what I suspected: It's bloody confusing!

As far as the Live unit, I support your trepidation whole-heartedly.  If history is anything to go by, it doesn't look too good for effective and prompt firmware (software) updates from WD that will take the Live to the next level.  WD just never did that with WDTV1.  They might have hinted at it, but nothing ever materialized.  But, I would expect the network issues to take priority in the first update they do.

Personnally, I haven't had the network drop unexpectedly, as in, in the middle of watching.  Which is probably why I'm still hanging in there, hoping for a miracle before 30 days.  But I have had slow performance from the Media server/upnp/dlna, usually from files with more than one sound track.  It's not a bitrate issues from what I gather so far since HD mkv files play without issues, but don't quote me on that one, I haven't watched an mkv HD movie in it's entirety from Media server.

If you happen to be bored one day you might want to try this sure fire way to force a reboot on your Live:  Go to Network Shares and browse to a folder with a movie and picture of some kind.  Press play on the folder and it will probably display the picture, but if you press next the movie will not play.  Anyways, back out and press play again on the same folder or another one and if your unit is like mine, it will reboot after pressing play the second time... or is it enter?

Thanks again for the info and please let me know if your unit reboots like mine... I'm bored.   :D

October 27, 2009, 07:15:22 PM
Reply #9

farkedup

Mine is doing this exact same thing. It started after playing over a network only since it was released but I've started using a USB drive too lately.

A complete power cycle does in fact temporarily fix this but it keeps happening to me. I'm going to disconnect the USB drive and reboot it to see if thats the issue.

October 27, 2009, 07:45:03 PM
Reply #10

wiiBox

Mine is doing this exact same thing. It started after playing over a network only since it was released but I've started using a USB drive too lately.

A complete power cycle does in fact temporarily fix this but it keeps happening to me. I'm going to disconnect the USB drive and reboot it to see if thats the issue.

Sorry, but who or what are you refering to?

What the fark are you talking about??    ;)

October 28, 2009, 02:07:11 PM
Reply #11

kringles

Hi wiiBox, Have been in communication with WD with no real answers. I turned in the unit for another one at BB. It has the same network shares droputs but so far no other problems. At lest I have a new 30 day return window. Will update this when and if I find out anything new.
regards

October 29, 2009, 10:35:59 AM
Reply #12

kringles

Update - the replacement box has had one 'lock up', in this case it would not respond to remote control commands and was not sending any audio/video out. Unplugging power and reapplying restored proper operation.  The network shares losses continue at a seemingly random pace. Media server and internet connectivity continue uninterrupted even at time of network shares loss. Have been in email communication with WD support. They state that they are aware of the network related problems and are working on a solution. There was no promise but it seems there may be a WD software update soon (next week?), keeping my hopes up but not holding my breath considering their past history with the earlier WD unit.
regards

October 29, 2009, 12:33:28 PM
Reply #13

wiiBox

Thanks for the updates, kringles.  Especially appretiate you relaying your WD contact info.

I never really thought my unit was faulty; I knew it would be buggy, but just how buggy was the question.  Kind of sad and desperate to have to admit to that.  But I guess that's why they can get away with it.  But you are entirely right, going by history, it doesn't look good... atleast for added value, extra features that firmware updates technically afford.  Coincidentally, WDTV1 just had a new firmware update (1.03) who's change log seems to be exactly the same as earlier updates.  Don't know what's going on there, no one seems to know what's new about it, but it's indicative of the firmware situation: a mess.

I really hope you are right about the update, soon, otherwise this unit will probably go back to the store. 

I don't mean to always be down on the WD player but it's the problems that draw most discussion, aren't they?  Underneath it all, Live has alot going for it... too bad it seems WD has no intention of taking full advantage of it all.

Anyways, do check back with us, kringles.  It's instructive.

Cheers!

November 01, 2009, 11:41:16 PM
Reply #14

htaddicted

I just had this exact problem and had to reset my unit by unplugging the cable as well.  I had this unit for couple of weeks now and it didn't cause any issues until today.  FYI, today is also the first time I tried PlayOn software.  I don't know if that had anything to do with this but I doubt it.  This would really disappoint me if it is indeed a hardware problem.  If it occurs again, this unit is going back!