Author Topic: WD TV Live: Problems so Far  (Read 7127 times)

October 17, 2009, 11:24:52 AM
Read 7127 times

Hayduke

Picked up a WD TV Live from BB the other night.  This is my first experience with a box like this (I'm coming from an XBMC background).

Pretty nifty, but I've noticed a few issues so far in just a couple hours of use:

Very slight sync issue (50ms, maybe) on a lot of video content.  HDMI or Component to my TV, TOSLink to my receiver.  Would be nice if a/v sync was adjustable in software.

DVD rip on USB stick.  Watching some stacked vobs, after FF/RWing a bit, the movie was no longer watchable--black screen.  Powercycling the WD box did not change this.  Not sure what I have to do to make this watchable again.  Bizarre.

Samba share on redhat box:  Music and Pictures work fine.  Video does not--'unsupported format' message, I think.  Same videos work fine when played from local storage.

Also, the WD seems incapable of following symbolic links on the samba server.  Pretty annoying because my media server is a JBOD, with symlinks in the file system so I can present everything as part of one big share.  Oh well.

So on a hardware level, I'm amazed by what this box can do for the money.  But it's still a little rought around the edges, and the sync issue, in particular, is going to be a major annoyance if I can't find a workaround.

October 17, 2009, 03:24:29 PM
Reply #1

savant

Hayduke,

I'm having the damndest time getting my unit to recognize my samba share. Could I trouble you to post the relevant samba smb.conf entries?

October 17, 2009, 03:38:55 PM
Reply #2

3dxr

• Global Moderator

Hayduke,

I'm having the damndest time getting my unit to recognize my samba share. Could I trouble you to post the relevant samba smb.conf entries?

he is talking about WDTV Live

October 17, 2009, 06:27:16 PM
Reply #3

savant

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or him, 3dxr, but in either case, the request is the same; the samba configuration he's using. I can surf to my samba shares from my laptop as a guest account and can see all files, but when I go to "Network Shares" on the WDTV Live it doesn't display anything. I know that the network settings are good because Youtube and Pandora work fine.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 06:33:29 PM by savant »

October 17, 2009, 06:38:02 PM
Reply #4

savant

In an effort for transparency, here are my entries in smb.conf, maybe someone more knowledgable like 3dxr can spot the problem.

#======================= Global Settings =======================

[global]
netbios name = whisper
server string = whisper
workgroup = WORKGROUP
announce version = 5.0
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

;passdb backend = tdbsam
security = share
null passwords = true
domain master = Yes
preferred master = yes
local master = yes
;username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
name resolve order = hosts lmhosts bcast
map to guest = Bad User
dns proxy = no
usershare allow guests = yes
browseable = yes
#======================= Share Definitions =======================

create mask = 0775
directory mask = 0775

[Video]
path = /home/savant/Video
available = yes
read only = no
browsable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes

[Music]
path = /home/savant/Music
available = yes
read only = no
browsable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes

October 17, 2009, 07:23:22 PM
Reply #5

miglo

I'm running latest Unraid Beta Pro version as a media server and it also does NOT work with WDTVLIVE.  Unraid is based on Samba with NFS exports.  I can see the machine but not the shares.

October 18, 2009, 08:05:35 AM
Reply #6

Pennhaven

I'm running latest Unraid Beta Pro version as a media server and it also does NOT work with WDTVLIVE.  Unraid is based on Samba with NFS exports.  I can see the machine but not the shares.
That's discouraging. Since I just spent some $ to build an unRAID NAS which works fine with WDTV1 with ext3-boot modded firmware. Hopefully b-rad.cc will have a modded firmware out for the the WDTV Live soon that will allow you to manually mount your unRAID shares via a net.mounts file.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 10:22:50 AM by Pennhaven »

October 18, 2009, 09:32:39 AM
Reply #7

miglo

That's discouraging. Since I just spent some $ to build an unRAID NAS which works fine with the WDTV1 with ext3-boot modded firmware. Hopefully b-rad.cc will have a modded firmware out for the the WDTV Live soon that will allow you to manually mount your unRAID shares via a net.mounts file.

Unraid is an awesome solid product.  Been running it for over a year with ZERO problems.  Every other mediastreamers, desktops, and laptops have zero problems with it.  I don't know WTF WD did with WDTV2 to f' it up so badly with the network code.  I'm hoping for a firmware update soon or a b-rad.cc fix.

October 18, 2009, 09:53:54 AM
Reply #8

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
I'm running latest Unraid Beta Pro version as a media server and it also does NOT work with WDTVLIVE.  Unraid is based on Samba with NFS exports.  I can see the machine but not the shares.
That's discouraging. Since I just spent some $ to build an unRAID NAS which works fine with the WDTV1 with ext3-boot modded firmware. Hopefully b-rad.cc will have a modded firmware out for the the WDTV Live soon that will allow you to manually mount your unRAID shares via a net.mounts file.

hey hey hey its pennhaven ;D

I'm still working through (reverse engineering) a couple (showstopper) snags, but I'll be in the need of some snazzy wdlxtv-live graphics like you made for me way back :D If you're interested... (just welcome_logo & screen_saver)

If you had a serial cable you could get in right now and mount the stuff manually, something flashable will take some time. im working hard on it though.

October 18, 2009, 10:21:57 AM
Reply #9

Pennhaven

hey hey hey its pennhaven ;D

I'm still working through (reverse engineering) a couple (showstopper) snags, but I'll be in the need of some snazzy wdlxtv-live graphics like you made for me way back :D If you're interested... (just welcome_logo & screen_saver)
Not a problem b-rad. Actually, I  have already been thinking about it for you. Once you get this baby set up the way I expect you will, I will very likely be taking the plunge for a "Live" with your firmware. For the moment I'm letting the intrepid early early 'dopters pave the way. ;D (Spent enough time setting up my NAS the way I wanted it. Need a bit of a tech break for now.  8) )

October 18, 2009, 10:33:50 AM
Reply #10

Pennhaven

Unraid is an awesome solid product.  Been running it for over a year with ZERO problems.  Every other mediastreamers, desktops, and laptops have zero problems with it.  I don't know WTF WD did with WDTV2 to f' it up so badly with the network code...
Probably told to hit "x" target date, with "x" features "enabled", without enough (or the right) talent. The "Dilbert" scenario. Hopefully they'll sort it out the way it should be in new release before too long. (Though they still don't have the WDTV1 firmware altogether sorted out, as far as I am concerned. - So maybe we shouldn't be too optimistic.)

I'm also really pleased with unRAID so far, though I did have to invest considerable time getting up to speed with it. Good for my old brain to work on something new though.  :)

October 18, 2009, 11:31:06 AM
Reply #11

Hayduke

Savant, here's the samba config I'm using:

[global]
       encrypt passwords = yes
       log level = 2
       netbios name = straylight
       security = user
       socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536
       wins support = no
       workgroup = workgroup
       lanman auth = no
       min protocol = CORE
       lm announce = no
       character set = iso8859-1

[share]
       browseable = yes
       #fake oplocks = yes
       oplocks = yes
       valid users = @privusers
       public = yes
       writeable = yes
       create mode = 0770
       directory mode = 0774
       guest ok = yes
       path = /share
       read only = no

October 18, 2009, 12:44:04 PM
Reply #12

savant

Big thanks for the smb.conf entries. I'm afraid nothing is appearing in the shares section.

So frustrating that they didn't include an option to manually configure shares. Come on WD, you're not new at this!