Author Topic: Anyone streaming from a NAS?  (Read 6236 times)

October 17, 2009, 02:55:55 PM
Read 6236 times

Headcase_Fargone

So I've had this thing for three whole days now and I'm already considering buying a NAS to go with it.  I'm looking at all of the two- and three-bay NAS solutions out there, but am getting mixed opinions on whether or not they're suitable for streaming media such as the WDTV is built for playing,  ie high-res video.

Is anyone out there using a NAS to store their files?  How are you connecting to it from the WDTV?  Ethernet?  Wireless router?  Direct USB?

Any chopping/performance issues?

October 17, 2009, 03:23:09 PM
Reply #1

savant

Direct ethernet is the best solution, if you can get samba shares to mount properly.

October 17, 2009, 04:04:15 PM
Reply #2

mrg

I use a DNS-323, everything is direct wired, working perfectly so far right up to 1080p.

October 17, 2009, 04:42:10 PM
Reply #3

Headcase_Fargone

I use a DNS-323, everything is direct wired, working perfectly so far right up to 1080p.

When you say direct wired I assume you mean the NAS is connected to a router via ethernet as is your WDTV?  The DNS-323 is one of the units I was looking at because of the price, so that's definitely good news.

October 18, 2009, 02:51:48 AM
Reply #4

mrg

Yes, everything is wired to my router, D-Link DIR-655.

October 18, 2009, 07:01:33 AM
Reply #5

mv200i

I have ordered an Qnap TS-439 NAS box with three Samsung Ecogreen F2 1.5TB disks. The NAS will be running RAID 5 . I' am starting my "autum" project - building an storage library with all my digital media on it. Three PC's and WD TV Live will be accessing the NAS box.  Looking forward to stream content from NAS to WD TV Live..

/mv

October 18, 2009, 08:16:57 AM
Reply #6

Headcase_Fargone

Awesome, that's exactly what I wanted to hear.  I read on another forum that someone was having trouble streaming media from a DNS-321 because the transfers weren't fast enough.  Lots of stuttering, etc.

Looks like I'll be getting a 323.  Thanks.

October 20, 2009, 11:57:49 AM
Reply #7

dugan26

Im having an issue with a Zyxel nsa-220

Connection is into a Dlink Dir 655 router hard wired ethernet

It comes up under network share AND Media Server but I keep getting "there is no music in this folder" or no supported media or something like that (cant remember the exact term).

The Zyxel is DLNA is that all that I need? should this work?

I get the same thing when I map to my laptop shared drives as well as my mac shared drives.
Help -

October 21, 2009, 07:29:27 AM
Reply #8

HTown

I have a Rosewill RSV-S5 RAID 5-bay and have 2-1.5TB and 3-1TB drives.  I didn't do a RAID, just a straight up storage and shared HDs.  I using a Belkin F5D8051 USB wireless adapter attached to my WD TV Live and it's working great streaming HD movies thru wireless without any issue of skipping. 

Tonight I'm getting a 2nd WD TV Live through newegg and going to test one on wireless and wired watching the same movies at the same time and I will post the result tonight after my test.

October 21, 2009, 11:15:12 AM
Reply #9

dugan26

Ok,

I checked out Zyxel's website and found a new firmware which had a bunch more options for their media portion of the server. Once i upgraded the firmware this unit worked like a champ. I think the option which came with the new firmware Samba Support=ON, was what did the trick.

Does anyone know? is Samba support absoultely necessary to stream video and music?

Anyway Im up and happy - this unit rules.

Oh yea, I access the media on the NSA-220 with by accessing it through media server, NOT network shares.

October 21, 2009, 02:17:15 PM
Reply #10

HTown

I have a Rosewill RSV-S5 RAID 5-bay and have 2-1.5TB and 3-1TB drives.  I didn't do a RAID, just a straight up storage and shared HDs.  I using a Belkin F5D8051 USB wireless adapter attached to my WD TV Live and it's working great streaming HD movies thru wireless without any issue of skipping. 

Tonight I'm getting a 2nd WD TV Live through newegg and going to test one on wireless and wired watching the same movies at the same time and I will post the result tonight after my test.

Okay, here's my test.  I'm watching Transformer 2 1080p from my Rosewill RSV-S5 RAID.  One downstairs wireless using the Belkin F5D8051 and one upstair wired CAT5 cable watching the same file at the same time and no studder or skipping.  This is an awesome product.

October 21, 2009, 02:22:11 PM
Reply #11

HTown

Okay, here's my testing.  Running Rosewill RSV-S5 RAID (2-1.5TB, 3-1TB)...I have 2 WDTV Live player.  One running usb wireless adapter (Belkin F5D8051) downstairs and the other one upstairs wired CAT5 cable.  I'm watching Transformer 2 1080p at the same time and the same mkv file and no studder/skipping.  This WDTV Live player is awesome!!!!

October 21, 2009, 04:12:27 PM
Reply #12

asgard

Running wireless N benchmarked @ 65Mbps on the WDTV Live from a Thecus N3200 pro, 1080p streams perfectly, zero issues.

October 23, 2009, 04:17:05 AM
Reply #13

Headcase_Fargone

Now I'm getting impatient for my DNS-323 to come in.  I ordered a couple of 1.5tb drives to go in it and I just got my N WLAN running where I want it.  I was connected at 120mbps last night through two walls, one of which is an outside wall (balcony).  I've been very impressed with DLink's stuff so far, as this is the first time I've used it.

My Roku (802.11g) was killing my throughput, so I had to set up my old G router and use a separate WLAN just for it now.  But once I did that everything looks great.

October 23, 2009, 06:55:29 AM
Reply #14

clinthicum

• Personal Text
    AV Designer & Installer
    • HiTech Upgrades, LLC.
I've got mine hooked up to a Drobo NAS (three 1TB drives) and no problems what so ever. Runs, displays, and outputs like a champ.
Chris Linthicum
HiTech Upgrades, LLC