Author Topic: REQ 1.02.10 - Dialogue Enhancement for Multichannel Audio  (Read 1050 times)

October 17, 2009, 11:01:12 PM
Read 1050 times

matt314159

To set the scene I've got a simple setup in the living room, a wall-mounted 42" LCD tv with Stereo In-Wall speakers and an old 100 watt Stereo Receiver driving them.  Watching an HD movie tonight I kept getting yelled at for turning the speakers up too high. "But I can't hear the dialogue very well!" I kept saying.  

It dawned on me that if I were playing back this MKV on my PC, all I'd have to do is open ac3filter and gain up the center audio track a bit to correct the problem.  

I'd love to see a "Dialogue Boost" feature that would give more weight to the center channel in Dolby Digital and (on the WDTV Live) DTS multichannel audio tracks when it's downmixing it to stereo, with incremental settings (like,"Dialogue Boost" +1, +2, and +3, where it boosts center channel levels by 10%, 15%, and 20%, respectively) so you can choose just how much you want to boost it.  

I don't know the logistics of how they'd make it happen software wise, but if it's possible it's one of my not-so-important feature requests I'd like to see integrated.  
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 11:08:48 PM by matt314159 »